2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

1-Track Mind Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 AM
1-Track Mind Turbo Kit (GE8) 09+ FITS

NEW THREAD, NO MORE ONE-TRACKMIND, TURBO IS STILL IN THE WORKS

NEW THREAD:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post927138

Last edited by jurassicJAM; 10-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Looking forward to it.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Can you just make a tubular T3 or MHI or Audi flanged manifold and downpipe (with an extra o2 sensor bung and an EGT tap) for the L15As? I keep reading these threads about "new kit coming out" and next to none of them actually get developed.

Probably because the number of people who are going to actually spend >$3k on ~50whp is very small as evidenced by perusing this forum for a few days..

Instead, you can just make a couple batches of manifolds and your odds of actually having a healthy profit after are much improved because all you are paying for after initial prototyping is a guy with a plasma cutter, band saw, welder, jigs, flanges and a sch 10/40 materials..

Then you will have the retained earnings to work on a full kit and be less vulnerable for it. This market needs components not kits.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
i hope this thread won't break a lot of hearts...

Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Can you just make a tubular T3 or MHI or Audi flanged manifold and downpipe (with an extra o2 sensor bung and an EGT tap) for the L15As? I keep reading these threads about "new kit coming out" and next to none of them actually get developed.

Probably because the number of people who are going to actually spend >$3k on ~50whp is very small as evidenced by perusing this forum for a few days..

Instead, you can just make a couple batches of manifolds and your odds of actually having a healthy profit after are much improved because all you are paying for after initial prototyping is a guy with a plasma cutter, band saw, welder, jigs, flanges and a sch 10/40 materials..

Then you will have the retained earnings to work on a full kit and be less vulnerable for it. This market needs components not kits.
I'll talk to my mechanic tomorrow and we'll see what other options we can put out for you guys, don't worry though... as a GE owner, i seriously know what its like seeing the prices of these kits and the outputs on power. Once we get this up and running, let's hope i surprise ya. Just don't lose hope or feel hopeless about this turbo.

Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
i hope this thread won't break a lot of hearts...
keep your head up bro! gonna get information out to you guys asap!!

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by jurassicJAM
I'll talk to my mechanic tomorrow and we'll see what other options we can put out for you guys, don't worry though... as a GE owner, i seriously know what its like seeing the prices of these kits and the outputs on power. Once we get this up and running, let's hope i surprise ya. Just don't lose hope or feel hopeless about this turbo.

keep your head up bro! gonna get information out to you guys asap!!
If you can make a GD and GE tubular alone for even $400-500 I will mail you the collector flanges. That is still a bit of a rip off but enough to make a good business model and worth the price of admission for a nice one! I mean a divided T4 for either of my other cars runs $1300, thats not even coated!

Please do not come up with any proprietary turbine housing to downpipe or housing to manifold bolt patterns. That has been the biggest restriction to the Turbo Fit community. If you are tired of seeing these prices give us the one critical component we need to make our own turbo and configuration choices.

Also: Internal or External wastegating? If it is internal can you make the flapper a minimum of 38mm so there is no creep? If you can fit them, there are cheap brand new MHI TDO5H Evo 3 "16Gs" available all over the place that would be very efficient at low boost (.5-.8bar) and outright absurd anywhere in between 1-2bar! Great pump gas turbos and plenty of compressor wheel so you can offer multiple "stages" for the kit!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 10-06-2010 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
i dont think a GE can have a tubular manifold...isnt the manifold/header part of the head? at least this is what i read.

and the odds of fitting a tubular manifold on a gd without major clearance issues are against you.

best bet is a simple adapter type manifold for the GE (cant imagine it being hard to make.
and a log manifold for the GD. no reason for more than a log, the L15's power output is limited by its weak internals so chances are no one will see hp #'s where a tubular manifold will make a difference.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
i dont think a GE can have a tubular manifold...isnt the manifold/header part of the head? at least this is what i read.

and the odds of fitting a tubular manifold on a gd without major clearance issues are against you.

best bet is a simple adapter type manifold for the GE (cant imagine it being hard to make.
and a log manifold for the GD. no reason for more than a log, the L15's power output is limited by its weak internals so chances are no one will see hp #'s where a tubular manifold will make a difference.
A friend of mine just got a GE two weeks ago, I will have to investigate this.. I would settle for a log mani, but equal length would be nice where possible.

Those who are looking to go forged rotating assembly could very well see enough airflow where less turbulence and even exhaust pulses would be beneficial, and for low boost/CFM guys... think better spool.

Is there an established part failure coinciding with higher power? Rod bolts, wrist pins, the rods themselves? That sort of thing. The OE components are always pretty beefy compared to the duty they are intended for, margins of >50% over maximum service stress are usually put in place.

Has the Fit seen enough experimentation to determine a consistent level of failure above XXX HP/TQ?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM
5 Year Member
im much more active on 8thcivic, so i know more about the civics internals..... if the L15 is anything like the R18 engine, it has VERY weak rods.
blown engines at about 220whp on the r18 civics (double stock HP)...id expect about the same on the fit, so maybe 180-200whp before concern. thats easily achievable on a log manifold.

and at 200+hp, not only internals are a concern, but your tranny. TBH, the few people who might consider a built engine for boost levels that require a tube manifold, might just be better off getting it built custom, especially since a tube manifold is the least of their costs.

this platform (both GD and GE) desperatly needs a "cheap" basic manifold to be made for it.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
im much more active on 8thcivic, so i know more about the civics internals..... if the L15 is anything like the R18 engine, it has VERY weak rods.
blown engines at about 220whp on the r18 civics (double stock HP)...id expect about the same on the fit, so maybe 180-200whp before concern. thats easily achievable on a log manifold.

and at 200+hp, not only internals are a concern, but your tranny. TBH, the few people who might consider a built engine for boost levels that require a tube manifold, might just be better off getting it built custom, especially since a tube manifold is the least of their costs.

this platform (both GD and GE) desperatly needs a "cheap" basic manifold to be made for it.

I couldn't agree more with that last bit, and thanks for the info on the Civics!

180-200whp is basically my long term goal, and with an efficient compressor and some methanol I think it is more than do able without opening the block for shiny new parts, but eventually cylinder pressure will take its toll on the bearings and connecting links like rod/main bolts. Not too mention the PTW clearances are intended for N/A and only like ~14lbs/min airflow.

You are probably right in that regard with relation to the con rods in the Fit, a gentleman with a Turbo'd GD3 in South Africa observed something similar.

As far as the trans is concerned.. I think with some tighter shims/preloads in the 5-spd, having the guys at TRE, Shep, Dogbox or Jack's undercut/debur the gears then with REM, ISF and Cryo treatment and not-too-harsh-clutch/pressure plate coupled with a good driver I bet the fit trans can handle 200lb-ft in stride.

With all bells and whistles, this service usually cost ~$600-900 plus ~$150 shipping but you got to pay to play.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed! im optimistic! hopefully this doesnt fall out...will u be making this for A/T too? I'm hopeful..

Old 10-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Correct The GE's have an integrated manifold

Old 10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by SikFit2k10
Correct The GE's have an integrated manifold

Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
Subscribed, but guarding my heart on this one.

Would also want to know if what you're working on would be A/T friendly.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
Right now our focus is on the GE model! AND YES this will be A/T friendly, the r&d car being used to develop this turbo is off an A/T GE8. You guys are in for a treat, keep up the subscriptions, no letting you guys down!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
You guys would need to delete the cat for the turbo, correct?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jurassicJAM
Right now our focus is on the GE model! AND YES this will be A/T friendly, the r&d car being used to develop this turbo is off an A/T GE8. You guys are in for a treat, keep up the subscriptions, no letting you guys down!

Last edited by ThEvil0nE; 10-07-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:46 AM
What sort of adapter plate will you guys have to use to mount the turbine housing?

What size turbine exducer and A/R?

Can you put in some extra bungs and plugs for EGT probe and aftermarket UEGO so we can retain our stock sensors?

Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
to be honest, alot of people have been waiting for FI on the GE that most of us that really do want it are antsy as f*ck LOL. Like me, I hawk this thread everytime I turn on my laptop...It's like being in a new relationship, you always wanna be with that girl, but I hope this relationship doesn't end badly like the others! (F-Tech, Kraftswerks and whoever else)

Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
It's been two days admittedly... but there don't seem to be any preliminary details aside from GE8 and A/T.

Which is concerning, was this thread just to get your name further established in the Fit community? It sounds like you have a car to work with.. so what have you come up with so far?

What turbos are you considering? Fueling (injectors/pump/regulator)? Tuning hardware? Intercooler or type of charge cooler? What CFM/boost/whp goals?

Anything other than "We have vague plans for a turbo kit?"

Usually when one is contemplating a new product there is an outline... don't be afraid technical specs and terms are fine!

What sort of experience do you have with forced induction? Have you guys developed your own kits for other engines?

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 10-07-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 1-Track Mind Turbo Kit