2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost 3 Years, 33k miles, Goodbye GE8

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Almost 3 Years, 33k miles, Goodbye GE8

Said goodbye to my GE8 yesterday, after almost 33k miles and 1 month short of 3 years - she was a 2009 BBP Sport auto, one of the earliest GE8s out, paid 17,330 (before taxes/misc fees) and got 12k in trade, not bad at all I would say. Just a bumper scratch and a door ding, otherwise in really excellent condition. From the 32k+ of mileage info I logged, got 31.37 mpg, not bad compared to EPA estimates, this was mostly country/city road conditions and some highway. No hyper miling attempts, but not driving like a maniac either. Little over 4/32" left on factory Bridgestones.

Thoughts from ownership...

1. Cargo room - can't say enough about the space utility of the Fit, largest item I carried was a snowblower still in box.
  2. Storage nooks - there just seemed to be an endless array of cupholders, upper/lower glove compartments, etc to stuff little things.
  3. People space - for a small little car, it sure fits 4 adults comfortably, never felt the rear seats were a penalty box.
  4. Interior space - this is about the height of the roof, expansive glass, you get a real sense of not feeling cramped at all once inside a Fit. It feels big and airy.
  5. Quick steering - this car is like a go kart, not something everyone likes, but I do like that quickness in the steering.

Neutral
  1. Paddle shifters - they turned out to be mostly a gimmick, the inability of them to hold a gear is bad enough, but they also revert to auto again on their own which is worse. Of limited use really, except maybe hill climbs/descents or downshifting to pass. I just floor it and don't bother with the paddle shifters when passing.
  2. Gas mileage - 31.37 mpg isn't bad for the life of the car, given I was getting like 24 mpg in a V6 Accord previously for similar conditions, but would have preferred to have seen mid-30s at least.

Dislikes
  1. Highway stability - never felt like much of a highway car to me. Way too unstable with crosswinds. I did a long trip once NJ - Niagara Falls - Canada, damm near shit in my pants a lot of the journey and hated every minute of driving it... there were wind warnings and such during the time of the trip, but it seemed like everyone else blew by me, was keeping to like 50 mph to keep things under control.
  2. Ride quality - the Fit has always seems bumpy/choppy (short wheelbase, simple suspension design) riding to me... not to confuse this with a firm suspension, its more the ability to dampen what gets channeled into the cabin.
  3. Noise - its not a quiet car by any means, glad they are addressing this in the 2012s.
  4. Cheapness of interior - no illusions here, it is an economy car at the lowest price point. But a nice coat of interior protectant (I use Meguiars NTX Tech Protectant) does wonders for the expanses of black plastic inside.
  5. Engine - does not feel very refined, and is pretty gutless with the slushbox. Nothing special here.
  6. Odd sizings - battery and tires are just plain odd size and very specific to the Fit, so exact replacements aren't easily found.

Issues
  1. LMS recall - probably everyone with an early GE8 got hit with this one. Mine was done without too much trouble, but did discover 2 missing plastic fasteners which I replaced on my own post recall.
  2. Overenthusiastic MPG readouts - if only I was getting anything close to what the computer was telling me my MPG was, I'd be way happier... it was almost always off by 3+ mpg too much, fixed with software update (which seemed to be a bit of a slow process that takes an hour or more to complete).
  3. Alignment - I suspect my alignment was way off probably from new, only got this fixed some 20k+ miles in.

All in all, it wasn't bad, the Fit delivered in areas you would expect it to, and wasn't stellar in other aspects. It just didn't turn out to be the car I expected it to be - had a 2002 RSX auto many years ago, that car was a blast... I had hopes the Fit would be somewhat fun in that regard, but the slushbox isn't really nearly good enough to allow it. Was planning on keeping the Fit a lot longer, but the lack of oomph/fun factor and the constant jarring ride/noise got to me in the end.

New ride is a 2012 Civic Si sedan+navi, haven't had a stick shift in many years, but getting a slushbox to be much fun is a pretty hopeless task. Had many regrets when I had the RSX that I didn't opt for the Type-S + stick shift, almost bought an '06 Si coupe but cancelled during the long wait for one, and finally got to doing it again. Picked it up last night, due to a huge stroke of luck was able to find one in the color I wanted + navi finally.

Last edited by neteng101; 08-18-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Talking Good Fit Eulogy

Good luck with your new ride!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Good honest appraisal.

For me the pluses outweigh the minuses as the Fit is a city commuter car.

Not sure about the wind issues you experienced. Maybe it's all the added plastic on the Sport, the Base seems pretty stable in wind, but I came from a 1st gen Odyssey that would get tossed around more easily. While I only took the Fit on one extended interstate trip it seemed pretty well behaved around semis.

Good luck with your new ride.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Not sure about the wind issues you experienced. Maybe it's all the added plastic on the Sport...
Do think it was partly due to bad alignment compounding things, but the Fit just being so tall is partly to blame, and it really felt like way too much wind was getting underneath the car too (creating lift, instead of downforce). Seems a bit calmer towards the end but then again I never drove in that long a trip after that, or saw similarly bad windy conditions... but I suspect a slight drop and better tires will go a long way towards fixing this.

There's been others here over time I've seen complain of highway stability - I wouldn't really pin the Fit as being ideal for tons of long distance cruising at speeds... 65-70 cruising is calmer than trying to keep it going at 80 or something.

Still don't think at the Fit's price tag, there's really anything quite like the Fit... I just don't see why anyone would pick cars like Smarts, Fiats, Mazda 2, Accent, etc over the Fit aside from the novelty/cuteness factors. And Honda has slowly added content to the Fit, plus the 2012 sound insulation is a big move forward. When I bought mine, it didn't even come with floor mats of any kind!

I thought of keeping the Fit too, but the insurance rates around here basically double for a 2nd car, and that did not make one bit of financial sense to me. I know my fuel costs are headed up, but I figured that out with my pretty low yearly mileage and all, I can easily afford the little extra for premium/lower mpg in exchange for smiles.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Let us know your OOB experience with the SI. A civic was my other choice (but not an SI). The Fit won because of its hatch, and we have other cars better suited for trips.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Let us know your OOB experience with the SI. A civic was my other choice (but not an SI). The Fit won because of its hatch, and we have other cars better suited for trips.
I do love hatches, the Speed 3 certainly was in consideration too but didn't want to have to deal with turbo issues down the road, plus the crazy torque steer and pretty terrible MPG overall. Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but I have little faith in VW reliability so never really thought much of the GTI (plus it costs more). Will let you know how the Si goes... too little time behind the wheel so far and just getting re-acclimated to shifting again.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
post some pics.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I just did a 11k road trip including MANY high wind areas.

2010, MT Sport. Mods to note: Swift springs and Enkei 16x7 +43 w/Conti DWS 205/50/16 tires.

Wind was no more a factor than any other car I've driven. It's true that 80 mph isn't as "stable" as 65, but I could still push 75-80 (to pass) in the downpour that was slamming me in NY and PA. Though visibility was a bigger factor in keeping myself a little slower at 60-65 (even as low as 40) at times. For dry times, I stuck to 5+ what ever the limit is at the time and had no problems. Only on a few mountain roads did I stay below speed limit, since I had never gone "canyon carving" or the like before. Up and down mountains are one thing when they're wide sweeping turns. High speed switchbacks were new to me before this trip.

Prior to my Swift springs, at 80 mph, I only had to "fight" steering with higher wind gusts, but I expected that, so it wasn't an issue for me.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
neteng- congrats on your new upgrade! enjoy your new ride.

these narrow cars will always be nervous in highway speeds especially on windy days. i think these cars were built for short trips to the supermarket (or in my case, HOMEDEPOT!)

Old 08-18-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Nice Choice on Ride. If we had been in the position at the time, I'd have an Si Sedan. But for us it didn't make as much sense as the Fit. Also, you can have a bit more fun with the 5MT. i still do miss my GS-R and was Glad that I opted for it instead of a GS or other non-VTEC model at the time. smart move on picking up the top model.

Waiting for Pics and hope to see you still hang around.

~SB

Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Congrads on the new ride and stay in touch with us. Would love to see some pictures of the Civic. Any modifications planned?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Great write-up! I'm planning on getting the 2012 Civic Si Sedan too.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
Photos, 2012 Civic Si sedan with navi, Polished Metal...

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
must be a little difference going from a 1.5L to a 2.4L... just a tad more torque.

Enjoy

~SB

Old 08-18-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Will stay around - probably won't have much new insight on the Fit though.

Mods planned, nothing significant right now really, the car is right on the money for the most part. Little things that I am planning to do for now though...
  • DIY lower grille (that condenser is way exposed!)
  • Splash guards (doing it myself)
  • Trunk lid liner (only the EX-L and hybrids have it, lid is really ugly without it, College Hills has parts)
  • Tint (the car needs/screams for it)
The Si is a real commitment from a driving perspective... 6MT wants to be rowed, the close ratios and really short 1st gear are very noticeable to me, throws are short, love the feel, but still trying to get shifts totally smooth. Lit up the tires in 1st and 2nd once on a quick start, hit the VTEC engagement point a couple of times, but none of that was nowhere near full out. It can be driven slow too... shift early, keep the revs down, light foot. And the car makes its presence known, there's a low exhaust burble when you start it up, which gets louder as the revs climb. Ride is firm but not thrashy, the interior is pretty well insulated but not Lexus quiet by any means. Oh and I'm getting about 21+ mpg on the meter, with short distance trips so far, a far cry from the Fit.

Really glad I got the navi - not sure how the new Honda navis differ from the older DVD based units, but its plenty responsive and pretty easy to figure out. Haven't done any voice controls, Bluetooth pairing is super easy though. The 7 speaker sound system is excellent to my non audiophile ears... really clear highs/mids and great bass.

For the price of entry, I do think the Si is an absolute steal.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Not to rain on your parade but I wanted to address the sport shift paddle shifters. They function differently depending on the position your transmission is in. If you use the paddle shifters while you are in drive you can shift down while going up hills without worrying about managing the gears from there because the automatic will take over as usual. i think that is how you must have been using the paddle shifters.

If you put the transmission in the sport mode, the s position after drive, the transmission will hold the gears longer and it doesn't shift to 5th gear in order to keep the RPMs high. However if you push the paddle shifters while in sport mode you get to have your cake and eat it too. It's sweet, you have full manual control but don't have to worry about downshifting all the time in stop and go traffic. Of course you can down shift still when safe to do so. The one thing it won't let you do is down shift if in doing so you would go into the redline. The other thing to keep in mind is there is a slight delay in clicking the paddle shifter and when the gear shifts. My last complaint is that the paddle shifters rotate with the wheel. I hate that if I am going through a turn and need to shift gears I have to put my hands in a non-ideal position.

In regards to your Civic Si very cool. I love that the sedan back end finally looks nice. It's about time Honda.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OC-NightHawk
However if you push the paddle shifters while in sport mode you get to have your cake and eat it too.
Have to admit I didn't play much with S mode - I thought it too will revert back to full auto after a while and not hold gears forever, but upshift on its own (I know it will upshift when you hit the max rpm, but even before that I believe it does so)? Automatic downshifting when coming to a stop is fine, but it should hold a gear forever if I want to drive in 3rd at 5500rpm for minutes at a time... that's not something the transmission will allow though is what I vaguely recall when I tried playing around with S mode.

The way it worked in the RSX, manumatic mode was just that for the most part - you have to upshift manually, you can start off in 1st or 2nd (useful in slippery conditions) from a dead stop, hold revs/gear as long as you want to. The only thing it would do was downshift automatically when speeds fall/coming to a stop and not allow you to manually downshift if it would over-rev the engine.

Guessing the one on the Fit was programmed for self preservation and to limit control so as not to put as much stress on the transmission. Sportish, vs. a sport auto.

As for paddle shifters, I could see it either way - some prefer steering mounted. I'd rather have it on the gearshift instead (up/down in a different gate).

Old 08-19-2011, 04:53 PM
This is a GREAT post. Thank you!!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
The Sport in S mode will hold a gear forever so long as you are not about to over rev the engine.

Zach

Old 08-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm starting to like the paddle shifters.

Even though I don't use them very often, I would rather have them than not, wouldn't you?

Quick Reply: Almost 3 Years, 33k miles, Goodbye GE8