2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fit is totaled!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit is totaled!

A few days after placing an axleback too!

Scenario:

I had the light, he didn't he made a left across a few lanes of traffic to cut in front of me (he didnt see me because an SUV was passing me on the left and I was cruising under the speed limit.

Entire front end of my fit is smashed, his civic passenger side is pretty beat up and all front airbags in both cars deployed (was going to drop off tomorrow to Honda for recall, no shrapnel here thank god!)

Im bummed because the fit was my daily and I need it for work. I am reaching out to you all for advice on how to proceed here.....my experience with accidents has been fender benders.

The Officer says the report will be ready in a few days and the other guy was honest to the officer, and apologized to me. There is a cam there and hopefully a log of whether he had the right of way.

Should I contact my insurance today? tomorrow? last time I called them they told me since I was going through the other individuals insurance, I didnt need to open a claim. Since the officer was there and gathered our info, I dont have their information.

Any info would be appreciated, I will be going online to check for more as well.....

I loved my fit, it was a real trooper and even in this

Attached Thumbnails My Fit is totaled!-80-car_wreck_fadc37aa93c5bc2d864ea246a6a597ba0d16313a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
also, can I remove the tailights or will insurance be upset over me stripping things off? I took whatever I could (personal effects, cables, ultrguage, radio, but didnt have time for the tails or mudflaps) but I was in the middle of the intersection and drivers were going around my car

Old 03-09-2016, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Sorry dude

Old 03-09-2016, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
That's terrible . Hopefully you're fine , you seem to be . Wish you better days ahead . Keep us updated and take care .

Old 03-10-2016, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Never leave an accident without the other guys license and insurance info, I used my phone to snap a pic of both last incident I was in.
If possible and the other guys insurance doesn't try and screw you I would not call my own company. Save yourself the negative points..

Usually removal of anything but loose accessories is negotiated with the paying insurance company. So the gauge and stuff is kinda fair game but the tail lights are hard parts that usually they expect the salvage yard to sell (Adds offset to the loss for the insurance company.) If the gripe you can always give them back...

NEVER EVER EVER use an insurance companies "concierge service" Gieco/Progressive/and more use them, your car ends up at a scary shop. Usually staffed by a random group of folks... They Slap on the bondo and run..

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 03-10-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:02 AM
I've got a clean 2010 full Mugen Fit with other nice real JDM parts on it. I wouldn't mind selling my car if your interested. I know it's early. Just throwing it out there.

Glad your good, cars can be replaced.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for all the kind words and advice....this forum is really the best of its kind and I say that after checking many other forums.

FamilyWagon: I responded to your PM

everyone else: I will be heading to the yard to negotiate at some point and and see what I can salvage.

So far I have
weathertech mats
pioneer radio
a crz k&n filter (using it at the time)
a stock airbox with a k&n filter
a couple of cabin air filters
exhaust manifold gasket (new)
spark plugs
coil packs
black steering wheel emblem (to cover faded one)
broadway wide mirror (may be using this again, dont know)

I basically had everything I would have needed to get this car to 200k....I'll make an official thread later but wanted to put this out now in case anyone might be looking.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
If you can replace your aftermarket parts with stock parts I would do that ASAP.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Both times I've had a wrecked car I did NOT let them to it to a yard, I had it towed to my home or a body shop. The yards are in bed with the insurance companies and they get pissy about you touching YOUR car.. Until they send a adjuster and issue a check its STILL YOURS and if its in a tow yard its adding up storage fees that do you no good.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Contact your insurance company immediately.

Thanks to the police report and what, evidently, it says, you are in the best possible position. You may not get everything you want, but at a least you won't get skinned alive.

Sorry for your troubles there, buddy, but I'm glad you were not hurt.

Last edited by Mister Coffee; 03-10-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Thankfully you're okay, and you weren't one of the u lucky ones getting killed or maimed by shrapnel. Scary!

Old 03-10-2016, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Contact both insurances companies if you haven't already.

Depending on your insurance they may help you with all of this, or tell you deal with it on your own. Call their insurance company and file the claim. In a day or 2 they will send an adjuster to both cars and give the dollar amounts. It looks like you are in the clear, and having a police officer there always helps to have it on file.

Sorry to hear all of this. Best of luck, best course of action is just be upfront and straight. You might not get your parts back but its small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Wow that sucks... but glad to hear you're ok.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
Thankfully you're okay, and you weren't one of the u lucky ones getting killed or maimed by shrapnel. Scary!
For real...the first thing I did once I checked my passenger was to check us both for any cuts....my hand and wrist got cut and burned by the airbag but that's it....and both our chests feel like they were punched.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Glad you're not hurt! On another note, these cars seem to be pretty tough. Check out the wreck by this unfortunate Redditor:

Attached Thumbnails My Fit is totaled!-80-xfxiirm_926e40c0e0e69430a134995b0ed24f0f3b00f7b6.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Contact both insurance companies. If they do not total it, you do not have to have the work done by the location where the car sits. You can get three estimates. And you can insist on genuine Honda parts. If they do total it, you can often buy the car from the insurance company for a song, do the work yourself, and have a running Fit while still having cash in your pocket. The only thing, the title will be salvaged title. If you have custom parts that you have not yet notified your insurance about, you can still have them covered by calling attention to them before the assessment is completed.

Last edited by garyhowie; 03-18-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santiad
...(he didnt see me because an SUV was passing me on the left and I was cruising under the speed limit...
SUVs. I hate SUVs.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
SUVs. I hate SUVs.
Yeah, people who drive SUVs don't give a crap about environment, exhaust a lot more of unnecessary fumes that then contribute to rates cancers.
Not much to like about SUV driving morons.

Attached Thumbnails My Fit is totaled!-80-stupidsuv_4cdc1465fd45876e136631f84e15c99d24d7d1c4.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Yep and the SUV drivers hate the eco box crowd because they drive like they own the road, Prius has replaced Volvo as the asshat driver group. Entitled bi**hes all of them.. Bwahahahahahaha

Old 03-21-2016, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Yep and the SUV drivers hate the eco box crowd because they drive like they own the road, Prius has replaced Volvo as the asshat driver group. Entitled bi**hes all of them.. Bwahahahahahaha

Dude, you must be reading my mail. I have been saying this for years. The second most dangerous car on the road used to be a black Volvo station wagon. First most dangerous used to be a white Volvo station wagon. I had a lady in a white Volvo station wagon back into my parked car right in front of me and pull away without stopping, even though I was yelling at her to stop. Now, it's Prius drivers, who think that a steering wheel is an I-go-here-I-go-there device requiring no consideration for other people on the road.

This SUV-Avalanche-Yukon-Armada-Escalade-Suburban-Range Rover thing is all very ladylike, but it's not for drivers. I saw a commercial last night for an SUV with driver assist technology. The problem that the technology was addressing, apparently, was that the lady driver couldn't make a left turn without driving into oncoming traffic.

Couldn't make a left turn? How'd she get a driver's license?

Quick Reply: My Fit is totaled!