2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit
View Poll Results: Was this DIY helpful?
Yes, it helped me with my install.
47.06%
No, it wasnt helpful.
0%
It looked helpful but I didn't try this install.
51.47%
It could have been clearer.
1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

DIY GE8 Mesh Grille

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
DIY GE8 Mesh Grille

I know there is a thread talking about doing this but I didn't see a detailed "how-to" and since I did mine today I figured I would document it since so many people are interested in doing this mod.

Heres a link to it on my blog: Continued: DIY Honda Fit Grille

I'll also post it in this thread.
Please note that this modification was done on a 2009 base model Fit.
There may be some differences between this installation and yours.

This should be a mandatory modification for any Honda Fit owners. It will protect many vital components from damage by road debris that will not be covered under warranty.
(This how-to is for educational purposes only. I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your vehicle.)

Step 1:
Locate the 8 fasteners.

Step 2:
To minimize damage to plastics you can wrap a flat head screwdriver in cloth.
First you pop the middle circle of the fastener.
Then you pop the body of the fastener.
Note that there are long and short fasteners, keep track of where the long ones came from.

Step 3:
Locate the 4 fasteners and 2 screws on the grille and remove them carefully.

Step 4:
I ordered 1 foot of black mesh from McMaster-Carr. It is already 3 feet wide; wide enough for the opening on the base model Honda Fit.
Cost of mesh + shipping = $6.44
I test fit the mesh and estimated I needed 8.25 inches and used a straight edge and a razor to cut off the extra.
I had some mounting bases left over in the garage. These should be easy to find at any hardware store.
I used black zip-ties to match the color of the grille and be less visible.

Step 5:
I used 13 mounting bases in various places around the opening I felt would be the best place to hold the mesh.
A mirror was helpful.

Step 6:
There will be 6 areas that stick out and would keep the mesh from laying flat against the opening.
Carefully cut openings for these to pass through the mesh.
Now zip-tie the mesh to the mounts. (This was the hardest part of the install)

Step 7:
Put everything back in reverse order.
Remember to put the long fasteners back in the proper holes.
Step back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned
Nice install! On the 13 mounting points. Did you have to drill to attatch the pull ties or are there holes already there? Might have to re-do mine as I don't really like the pull ties wrapping around the stock grill. Didn't see those spots you attached to.

Nice base Fit!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Chad T
Nice install! On the 13 mounting points. Did you have to drill to attatch the pull ties or are there holes already there? Might have to re-do mine as I don't really like the pull ties wrapping around the stock grill. Didn't see those spots you attached to.

Nice base Fit!
I used the mounting bases from the photo in Step 4. They are low profile and have an adhesive backing that you stick to the inside of the bumper. This way you don't have to muck up any factory parts with drilled holes and whatnot. I didn't know the price on these because I had some leftover in the garage. They should be easy to find at any hardware store. Good Luck on the re-install!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
Oh cool. Now I see it. Never saw those before. Great idea.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
That's an excellent job! The only thing that gives me pause with this install is the mounting brackets. Any stick-ons I ever dealt with, no matter how industrial the claim, eventually fail and come unstuck. And in this instance with all the punsihment they're gonna take in there, it's my opinion they will fail over time. The last thing I would want is the mesh coming undone while in motion. But it DOES make for a very clean install. When I do mine, I think I'll be opting for the zip tie approach for better reliability and peace of mind.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-14-2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
That looks really clean!

For my mod, I just zip-tied it to some holes on the chassis that I found. So far I haven't heard any rattling, so if you don't have the zip-tie holders, then that could be an option.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Nice DIY, good job. I really like your idea of using sticky anchor points, this is going to save me a lot of drilling when I install my mesh this weekend.

I was planning on removing the whole bumper, but now that I see that doing it from the top is possible, I might do it your way instead.

Thanks !

Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Ah, finally someone who doesn't use MS Paint to hastily circle screws and what not.

+Rep!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
for my mod i used ss wire to hold the mesh on the front, you would need to look very hard to see them. And on the inside of the bumper on the left and right side of the opening there are two little posts with holes in them. i took a screw and a washer and held the mesh on with that then streched the mesh so it was nice and tight then put in the other screw. its like honda put them there for this reason

Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Looking very good, just ordered some mesh myself so I guess I'll have to set aside some time to get this done. I see the David McDavid tags on the car... you must be in the DFW area?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Looks good. Those sticky mounting bases hold on really well too, even in water and stuff. I have used them before in the past, and they really hold on as long as you clean the surface of any dust/dirt.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to give this a try, the cable tie anchor mounts and cable ties also available from McMaster-carr as "cable tie holder"

Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Co0LFiT
Looking very good, just ordered some mesh myself so I guess I'll have to set aside some time to get this done. I see the David McDavid tags on the car... you must be in the DFW area?
Yup, I'm in the Carrollton/Plano area and pass through Frisco a lot.

Originally Posted by raytseng
I'm going to give this a try, the cable tie anchor mounts and cable ties also available from McMaster-carr as "cable tie holder"
Do you have a link to the parts you found? That would be helpful for some people.

Originally Posted by Kwonye
That looks really clean!
Originally Posted by Alex007
Nice DIY, good job. I really like your idea of using sticky anchor points, this is going to save me a lot of drilling when I install my mesh this weekend.
I was planning on removing the whole bumper, but now that I see that doing it from the top is possible, I might do it your way instead.
Thanks !
Originally Posted by Tyrsis
Ah, finally someone who doesn't use MS Paint to hastily circle screws and what not.
+Rep!
Thanks guys! I tried to make something of value to the forum, I hope it helps some people.

Side Note: I've noticed a bunch of little cuts on my hands today at work. If you have work gloves it might help when you are manipulating the mesh. Its plastic but its sharp.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:24 AM
do you know which particular mesh you used? i was looking around on that website and i couldnt find the one you used. Is it plastic or metal? Hows it do in cold or watery conditions?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by jquan23
do you know which particular mesh you used? i was looking around on that website and i couldnt find the one you used. Is it plastic or metal? Hows it do in cold or watery conditions?
Click the link I put in Step 4. It will take you directly to the mesh I used. It is a hard plastic. It should hold up against most debris. I think I would avoid anything big enough to bust it. I didn't do metal because it would have been a b**** to get in and out over and over as i cut it to size. As for cold and watery conditions... I haven't experienced either yet. I live in Texas, it might be a while before I experience cold weather. But I'll update the thread with information when I experience any bad weather or run into any problems with the install.

Last edited by Retrofit09; 08-15-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Nice job, looks really clean!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
College Hills Honda did not send me any additional clips when they sent me my horn. I installed it today and the horn was super easy to install. I did the horn and the mesh guard to protect the engine.

Needless to say the clips were jacked up and now I need to find some new ones. Anyone have any idea on the price for those? I think I want the dealer to put the clips in. It was a massive hassle.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:12 AM
I think these are the part numbers. There is a long style and a short style, as seen above in my pictures but I'm not sure which is which.

91505-S9A-003
91506-S9A-003

They aren't cheap either. Around a buck a piece. Thats why I used a cloth covered screwdriver to remove mine. Be careful when you guys take apart the grille.

A couple of my sticky zip-tie mounts came loose, a few on the bottom part. I think I had tightened the zip ties too hard and it was causing unnecessary strain on the mounts. Just keep that in mind if you guys use these mounts.

EDIT: The clips I talk about above are the fasteners you remove in the steps. I just did the horn install today and realized what fasteners you were talking about. I don't know the part code to those.

Last edited by Retrofit09; 08-21-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Different Clips
Old 08-21-2009, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
WOW cool dude! btw I got mine from McDavid too lol. small world.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
I will certainly use a cloth when doing the fasteners, but those little suckers worry me. I have zero luck with such things as weird fasteners. I hope they come out ok. Do they go back in easy enough? A little light tapping or so? I'm guessing you need to get the body down first and then lock them in by tapping down the center?

As to the mounting brackets, I was afraid that could happen. It may be you over tightened, but it's more likely the sticky failed. I would suggest if you have to go back in anyway, you may want to re-think the stick on brackets. You don't want the mesh to do more damage than a rock would do, by coming unstuck. It's just too risky. I gotta admit though, it makes for a beautifully clean install. But at what possible cost? After all I've seen with the zip ties right on the grille, they really don't show enough to be concerned, imo. Jeez, I wack my back just looking down there to size up the situation! Anyway, thank you for the link to that mesh, retro. I have a 3' length on the way.

Dan

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-21-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY GE8 Mesh Grille