1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

tell me about radio codes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
tell me about radio codes?

in the process of returning my '08, 5-speed manual, non-sport, back to stock. it has a cheap double-DIN pressure-type touchscreen aftermarket radio in it now. so i got a factory stock radio off ebay from a reputable dismantler who provided the VIN of the car it came out of. so i went through honda's process of getting the radio code and got one, easy peasy. here's what i did:

honda's web site asks for the VIN and the radio serial number, (and a couple other bits of personal info). so i gave them the VIN of the junked car that the ebay seller gave me, and the serial number of the radio it came out of, which was easy because it was on a sticker on the head unit, and voila in almost an instant, they came back with an email with radio code. so i have high confidence that the VIN they gave me is the VIN that matches with the radio serial number.

but here''s my question, when i install this radio, will it "see" the VIN of the car it's now installed in, and "see" that it's a different VIN than the car it was originally installed in, and not work... even though I have the radio code from honda?

in other words, does the radio have to be in the original chassis in order to work, no matter what, even if you have the radio code?

also have the radio code of the original (long gone) radio that came with the car, if that matters.

-peter

Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Good question! I imagine that new radio in old car will work if you have the radio code for the new radio. I think that Honda asks for the VIN and some other stuff to ensure that you're not just burgling cars for the radios (because who steals stock radios anymore, and if they did, who would bother to jot down the VIN before bailing?). But there is only one way to be sure... Plug it in and let us all know what happens!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
I installed a GSR head unit in my Civic many years ago that had a code and there was no issue. I would imagine that the unit is not smart enough to read the VIN of the car it is in. It's probably programed form the factory and will work with the code you have.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Not at all. I have a head unit from a sport model in my base, have had it for years and no issues.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 AM
interesting for you to think of it that way, but i don't think it'll make a difference. as long as you have the radio code it's fine

Old 09-16-2014, 01:49 AM
radio source doesnt matter. if no code, providing the VIN to your local dealer will allow them to lookup the correct code

Be nice. a dealership can technically charge you "diagnostic" fees for getting the info. if you are professional and nice, they might do it for free

Old 09-16-2014, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
^^ Indeed.

Using the vehicle's VIN just gives whoever is looking up the radio's code access to the radio's serial number which is needed to get the correct code. In other words...

VIN ----> To get Radio Serial number

Radio Serial number ----> To get radio code.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
^^ Indeed.

Using the vehicle's VIN just gives whoever is looking up the radio's code access to the radio's serial number which is needed to get the correct code. In other words...

VIN ----> To get Radio Serial number

Radio Serial number ----> To get radio code.
Now this ^^^ is a good clear answer.

(not that the others weren't most welcome either )

Thanks alll.

-Peter

Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
and a final followup?

it's all good in the 'hood. the stock fit radio i got off ebay, is working like a champ. getting the radio code was hassle free from the honda web site, using the serial number of the radio, and the VIN of the car it came out of (thanks to the professionalism of the junkyard, that included the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of).

for the record, the radio came out of a fit sport, and mine is a regular fit.

-peter

Last edited by pcrussell50; 09-19-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pcrussell50
and a final followup?

it's all good in the 'hood. the stock fit radio i got off ebay, is working like a champ. getting the radio code was hassle free from the honda web site, using the serial number of the radio, and the VIN of the car it came out of (thanks to the professionalism of the junkyard, that included the VIN of the vehicle the radio came out of).

for the record, the radio came out of a fit sport, and mine is a regular fit.

-peter
Hah! Same thing I did. I have a base model and got a head unit from a sport. Gotta love the mp3/wma capability and the preset equalizer.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
And as a follow up, I got the pre-made AUX cable that has the gray "B" plug that goes into the back of the head unit and ends in a male stereo plug, which is perfect for plugging into my smartphone or a little bluetooth dongle I sometimes use. And the sound is very good, with pretty close volume matching to the radio. Very happy camper.

-Peter