2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

The 51R battery is the better choice for the Honda Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SevereService, I for one appreciate your posts and look forward to seeing the pics of your 51r installation. I've been considering a proactive replacement of the stock 151r battery in my 2009 Fit. I am looking at a possible 51r swap, but wonder if its worth the hassle of trying to shoehorn the larger battery in there.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
I was going to get the 51R optima, but I did want to get the extra cables needed so I got a 151R.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JazzITup85
I was going to get the 51R optima, but I did want to get the extra cables needed so I got a 151R.
why the need for extra cables? Does it have to do with your model year?

Old 08-14-2013, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
Snip... if you guys are ever letting the battery power your accessories while the engine is off for more than a couple of min, you should really hook it up to a charger. even a 1A or 2A is fine. keeps the battery awake.
Yup! I've been using the 'Battery Tender' on all my vehicles for many years, including my March 2008 Fit Sport, which is not driven daily. Its original battery still works fine and still load tests fine. The DieHard in my '88 Chevy K1500 4x4 is now 11 years old, also maintained by a 'Battery Tender'. Very good investment.
-Rod

Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Yup! I've been using the 'Battery Tender' on all my vehicles for many years, including my March 2008 Fit Sport, which is not driven daily. Its original battery still works fine and still load tests fine. The DieHard in my '88 Chevy K1500 4x4 is now 11 years old, also maintained by a 'Battery Tender'. Very good investment.
-Rod
Where do you get this battery tender? So when I go on vacation and leave my Fit in the lot I leave this plugged in and it will keep the battery charged but won't over charge?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
you can just type in battery tender into your search engine and then go to the Amazon link to see the battery tender plus. It will explain "everything" on that site.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, i got mine from amazon as well 4-5yrs ago. working great. $24-25 shipped on prime. it's well worth the money.

on my hobby cars i hardwired the emblical cord that the battey tender comes with diretly to the battery terminals. i just plug it in after the drive. it will charge and float automatically. (float is not damaging like trickle charging... does not over charge).

Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
or "float charger" as I believe Battery Tender is just one brand of these.

I got one for a boat battery that sat in the garage for 7 months of the year. It's seen use on the Fit once.

If you leave a battery sit for long periods of time, it sulfates which will shorten capacity and life. A float charger prevents this. It's better than a trickle charger as it is "smart" and won't overcharge.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's just a few weeks once a year. But if it's sitting more frequently for more than a week it's not a bad idea.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-14-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ds61761
SevereService, I for one appreciate your posts and look forward to seeing the pics of your 51r installation. I've been considering a proactive replacement of the stock 151r battery in my 2009 Fit. I am looking at a possible 51r swap, but wonder if its worth the hassle of trying to shoehorn the larger battery in there.
Installing a 51r is about as much hassle as installing a 151r, there's really no modification necessary. If you want to keep the plastic undertray, you have to saw off side of it but it is very easy to cut. You could probably do without the tray altogether.

What's a hassle is living in a cold climate and wondering whether or not your car will start every morning. The 151r just doesn't cut it if you live north of the mason Dixon line.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM
my battery still works fine, I currently have only my 400rms pioneer amp hooked to my ten inch sub, and I can listen to music on low volume with the blower fan going on 2 speed for about 45 minutes and the car still starts fine.

It would behoove you to get a better battery ground and add a second one that travels to the timing chain engine mount, using the same bolt as the harness ground.

It really does make a great difference if you watch for it.

I do however have a 51R sitting around that will immediately go into my car the second my honda battery shows signs of weakness. Then the honda battery will be an emergency booster battery while the new 51R lasts 10 years lol

Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by BurntZ
you can just type in battery tender into your search engine and then go to the Amazon link to see the battery tender plus. It will explain "everything" on that site.
Good, Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 09:37 AM
I am now awaiting AAA to come jump start my car. I took a short nap in my car just now and I cant get it started. I havent yet installed the 51R but if I had it under the hood the car would have started. Fortunately Im not in the middle of nowhere when this happened. I drive so much for work there are times where I just take a quick nap.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SevereService
I am now awaiting AAA to come jump start my car. I took a short nap in my car just now and I cant get it started. I havent yet installed the 51R but if I had it under the hood the car would have started. Fortunately Im not in the middle of nowhere when this happened. I drive so much for work there are times where I just take a quick nap.
I hope you broke down on Riverside Drive viaduct in western Harlem where I did once. People came out and put garbage cans behind my disabled car to act as cones and prevent others from ramming into me. They also brought me food and water on that hot July day. Even the cops paid me a visit every hour to make sure I was doing OK. Yes "every hour." I was up on the viaduct for over 4 hours waiting for a tow from GM in the hot sun.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
why the need for extra cables? Does it have to do with your model year?
09-^ models have a block on the positive termial that doesn't fit on the 51R according to some members here.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JazzITup85
09-^ models have a block on the positive termial that doesn't fit on the 51R according to some members here.

The block fits fine on my '09- no cables or post spacers needed at all.

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/6538/1000160j.jpg

Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
The block fits fine on my '09- no cables or post spacers needed at all.

yeahbut yours is suspiciously stock airboxless.

Here's my stock Fit (with original battery).

Should we send someone round to check on ss?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Steve244
yeahbut yours is suspiciously stock airboxless.

Here's my stock Fit (with original battery).

Should we send someone round to check on ss?
Send anyone "around" that you want. I use a PRM intake, but will put the stock intake back on next year for my state-required smog certification, then will put the PRM back on. None of that makes any difference in the cable position or mounting on the battery.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
ss=severe service. he's been quiet. maybe he got rolled.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:27 PM
I did try installing the battery, but I needed some extra parts. You absolutely need an extension cable to re-route that positive red block you see in the photos. The battery scrapes against the upper airbox and the headlight so there is no room from the positive red block terminal.

I bought some parts from Autozone today and will try on Sunday. Its basically a 12 inch extension cable which attaches to the positive terminal on the battery. It was like $7 I think.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Stock battery on my wife's 09 Fit Sport still cranks fine.. However, if and when I have to replace, I think I'll go with the stock 151R.

I don't have a Costco membership, and if the lowest price is around $83 for a 51R, then I think I will go with stock 151R that I can get around $90 with $40 off discount code from Advanced Auto. No need to buy extra cables to make the battery fit on a Fit.

BTW, a better way to search this forum for threads related to 51R battery => type this into Google:
site:https://www.fitfreak.net/ 51R battery

Quick Reply: The 51R battery is the better choice for the Honda Fit