2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Put wheel locks on today...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Put wheel locks on today...

Here in Nassau County on Long Island in NY, there have been a rash of alloy wheel thefts. Dozens of sets of wheels stolen since the beginning of the month. People have come out to their cars in the morning to find it up on cinder blocks. Mostly Hondas, Acuras, Infinities, etc were the targets.

I ordered my locks from Bernardi, and they showed up a day later. Easy enough to put on. But even though they're listed as the part number for the Fit, I wonder if there's a lock that fits the Fit better.

These stick out a bit more than the lug nut does. I'll have to take a pic. And a measurement. I know some sort of lock is going to slow a thief down, but I'd rather not leave so much sticking out enough to get a vice grips on or something.

The Odyssey has deeper lug nut holes. Maybe I can use these on the van if I find something else.

At least the Fit's got some good hiding spots for the key.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I ordered the factory locks from Honda and they fit pretty nicely. Post up some pictures of how your look on the rims. Yes some theives the locks will not stop them but at least you have given it
a valent effort. It is a shame that people can no longer leave their vehicles on the street. Honda Tuning did an article on this increasing problem and I loved their suggestion of putting a baby monitor inside your car. You have the other by your bed at night and you should be able to hear anyone messing around your car. You hear a noice hit the panic button and let them go running.

Cat :x

Old 01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I did not buy the factory wheel locks because the stick out as well.. are there any other after market wheel locks that fit inside wheel better?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
I got the Honda ones but was also looking to getting the McGard spinning wheel locks as well. McGard Wheel Locking Lug Nuts - JEGS Not sure if they stick out more than the OEM's, but the spinning outer ring should delay any potential theives. (i think)

I just got to find the right thread size... is it the same as the 07-08 GD's? M12 x 1.5?

Old 01-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by FitStir
I got the Honda ones but was also looking to getting the McGard spinning wheel locks as well. McGard Wheel Locking Lug Nuts - JEGS Not sure if they stick out more than the OEM's, but the spinning outer ring should delay any potential theives. (i think)

I just got to find the right thread size... is it the same as the 07-08 GD's? M12 x 1.5?

should be right...I think all honda thread size is the same. It supposedly unsafe to run aftermarket lugs with OEM wheels...just my .2 cents

Old 01-20-2009, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NBPturtle
should be right...I think all honda thread size is the same. It supposedly unsafe to run aftermarket lugs with OEM wheels...just my .2 cents
Cool... Thanks... I dunno what else to do... it seems like Honda rims are being stolen all over the place, this is extremely common. I like the idea of a spinning outer sleeve so that without the proper key it would just keep spinning thus making is harder for thieves to steal the rims.

I wonder why it is supposedly unsafe?

I dunno, I could just get 4 sets of wheel locks, and hope that slows them down enough...

Old 01-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately all it does is slow them down..about 3 months back I had my rims stolen off the fit and had locking lugs...all they can do is deter

Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep. wheel locks are more or less there just to make you feel better. but then
again that's important too.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM
I just bought a new 09 Fit about a month ago and already had my wheels stolen once. I put the OEM locks on the wheels but I was also tempted to get the ones with the computer generated spline keys and spinning sleeves (the McGard Ultras or the MKV EVOs), but those don't seem to be available in the USA. Gorilla puts out similar spinning sleve designs (though with an external key) but it also seems that none of these three brands are available with ball/radius seating. The reason the seating is important is because improper seating means less contact area and the lug can work itself loose. Why doesn't anyone make a decent lug lock that fits the OEM wheels? If anyone knows of one please grace me with the information.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Luckily wheel theft isn't quite as common in northern california (SF, SJ, etc) so I haven't had to worry about it too much. Down south I have heard is really bad, down in San Diego and whatnot. I mean, when you think about it, these guys go around steeling wheels, they will get the OEM wheel locks.. sucks.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kayola
I just bought a new 09 Fit about a month ago and already had my wheels stolen once. I put the OEM locks on the wheels but I was also tempted to get the ones with the computer generated spline keys and spinning sleeves (the McGard Ultras or the MKV EVOs), but those don't seem to be available in the USA. Gorilla puts out similar spinning sleve designs (though with an external key) but it also seems that none of these three brands are available with ball/radius seating. The reason the seating is important is because improper seating means less contact area and the lug can work itself loose. Why doesn't anyone make a decent lug lock that fits the OEM wheels? If anyone knows of one please grace me with the information.
Great info!!! +reps... so we need a ball/radius lug, as opposed to the cone seat style.
NBPturtle you've been repped too.. thanks.

Yes please, if anyone finds good locks please let us know.

From what I've been reading it seems nothing will stop rim thieves, but if we can slow them down, they might pass it, and move along.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
I think that for the fast grab, the Honda locks made by McGard will provide a little bit of deterrent. If there's banging involved in order to defeat the lock, having the car in the driveway right outside my bedroom window may be a deterrent as well. I think the lock needs to not stick out so far though. A vice grip can grab it, or a well placed chisel might tap it loose.

If it were recessed more that'd help. I got them because I figured it'd be better than nothing at all.

I'm going to see if I can find another kind of lock with a matching radius and seat and if I do I'll put the locks I have on the Odyssey.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TKZ12NO1
I'm going to see if I can find another kind of lock with a matching radius and seat and if I do I'll put the locks I have on the Odyssey.
Yes, please let us know if you find anything.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
This could be an option?

Originally Posted by JCLW
Gorilla Automotive (Gorilla Automotive Products - Lug Nuts, Wheel Locks, Auto Security, Wheel Accessories) makes them:
4x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38431N
16x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38432N
20x 12x1.5 ball seat locks = part # 38433N

edit:
They also have standard (non-locking) lug nuts:
1x 12x1.5 ball seat open ended nut = part # 38038
1x 12x1.5 ball seat cap nut = part # 38138
Taken from a different thread.

It shows the locks have a ball seat, and they are slightly shorter than the Honda locks. Found a set of 16 on summit for $44.39, making me regret the OEM honda locks... Gorilla Automotive 38432N - Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems - summitracing.com

Old 01-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Anyone using these Unexposed wheel locks?

Unexposed Wheel Locks
For wheels with hidden lug nuts from center caps. Help protect your accessory alloy wheels from possible theft. Chrome-plated, triple nickel finish prevents corrosion. Tamper-resistant to protect the original or optional equipment alloy wheels. A special key configuration deters theft.
Part# 08181-SF1C0AH
Application: 2009 Fit Base
Your Price: $35.00
Retail Price: $54.00

Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
the best deturent against thieves is to put it in the garage.... other then that. buy 4 different types of lock nuts.... make them thieves work for that shit!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM
just had my fit wheels stolen from my driveway with OEM wheel locks. Next up is a tilt/vibration alarm, cheaper wheels, and a video camera to catch the bastards next time. They also took the the wheels from a fit down the street from me the week before.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzmanta
just had my fit wheels stolen from my driveway with OEM wheel locks. Next up is a tilt/vibration alarm, cheaper wheels, and a video camera to catch the bastards next time. They also took the the wheels from a fit down the street from me the week before.
Sorry that you had this happen to your car. I am seriously considering a baby mointor in my garage even.
Things are getting bad and will most likely continue. Hope you get it back on the road soon.

Cat :x

Old 03-29-2009, 02:57 PM
i know the 05 rsx and 09 tsx wheel locks are shorter, i dont know if there is a counterpart honda one, but thats what ive been using, by the way, if your odyssey is an 05+ the lugs are different, so the fit ones wont work

Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
sport needs to come with a trunk monkey.

Quick Reply: Put wheel locks on today...