1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Should i get the FIT or a GTI

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Should i get the FIT or a GTI

Hey guys well i finnaly have to get rid of my CR. I now have a dog thats geting big quick and my GF is about to move in with me in a couple of months. I also wanted to start camping doing more road trips i would also add a bike rack to the car. So i am looking for a fun 4 door hatch to replace my CR. I was looking at the Fit and GTI. Here are pros and cons for both that i see. Now i was also thinking i could turbo/supercharge the fit and make it a little faster.Let me know what u guys think. I can get used 07-08 GTI with 25-30k miles for $17-18k just as a refrence compared to cost of the FIT

Fit Pros-great MPG,cheap to maintian,cheap to buy,lots of space.
Fit Cons-Cheap interior,only fun in the straights. No turbo/not great with mods
GIT Pros- ok MPG for a turbo,nice interior,love the exterior,turboed fun fun,gains alot of power with just a chip mod.
GTI Cons-More expensive to maintain,Not as much space the seats don't fold flat,not sure on how realible over the years it might be.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM
You have to ask yourself a few questions, like do you plan to marry this girl? or start a family up with her? or how much are my bills going to be now with my girlfriend moving in? How safe is my Job. Do you want to pay for 93 oct gas for x amount of years. To me all of this plays a big role before I buy anything. If it's me looking at a car, I would buy a used Honda Fit. I would go to Autotrader.com, or Cars.com and start there. I seen some cheap fits with only 20,000 miles on them going for 14,000 and up. With a small down payment you could have payments in the mid 200's. That's the plan I would go for, but that's just me. I like to try to save my money, as I am trying to buy a house soon. Anyway you look at it they are both great cars.
Good luck buddy.

Last edited by HondaFreak05; 05-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
The GTI and Fit was my last two choices when looking for a new car. I really like the body of the GTI until I was informed of the need of premium gas 91-93. I decided on the 2010 Sport Fit last week mainly because it had better reviews/MPG/ alot cheaper and it wasn't from Germany! lol.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:58 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
I too wanted a GTI, but decided with the Fit because of less expensive parts. Ironically, my friend who bought a wicked white GTI had fun at first (super chips, rims, lowered), but then has so many electronics and engine components that need to be fixed. Yeah, its under warranty, but if it wasn't then there would be a high $$price tag$$ for things he has to repair.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
You make very good point. Well right now she does live with me but its not official she still has her own apartment for about 4 months. So i am use to paying all the house bills with her living there as is right now. I do see us geting married in the way future thats why i want her to move in with me. But i want to live with her for about a year or so before we talk about marrige she need to finish college first. My job if very safe i am in the USMC and make good money. The thing holding me back is i know the GTI cost more due to gas and maintance. But i have not figured out is the nice interior and fun factor of the turbo worth the extra money. I had a 08 fit and got board of it and traded it in for the S2000CR. And i am affraid i will get board of it again in a way. Keep the comments coming guys

Originally Posted by HondaFreak05
You have to ask yourself a few questions, like do you plan to marry this girl? or start a family up with her? or how much are my bills going to be now with my girlfriend moving in? How safe is my Job. Do you I want to pay for 93 oct gas for x amount of years. To me all of this plays a big role before I buy anything. If it's me looking at a car, I would buy a used Honda Fit. I would go to Autotrader.com, or Cars.com and start there. I seen some cheap fits with only 20,000 miles on them going for 14,000 and up. With a small down payment you could have payments in the mid 200's. That's the plan I would go for, but that's just me. I like to try to save my money, as I am trying to buy a house soon. Anyway you look at it they are both great cars.
Good luck buddy.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 AM
5 Year Member
Well if you bike alot the cargo space is amazing in a fit compared to the gti. thanks to those sinking seats in the back. i can fit my buddy's bike in there without even having to take off one of his wheels. so bikin solo and meeting up with friends is really useful in this car. but throwing a rack on is still a good option :P

Old 05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Vws over the years are a pain to maintain. My friends That work at a VW dealership call it "job security " lol

Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
all i can think about is the time and money spent on maintaining the vw. And if you would be talking about putting a turbo on the fit, im sure you could change the interior up to how you like it. I think in the long run you would be happier with the fit.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
Hey guys well i finnaly have to get rid of my CR. I now have a dog thats geting big quick and my GF is about to move in with me in a couple of months.
Don't get the Fit... your dog and fiance will constantly argue over who gets the generous amount of room in the back of the car!

Sorry... couldn't resist!

Seriously, I think you answered your own question. If the reason for getting rid of the CR is how quickly your dog is gaining size, and your girl will now occupy the front seat instead of your best friend, then, like I said, you already answered your own question!

GET THE FIT (GE) and don't look back! I think you also may have overlooked how often many GTI owners have to take their GTIs to the doctor for surgery! And those German rice surgeries ain't cheap!

If you have money to just p!$$ away, and you don't mind your best friend being cramped in the back (the dog I mean, not the girlfriend ) then go ahead and grab the GTI. However, if space and economy really are the real reasons for dumping the current ride, definitely go for the Fit.

Besides, you'll like the GE. I love mine now after almost 2 months of ownership.

My .02!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
As a former GTI owner (2003 1.8T) I can tell you get a Fit. You will pay LOTS less to maintain and or repair the car. As the Fit gains popularity more and more accessories and add-ons are being made so there is sure to be some stuff you can do to customize it to your liking. As far as speed is concerned, you cannot really have good fuel economy, lots of space and a really fast car capable of doing what you seem to want (carry G/F and Dog + bikes). If you really want to have something for speed, I might suggest a motorcycle for yourself and the G/F to ride on when you just wanna go for a run and get a Fit Sport for your Daily driving needs.

The Fit is a fun car, that will get great MPG and have plenty of room for you, your g/f the dog and all your biking gear with the bikes on the roof!

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Fit ftw!!! but srsly... you might have a little more fun with the GTI... but i prefer starting with a good car like the Fit and building it in a more exciting car, plus if you get tired, of having a sportier car, you can always part her out... with a GTI there is not much to do... i think that the Fit gives a lot more possibilities and flexibility. you have far more chances to keep your Fit than your VW

Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HondaFreak05
You have to ask yourself a few questions, like do you plan to marry this girl? or start a family up with her? or how much are my bills going to be now with my girlfriend moving in? How safe is my Job. Do you I want to pay for 93 oct gas for x amount of years. To me all of this plays a big role before I buy anything. If it's me looking at a car, I would buy a used Honda Fit. I would go to Autotrader.com, or Cars.com and start there. I seen some cheap fits with only 20,000 miles on them going for 14,000 and up. With a small down payment you could have payments in the mid 200's. That's the plan I would go for, but that's just me. I like to try to save my money, as I am trying to buy a house soon. Anyway you look at it they are both great cars.
Good luck buddy.
that's a smart friggin answer

Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Check out the VW's reliability reviews on TrueDelta.com

I used to own a VW. Never, ever again. Granted mine was a 1996 Golf and it was made just before they moved their factory back from Mexico to Germany. But still, their decision to build in Mexico reflects their business mentality. If you look at all the VW's on TrueDelta and not just the GTI, you'll find that their reliability hasn't changed much. Then look at the Honda's. ; )

That should help you decide.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Also consider the differences in insurance rates. I'm sure the GTI is considerably higher...just guessing.

Honestly I would say get the Fit. Lower cost of ownership, great utility, practicality. It just works. I have an '09 Fit and can't imagine owning any thing else right now.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
may i ask why you've narrowed down your choices between the Fit or GTI? a used 2006 forester xt with 20-40k miles sells around $12k: tons of space, already turbo, and subies live past 300k with regular maintenance (fluids/timing belt/spark plugs/filter). win/win

Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
I would go for GTI if it was new, but if your getting it used... just go for a fit, unless that turbo is important to you.

i came from having a heavily boosted car... so there was no way i was returning to boost when i got a new car... so a fit was an easy choice for me... but my 2 cars i had narrowed down to was a Scion xB and a Honda fit... but what that came down too was that i wanted to drive manual... so it became very easy to choose.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
Is the CR paid for yet?
If I were in your shoes, I'd get one of those good looking little bobber trailers before getting rid of the CR. [Before you laugh, an acquaintance went on several cross-country trips in an MR2 Spyder pulling a little trailer, and did great with it.] Are you under 25 years old, and your GF is still in college? What are you even considering marriage for yet anyway? Unless she is really your soul mate, and you really know it (because you do know it when you know it), then don't consider making vehicle changes just because she may one day be your wife. Keep the CR until it's paid for, and THEN consider getting a Fit for everyday. Once the CR's paid for, it won't cost much to keep in the garage for weekends/fun days.

And as much as I love VW products for their innovation and style, I'd buy an aircooled classic before buying anything recent. Oh, and the resale on them sucks. An '02 Passat, which was more money than my wife's loaded '02 Accord V6 is now worth MUCH LESS than her Accord.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
may i ask why you've narrowed down your choices between the Fit or GTI? a used 2006 forester xt with 20-40k miles sells around $12k: tons of space, already turbo, and subies live past 300k with regular maintenance (fluids/timing belt/spark plugs/filter). win/win
The 2003 Forester that we gave to our daughter when we acquired the Fit was the most reliable car I have ever owned (Fit is too new to compare, but I'm hoping it will be even better). Also, much easier to work on for routine maintenance than the Fit; Honda's engineers seem to package things for ease of assembly, while Subaru's engineers seem to put more emphasis on accessibility and ease of maintenance. The stock Forester has plenty of power, and is much more reliable than the Turbo. Gas mileage is only so-so, for the size of the car; we generally averaged 20 mpg around town and 26 mpg on the highway.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
The 2003 Forester that we gave to our daughter when we acquired the Fit was the most reliable car I have ever owned (Fit is too new to compare, but I'm hoping it will be even better). Also, much easier to work on for routine maintenance than the Fit; Honda's engineers seem to package things for ease of assembly, while Subaru's engineers seem to put more emphasis on accessibility and ease of maintenance. The stock Forester has plenty of power, and is much more reliable than the Turbo. Gas mileage is only so-so, for the size of the car; we generally averaged 20 mpg around town and 26 mpg on the highway.
my fiancé has a bone stock 2002 bug-eye wrx and it's even easier to work on than my Fit. various oil changes, one coolant flush, a fresh set of spark plugs, a timing belt, a new intake valve gasket, and 2 or 3 air filters have kept it as healthy as when she drove it off the lot -- it has nearly 200k miles on it now.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM
5 Year Member
I am not changing cars do to the GF she wants me to keep the CR. I am 25 right now and am not rushing into any thing with my GF i want to live with her for a while and also make sure we both make a good living before we get married. She is going to college for nursing and like i said i am in the USMC. I am wanting to change cars do to my dog now. Like when i go visit my mom in Tampa me the GF and the dog including all of our bags might get real tight in the CR LOL. The CR is not payed off i owe $20k on it right now. I have looked into the Wrx and Sti but they all were to pricey for how many miles they had. I have not looked at the forester at all. I might just keep the CR and buy a used car for around $7k for when we want to go camping or on a road trip

Quick Reply: Should i get the FIT or a GTI