2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay so lowering my car, I fine out I broke both axles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
So did the rod with the big nut in the center of the strut move up out of the strut top, to break the window?

Who installed the suspension again?
it was longer after changing the spring. I bought this kit 2nd hand here. u cant get pdf install copy from tien. so i dont blame my nephew for what we were doing some by guessing. I looked here b4 i started with no success. I even asked on here if we cut bump stop to not one reply. So well get it worked out in the end.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
If the rod of the shock absorber came up through the center of the strut cap, then it was probably assembled incorrectly.

There has to be something to keep the rod securely anchored in the strut cap so it cannot rise or fall.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
it was longer after changing the spring. I bought this kit 2nd hand here. u cant get pdf install copy from tien. so i dont blame my nephew for what we were doing some by guessing. I looked here b4 i started with no success. I even asked on here if we cut bump stop to not one reply. So well get it worked out in the end.
I PMed you to join us at TrueFitCrew on FB. Replies are much faster there. Nobody recommends cutting the bump stops. It wasn't necessary. People do it to get a little more low, but it has its set of problems too. What you run into is quite common for spring installs from what I see. Its because people failed to either reuse the oem parts needed, or reinstalled them in the wrong order.

There are several DIYs here about the spring install for the GE8. I believe there is even one detailing in what order you reuse the oem stuff. Sucks now your out of a windshield too.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
I PMed you to join us at TrueFitCrew on FB. Replies are much faster there. Nobody recommends cutting the bump stops. It wasn't necessary. People do it to get a little more low, but it has its set of problems too. What you run into is quite common for spring installs from what I see. Its because people failed to either reuse the oem parts needed, or reinstalled them in the wrong order.

There are several DIYs here about the spring install for the GE8. I believe there is even one detailing in what order you reuse the oem stuff. Sucks now your out of a windshield too.
Thank you. I found directions on install of RS*R springs and they do indeed say cut but Tiens i cant find instructions ANYWHERE... Not even in their site. Its crazy as if to say if you buy 2nd hand with no instructions, you'll be screwed. Other spring companies do the same thing it seems. I'm shocked.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Old 04-07-2016, 06:09 PM
There are no factory instruction from tein whatsoever. Just bought my 2 weeks ago. They expect you to either know it or take it to a know it shop. Only thing they mention are cut bumpstop on front to 1.5 inch, use all stock parts.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Only 11 yrs to go...

Btw... They claim there were no rebuilds. It's almost 18yrs since 09.
Only 11 yrs to go...

Old 04-07-2016, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mjf123
Only 11 yrs to go...
common core?

Old 04-08-2016, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking dog years, but that doesn't work out either.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the upper strut bearing assembly was not put back together in the right order, OR there was not enough travel and you bottomed the strut which punched it upward, bad news is you could have damaged the strut tower as well, and that requires body & welding skills to repair.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Ok update,

Id first like to thank you for staying on/off my thread as I updated it.

my friend that fixes the latest Vettes at Jeff Gordon Chevrolet here in Wilmington took the springs back off. They were install totally wrong, the ABS harness was pulled off, the front sway-bar end links were never put back on (was just dangling the past week) witch they were able to save the drivers side drive shaft is indeed gone its usable but short distance or no distance. bump stops not shortened, it was a fiasco. So a few questions. One legal and the others on prices. How much can i find a left front axle for and where. Honda priced 621.99 (YES U READ RIGHT) and ABS speed sensor on front right for NOW. Advanced said could not be had. O'Rielly's states special 2++.00. If anyone has a spare axle perfect but not expecting that. Again thank you for Ideas etc. The legal part is im sue'g my nephew. Left me high and dry. You let he service brothers do that to him,

Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Ouch.

He won't just pay for a new axle?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Used, salvage yard for axle and sensor and whatever else you need?

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Old 04-14-2016, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
What a horror story. I would disown that Nephew at least. Sounds like he had no idea what he was doing.

I had my Swifts done at my small town Dodge dealer. Charge was less than $100.

Good luck on finding some used parts and an inexpensive repair.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator
rockauto has em 60 bucks + shipping. i had pep boys install mine for 150 bucks.

i wanted to type out all this crap anyway, changed my mind. u done effed up and chose your nephew. why sue him? u knew all these other "great" mechanics. i don't get it.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
u done effed up and chose your nephew. why sue him? u knew all these other "great" mechanics. i don't get it.
Because everybody wants something for nothing. Family or friends helping you out looks so much better than paying for custom work, but it's unreasonable to expect them to back it like a business can- that costs money.

My advice on the legal question (not to be confused with legal advice) is to
1: Review your story of how slack-assed the whole procedure was- used aftermarket parts and a labor procedure made up on the fly are great reasons to not blame your nephew.
I bought this kit 2nd hand here. u cant get pdf install copy from tien. so i dont blame my nephew for what we were doing some by guessing. I looked here b4 i started with no success. I even asked on here if we cut bump stop to not one reply. So well get it worked out in the end.
2: If you still feel your nephew somehow owes you something, what did you pay him for the job? Ask for no more than half of it back. the project wasn't his idea, he didn't provide the used parts and you probably had some input in the procedure.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:10 PM
rockauto has em 60 bucks + shipping. i had pep boys install mine for 150 bucks.

i wanted to type out all this crap anyway, changed my mind. u done effed up and chose your nephew. why sue him? u knew all these other "great" mechanics. i don't get it.
We have neither. My friend that works at Chevrolet will install new axle for 20 bucks.

Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Because everybody wants something for nothing. Family or friends helping you out looks so much better than paying for custom work, but it's unreasonable to expect them to back it like a business can- that costs money.

My advice on the legal question (not to be confused with legal advice) is to
1: Review your story of how slack-assed the whole procedure was- used aftermarket parts and a labor procedure made up on the fly are great reasons to not blame your nephew.

2: If you still feel your nephew somehow owes you something, what did you pay him for the job? Ask for no more than half of it back. the project wasn't his idea, he didn't provide the used parts and you probably had some input in the procedure.
1. the used parts were the springs which didn't cause the axles to break. I'm not a cheap ass either... WOW bro.

2. 100.00 the same price my other friend redid the installed the front springs the correct way for. The point im mad at is because he now knows he messed the install up, he didn't want to touch what he messed up. I have no problem paying to get it redone correctly. The easy things like yanking the speed sensor wires vs disconnecting the plugs is an obvious thing. I've lowered many of my cars on my own. before my spinalcord injury. That he should pay for and the axle. Ill pay for install of the install. Hes all upset because I didn't wait to have him repair the issue. Wasn't going to happen...lol.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member
Rock Auto is a website.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM
First, I'm guessing your nephew have no experience, why choose him when you have friends that are mechanic. Second, forget about your legal issue. If your not gonna get money back more than what you lost then there is no point. (Shit your lawyer probably cost more than what your gonna get back)

Old 04-15-2016, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member
Did you nephew give you a written work order? and does he have a business license?

Cause if he doesn't your out of luck.

Fair price to fully install a front suspension with alignment runs about 3.5 hours of labor. @ 85 to 120 an hour you'd be under 500 and he could always just say "I never touched the car." Ya gets what ya pay for..

Quick Reply: Okay so lowering my car, I fine out I broke both axles.