2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your Auto Transmission Whine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Does Your Auto Transmission Whine?

Hey guys,
New member and first time Honda owners. Got a '09 Sport Auto for the wife a couple weeks ago and she's in love with it! So today as she's pulling into the garage, I notice a slight transmission whine. It's not especially loud but it's there. If I Put the trans in neutral or park it goes away, put it in gear and it whines. Any other Fit owners experience this or know what I'm talking about? Are Honda auto trans' generally a bit noisy? Really hate the idea of going to the dealer, wanted to check here first. Any comments are appreciated.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have 10k miles on my auto tranny and no whining noises so far. Only whines in reverse which i think is normal for most cars.

Check to see that the tranny fluid is at the correct level, maybe its low? Otherwise take it to the dealer.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM
No whine for me either. I have 5k on mine and just took a 900 mile road trip. No issues with mine. If I were you I would be checking all the fluid levels.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd have to say mine has a "slight whine". Not bad but it caused me enough concern to have the dealer check it out. They listened to it, road tested, checked fluid and said it was operating normally.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i wouldnt worry about it.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM
No whine from mine. Take it to the dealer. Most likely they'll say it's "normal", but you'll get a note in your service record. Later, if it gets worse, they'll have a hard time denying there is a progressive problem.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
No whine from mine. Take it to the dealer. Most likely they'll say it's "normal", but you'll get a note in your service record. Later, if it gets worse, they'll have a hard time denying there is a progressive problem.
I agree. Check your transmission fluid level and take it to the dealer and have them record your complaint.
If it is an issue, you are covered by your warranty.

No noticeable whine on our FiT.

Last edited by Benggolf; 06-30-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Most automatics whine when backing/reversing. Reverse gearing is unlike forward gearing. If you whine in forward gears, you would probably have torque converter and/or fluid level/quality issues. Doubt you'd have these on a new car, though.... You sure it wasn't the tires?

Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
you'll get a note in your service record. Later, if it gets worse, they'll have a hard time denying there is a progressive problem.
that's a good point!

Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Even if it has a slight whine, they'll deny it until the issue causes a failure. Manufacturers (even Honda) have gotten good at that in the last couple of years, and they've trained their service manager gatekeepers well in that regard. Hopefully, your dealer service dept. is especially receptive. But, for sure, get it in and get it documented.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. "badself" pretty much nailed it. I took the Fit to the dealer today to be checked out. They agreed the torque converter is "a little noisy" but is operating normally at this time. They advised me if the noise worsens to bring it back and they will check it again. Wait and see I guess...

Old 06-30-2009, 10:18 PM
HID Addict
just throwing in a wild card, your not, by any chance, revving up the engine to 6000 right?

Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by ozman
Hey guys,
New member and first time Honda owners. Got a '09 Sport Auto for the wife a couple weeks ago and she's in love with it! So today as she's pulling into the garage, I notice a slight transmission whine. It's not especially loud but it's there. If I Put the trans in neutral or park it goes away, put it in gear and it whines. Any other Fit owners experience this or know what I'm talking about? Are Honda auto trans' generally a bit noisy? Really hate the idea of going to the dealer, wanted to check here first. Any comments are appreciated.
Mine is 2 months old Auto with 6k km on the odometer.
Yes... mine have same symp as yrs. When to Honda SC and request them to chk. They flushed and replaced the ATF. Now is better but still slight whining when in gears.
No worries for now as waranty is there till 100k km.
I am still monitoring.

T-R

Old 07-02-2009, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
Whine is in Reverese only for me.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
I noticed this annoying whining noise in our Fit - turned out to be my wife

Sorry. To be serious, there is noticeable whine in Reverse only......

Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM
ltd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ozman
Hey guys,
I hear same noise as your, Mine is 2012 Auto, I heard noise since it at 2000 miles.Now it at 6200 Miles The noise get louder when I get into garage after a long drive. Dealer said He did not hear it. I think they tried to delay for the warranty expired , then If I had problem with it they will get the money from me for repair. I had a 2004 corolla with 170,000 miles had never give me any problem on it's Auto transmission. I made a mistake to buy this Honda Fit.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 AM
I've noticed a scratching sound when it shifts in drive. not all the time, sometimes the sound could be short or long. I'll definitely take it in soon since mine is a 2010 and has 16k miles on it.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
Methinks you are all hearing things. It is a piece of machinery. It will make noise to some degree.

ltd - when you pull into an enclosed space like your garage of course any sound will be amplified.

Have Honda note it on service records then turn the radio up and drive it.

Jeez.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by ltd
Dealer said He did not hear it. I think they tried to delay for the warranty expired , then If I had problem with it they will get the money from me for repair. I had a 2004 corolla with 170,000 miles had never give me any problem on it's Auto transmission. I made a mistake to buy this Honda Fit.

Well that's rude.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:59 PM
2010 Fit Sport, Tranny noise?

Have a 2010 Fit Sport...72000 miles...replaced the engine due to #4 main bearing deteriorating as a result of oil not getting through the engine (so they say). Don't know why. Regardless...now have transmission noise...in idle, in and out of gear...from a low growl to accelerated high pitch as rpms rev up. At no time does the noise stop. It is constant and changes with rpms. Mechanic suggested that it might be a bearing in the tranny. It's an auto...not manual.

Has anyone experienced this?

Other possibility could be in the engine??? Definitely not any of the external components or belts - checked out, they're all good. Besides, not the right kind of noise for those kinds of issues.

Quick Reply: Does Your Auto Transmission Whine?