2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TPMS a PITA for you? -Also, beware of valve extenders!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
If you are just installing new tires on the same stock wheel w/ TPMS, is it necessary to have to replace the TPMS bit on each wheel?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Try Find Honda Parts and Honda Accessories by Car Model - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories and see if you can buy just the valve stem (assuming it is separate from the main TPMS assembly).

Maybe you need the whole assembly if the light is on.

The assembly is one piece. The valve stem is not separate.
PS Make damn sure your tire changer knows your wheel has a TPMS unit; if not he can easily break it dismounting the tire. And it could be your cost for not advising him unless he is aware what model year is your car.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Toscha
If you are just installing new tires on the same stock wheel w/ TPMS, is it necessary to have to replace the TPMS bit on each wheel?

Not sure what you mean by the 'bit'. If you mean the unit itself you can leave the one on; however, make sure your tire changer knows you have a TPMS on the wheel. he can otherwise easily break it dismounting the tire.
And unfortunately, you may have to visit a dealer to have the sensor calibrated with the sensor on the car. Its not assured but somevpeople have had to even thoughh the wheel is the same with the TPMS unit.
good luck.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
IT's PITA. I want to have two sets of wheels/tires without having to worry about TPMS.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Toscha
no...I just got new tires..Tire Discounters didn't say anything about the tpms. I never got charge for anything regarding it either.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
only time TPMS comes on my GE is when i have snow wheelset on which has no TPMS transmitters.

ive never had it come on by error. just calculate the average temperature for the given week or so and adjust the psi so that you have 2-3psi over the 28psi limit on the Fit's. 1psi change for every 10F change.

example: you are at 50F (32psi) and know temps will be dropping 20F (average) in the coming weeks. that means to expect a 2psi drop. pump air to 34psi.

Last edited by kenchan; 12-01-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: grammarrrrrrr
Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
For those that think the TPMS is a PITA and want to disable it. Put all 4 sensors into the spare. Secure them by strapping them to the rim.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
only time TPMS comes on my GE is when i have snow wheelset on which has no TPMS transmitters.

ive never had it come on by error. just calculate the average temperature for the given week or so and adjust the psi so that you have 2-3psi over the 28psi limit on the Fit's. 1psi change for every 10F change.

example: you are at 50F (32psi) and know temps will be dropping 20F (average) in the coming weeks. that means to expect a 2psi drop. pump air to 34psi.
wouldn't that be 3 psi?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Ok, then gents,, can I go ahead and replace the ##@@@* darn TPMS gizmos on my 2011 FIT SPORT with regular valve stems as soon as I find a decent set of tires?? I am a tire pressure freak anyway,, check almost everyday, thing is will the regular stems fit and hold pressure with no problems,,I don't mind having that TPMS light on,,,VSA light would bother me though.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjsifo
Ok, then gents,, can I go ahead and replace the ##@@@* darn TPMS gizmos on my 2011 FIT SPORT with regular valve stems as soon as I find a decent set of tires?? I am a tire pressure freak anyway,, check almost everyday, thing is will the regular stems fit and hold pressure with no problems,,I don't mind having that TPMS light on,,,VSA light would bother me though.
Are you having problems with the TPMS sensors? If not, why replace them? Also, without them, you can't turn off the VSA... period. TPMS is a good thing and any potential issues you have should be covered under your warranty.

~SB

Old 08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Tpms

Thanks specboy, your point is too logical to argue about,sensible answer.I'm thinking about in the future if the TPMS sensors turn into a PITA, the possibility of replacing with regular valve stems would be a partial solution.Of course not being able to turn off the VSA is not a good thing.Thanks again,jjsifo

Old 08-19-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjsifo

We've replaced the stock wheels with aftermarketwheels and tires dozens of times and covered the tpms icon with black tape.
Most times the original wheels and tires just ecame spares or awaiting trade-in on the newer car.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
mahout - you forget your reading glasses or something today? wats with the bold text?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
btw for the op and others, valve stem extenders should really only be used when you are actually pumping air or checking psi. they put too much load on the stem where it meets the wheel can damage the seal.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
mahout - you forget your reading glasses or something today? wats with the bold text?
Hey when you get 1" thick reading glasses you'll have to bold to read what you wrote.
Just error on my part. cheers.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:31 PM
I'm gonna buy a second set and put them in a pressurized tube in the hatch for sure.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by taikahn
I'm gonna buy a second set and put them in a pressurized tube in the hatch for sure.
That won't work. They also have some sort of centrifugal switch on each sensor that requires the wheel to be turning for the TPMS to send the right signal.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM
^you sure? I have friends that have done this (not on a fit).

Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by taikahn
^you sure? I have friends that have done this (not on a fit).
Originally Posted by Service manual
Mounted over the accelerator pedal module, the TPMS control unit receives wireless pressure sensor ID signals every time the vehicle speeds exceeds 28 mph (45 km/h).
If the sensors aren't moving, they won't turn on to send a pressure signal. It won't trigger an error right away, but will eventually when the system realizes that it hasn't heard from the sensors in a while.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
See????? those damn things are taking over the world!!!

Quick Reply: Is the TPMS a PITA for you? -Also, beware of valve extenders!