2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

205 50 16 tires on stock 16 inch

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Codger01
It was quite a change. The old P5 was giving me not so subtle hints of expensive repairs to come- and I'd aready dropped 3K in repairs in the last year. That & my left knee was really telling me my clutch days were over
With the independant rear suspension the P5 handled corners much better, that & the lower centre of gravity. I find I cannot dive into corners as fast as I used to. The MPG of the Fit is one of the main things that brought me over, I am averaging 34-35mpg while the best I got out of the P5 was 28-29 mpg.(damn this lead right foot of mine!!) & I like the paddle shifts on the Sport AT.
When I get around to upgrading the tires I should get some handling back.
I have not noticed a great deal of difference in noise between the P5 & the Fit. Sitting up higher has taken a little getting used to, but Its OK now. Mmmmm, maybe time to look into the Eibach springs....
My P5 was a 2003 Laser Blue. What do you have? Are you on the Mazdas24/7 Forum?
Yeah, i also have a 2003, and mine is white. No problems at all so far. i've got about 75k miles on it. It's an auto, so my knees are alright, but i definitely know what you are talking about, because my previous vehicle was a 5speed jetta many years ago, and i suffered from the clutch knee. We also have a 2002 subaru outback that is a 5spd manual that my wife drives, and i drive when we take it on long trips, and it can wake up my clutch knee sometimes. Well, that was very interesting to hear what it was like to transition from your protege into the fit. Did you notice the lack of power at all? I, too, am looking at the Auto sport Fit, with the paddle shifters. I'd use them. I used them on the test drive i took just a few weeks back. ....

Old 02-02-2010, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
You do have to wind up the revs a lot more in the Fit (after all, it is down .5 litres & about 20hp) but it is light enough that it is not really all that noticable. When fully loaded however, that is a different issue!
I had 120k on my P5 when I traded it in, have had the Fit for 10mos now and have 16k on it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 PM
I bought the Falken 512s in 205/50/16 and I can't wait to put them on. They are a good looking tire I just hope they perform better than the Bridgestones that are on it. The complaint I had with the Bridgestones is they didn't seem to last long enough. I hope this is a longer lasting tire.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:22 PM
any more pics of the 205 50 16 on stock rims? thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by dtmbmw325i
I bought the Falken 512s in 205/50/16 and I can't wait to put them on. They are a good looking tire I just hope they perform better than the Bridgestones that are on it. The complaint I had with the Bridgestones is they didn't seem to last long enough. I hope this is a longer lasting tire.
You'll love the 512s as long as you don't plan on autocrossing them. I had a set on a 97 Integra I had a few years back and they were fantastic tires for the money. Good luck with 'em!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
This is a very helpful thread. I'm thinking of replacing my Bridgestones, now a year old with 24k on them, with 205/50R16 General Altimax HPs. The Bridgestones are holding up fine (I've rotated them once) but I'm hoping to significantly reduce road noise. Has anyone installed these on their 09/10 Fit Sport and, if so, can you comment on changes in noise levels, handling, gas mileage, etc. Also, any suggestions regarding where to buy them or have them installed in the NYC/Long Island area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass, but why General Altimax HPs? Tell us how you use your Fit, i.e. street only, autocross? Do you want all seasons or performance tires? (There's no such thing as a true all season tire...no all season comes close to real snow tires.) The Falken ZE512 (and the newer version 912) are excellent all-season tires so long as you realize their limitations.

Glad you find this thread helpful...that's the whole idea behind forums, really. Give us some more info and we can give you more targeted answers...happily.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pascoz28
Not trying to be a smart ass, but why General Altimax HPs? Tell us how you use your Fit, i.e. street only, autocross? Do you want all seasons or performance tires? (There's no such thing as a true all season tire...no all season comes close to real snow tires.) The Falken ZE512 (and the newer version 912) are excellent all-season tires so long as you realize their limitations.

Glad you find this thread helpful...that's the whole idea behind forums, really. Give us some more info and we can give you more targeted answers...happily.
Thanks pascoz28. I drive street only, and my primary consideration--assuming no substantial loss in handling or wet or dry traction--is noise. I use the car for a 26-mile spirited (I've got a manual transmission and some twisty roads en route) commute, and need to listen very carefully to the stereo for various projects I have going. I'm finding that the road noise produced by the Bridgestones is interfering with this (I'm also upgrading the stereo). I'll look into the Falkens--thanks for the tip. I focused on the Altimax HPs because pretty much everyone on the TireRack reviews forum commented on how quiet they are, and the price is certainly right. But I'd happily spend a bit more if I could get tires that are very quiet but also come with better traction and handling than the Altimax HPs. I chose the 205/50/16 size because I want to keep my stock rims and to keep the odometer accurate, and at the same time have a fairly good range of tires to choose from.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking Altimax HP's as well. I've had them on 2 cars now and they've been great, quiet tires with LONG tread life. As I commute over 100 miles a day, that's my primary consideration. I have NOT been impressed with the treadlife of the stock Dunlops at all. As the General Altimax and the Kumho Solus both have identical, higher UTQG grades, I'll probably go with one of those.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 PM
well guys i purchased the altimax hp just mounted them, going for my alighnment in like 30 min and ill let you know how it goes so far ride is pretty nice, kicks aup allot of rocks but they need to break in.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
keeping you guys updated, finished everything, i am pleased with the tires but i rub on bumps and hard turns. Im lowered on t1r springs, but minor rubbing for a better ride i guess ill have to take the tradeoff.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks bkrell and JDM-Taffeta-S. Please let me know your thoughts on the noise produced by the Altimax HPs, especially on concrete. Also, JDM-Taffeta-S, did you have the Bridgestones or the Dunlops on before the switch?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
I thought that I'd bump this up hoping to get some feedback on the 205/50/16 General Altimax HPs on Sport stock rims. JDM-Taffeta-S, do you notice a reduction in road noise compared with the stock tires, which I assume were either the Bridgestones or the Dunlops? Beyond the slight rubbing on your lowered vehicle, are there other remarkable differences? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, Can you tell where the tires are rubbing? I am guessing the outer part of the wheelwell. Only front or rear?
Thanks

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I rotate every 7500 and at 25,000 miles and and just about see abe lincoln's head so optimistically I can get 10,000 more miles (highway commute with spirited driving on weekends) on the Dunlops, which I actually like. Don't know if the Bridgestones were quieter, but the noise in my car didn't bother me at all.

I'm gonna sport the good stuff. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. They come standard on the Ford Fiesta (In Europe atleast) and all the auto mags say the handling is exceptional. Can't wait to put on the fit.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
mtunofun, thanks for the suggestion regarding the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2s, which I'll definitely look into. In my case it'll probably come down to how quiet they are, however, as unfortunately I have to make noise a priority over handling. But it would be nice to have both qualities, and so if these are quieter than the General Altimax HPs I'll go with them.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by pascoz28
You'll love the 512s as long as you don't plan on autocrossing them. I had a set on a 97 Integra I had a few years back and they were fantastic tires for the money. Good luck with 'em!
I don't plan on auto x and if I was I would probably get a lightweight set of wheels with better tires. I plan on running these on the street. I will soon be getting them mounted. Sort of off topic but, what sort of TPMS sensors do we have? Does anyone have any info on them? Do we need rebuild kits? Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
will the 205 50 16 on the stock 16 inchers affect the TPMS?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Santiad
will the 205 50 16 on the stock 16 inchers affect the TPMS?
The reason I am asking about TPMS (not sure if this is directed to me) is that they suggest rebuilding certain types when you change the tires as a preventative maintenance service. I do not know if ours needs a rebuilt kit or not, and I haven't really noticed anyone questioning this yet so I figured I would ask. It also is an option with Discount tire I believe but I have no idea if I would get the correct kit.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
im stuck between the bfgoodrich kdw2's and the dunlop direzza z1's! i know hte dunlops are stickier but 200 treadwear doesnt sound oto appealing -_-

Quick Reply: 205 50 16 tires on stock 16 inch