2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay so lowering my car, I fine out I broke both axles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Unhappy Okay so lowering my car, I fine out I broke both axles.

By lifting one side, than the other, it broke both axles. They aren't cheap. 600 for left 550 for right. The speed sensor was also pulled 250.00. Honda said there are no rebuilds because car is so new. Anyone on the board have used 09-14 axles?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
What do you mean it broke the axles?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
What do you mean it broke the axles?
He use a jack on each side. He jacked the left side so high, it broke both the axle on the other side. Then lifting the right side so high that it broke that axle. I did my 98 Prelude SH this way 10yrs ago. I obviously didn't do it since I'm a paraplegic now. But could they not be broken? He drove 40miles at 75mph to drop it off and I've driven it the Last two days. I don't know. If they do this to a 10 new car buyer from this dealer, ill leave them fast.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Btw... They claim there were no rebuilds. It's almost 18yrs since 09.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
I'd guess OP pulled the inboard joint apart, pulled the tripod and rollers out of the cup, all within the rubber boot.

Hopefully the rubber boots aren't damaged.

I'd take the axles all the way out, take the metal bands off of the inboard boots, slide the boot back enough to figure out how to reassemble the tripod roller set into the cup.
Buy new bands for the boots if need be, fresh CV grease, and reassemble the boots.
Stuff the axles back into the car and drive.

I'd expect the aftermarket stores have new or reman axles cheap, if you'd rather go that route. Call around.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Are there aftermarket ones. Again I'm a paraplegic so I won't be doing? I'm in a state of confusion by what u said.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I'd take the car to an independent shop, not a dealership.

And I'd also not take the car to the guy who tried to install your springs ever again

Old 04-04-2016, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Are there aftermarket ones.
Local parts stores like Autozone, Oreillys, Pep boys, etc. Check their websites, look up parts for your car.

Or take apart your broken axles and reassemble the inner CV joints. Only a little more work than replacing, but much cheaper.

Again I'm a paraplegic so I won't be doing?
Wait...the title of this thread says YOU broke the axles.
Did someone else cause this damage, and aren't they responsible for fixing this damage?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Duh... �� I agree. You live and learn.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
rockauto has the outermost cv axles on the cheap. if u messed up the inner ur SOL, dealer only item.

maybe your guy just popped the axles out and cudnt get them back in.

and how did he drive the car with two broken axles?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Listen. I was scammed. How could my car need axles. No clicking, no pulling is i let go and lastly they tried to say lowering the car did it. I'm no FOOOOL Honda. I sat for an hour after they said dont drive it because i'd be in an accident and left. I told them the knocking they'd feel was from them Cusco 2-point bar which when i bought from a fellow member on here. Im mad as a pot of Hot grits (southerners know what grits are) right now. Im calling the service manager who ive know 12yrs there. I'm gonna call him tomorrow to see what should i hear if DRIVE-SHAFTS are broken. I'm asking you all first if my axles were bad, what should i hear/feel?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
let me get this clear the dealer installed the springs for you? i know dealers wont install aftermarket.

the dealer will always say its your fault for adding aftermarket. what symptoms do you have to warrant you to bring them to the dealer?

i am so confused.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
let me get this clear the dealer installed the springs for you? i know dealers wont install aftermarket.

the dealer will always say its your fault for adding aftermarket. what symptoms do you have to warrant you to bring them to the dealer?

i am so confused.
no. i mention a buddy did...... they claimed i needed axles.. there is no clicking or steering problems or wandering. were going back up there tomorrow to see what they claim. a guy with a 6.67 old muscle (my installer grandfather) car looked at it too... would a car needing axles be derivable? sounds? ive lowered many cars myself. i drove it home. 1hr after service closed...lol.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator
when i had issues with my axle I had a bad intermittent vibration. it wasn't speed dependent. it happened randomly and most often when i was coasting. it felt like the right front passenger wheel wanted to fly off like it had a flat or something. I went to the dealer to have it looked at. they blamed the spring/shock install. said the right axle was leaking fluid. they replaced it still same problem. turns out it was the driver's side. there was clicking at the inner joint where the drivers side axle joint meets the intermediate shaft. could only be heard when we spun the tires. got a replacement aftermarket part from rockauto and installed at pepboys for a fraction of what honda ripped me off for.

sounds like there is no problem with your axles. even if ur mechanic jacked it up all the way, it would have caused your axles to pop out and he somehow popped them back in. you mention no symptoms of axle problems. if you went to get the abs sensor replaced, thats probably all u need.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
So...car is driveable then?

You can have axle problems and still be driveable, but it's hard to picture BROKEN and yet still driveable.

CV joint boots not ripped open and losing grease?
Someone should get under the car to see what really happened.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by ezone

You can have axle problems and still be driveable, but it's hard to picture BROKEN and yet still driveable.

CV joint boots not ripped open and losing grease?
Someone should get under the car to see what really happened.
+1

goto a shop that will do a free quote/inspection. I went to Pep Boys and they were the ones who found out the faulty side and didnt rape me on the labor. I wouldn't go back to the dealer and waste hours of your time for something that they would charge you mucho dinero for.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:31 AM
Thumbs up

when i had issues with my axle I had a bad intermittent vibration. it wasn't speed dependent. it happened randomly and most often when i was coasting. it felt like the right front passenger wheel wanted to fly off like it had a flat or something. I went to the dealer to have it looked at. they blamed the spring/shock install. said the right axle was leaking fluid. they replaced it still same problem. turns out it was the driver's side. there was clicking at the inner joint where the drivers side axle joint meets the intermediate shaft. could only be heard when we spun the tires. got a replacement aftermarket part from rockauto and installed at pepboys for a fraction of what honda ripped me off for.

sounds like there is no problem with your axles. even if ur mechanic jacked it up all the way, it would have caused your axles to pop out and he somehow popped them back in. you mention no symptoms of axle problems. if you went to get the abs sensor replaced, thats probably all u need.
There isnt a sound. Just the Cusco bar randmly hitting the tranny. They did say the swaybar endlinks were loose. I can hear it (danggling) which is an easy fix. I'll find out when he can tighten them. He's in service and dranceports parts. usually free fri, sat, sun eve. I dont blame him now. I just took a deep breath and processed what went on in the last 15min after a damn oil change. My s2k had axle issues back in 02. you could hear the splines ripping. Honda pulled me back in. The fix for that axle was cheap. My Fit is not making a sound. Just the loose fsb and the 2-point chassis bar well known to do it b4 lower. I'l contact him here... save this space. I need all the assist i can get.mm

Originally Posted by ezone

You can have axle problems and still be drive able, but it's hard to picture BROKEN and yet still derivable.

CV joint boots not ripped open and losing grease? Someone should get under the car to see what really happened.
Boots arent ripped, leaking a drop. It only has 7100 mi since i bought new. I'm pissed at my dealer. Maybe they're getting yelled at for more profits. Lying to a know Honda guy wasn't smart on their behalf.

+1

goto a shop that will do a free quote/inspection. I went to Pep Boys and they were the ones who found out the faulty side and didnt rape me on the labor. I wouldn't go back to the dealer and waste hours of your time for something that they would charge you mucho dinero for.
I have just that guy. I'll call tomorrow after my Dr. Appointment. A quick drive should tell him. If there hi no pulling hard to left/right or sporadic sounds of the known knock from clearance with transmission and my Cusco 2-point bar, hell send me home. I wanna be be covered on the sounds etc if one were to have 2 bad front axles. I'll do a record heading to Dr. too.

Ill YouTube for it too.

Thank you guys for the help... Keep this space

Old 04-05-2016, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
After you do you first mod, just pretend the dealers don't exist, they will try and blame everything on your mods. I had a Toyota dealer try and blame the failed alternator on my 2" lift kit on a mid 80's 4x4. (Leaf springs)

I find the stress of the dealer shyster is just not worth it even for warranty repairs unless its way expensive.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 PM
So i have update. Went to advanced and anther place to do checks on axles. no one click. The other issue, i hit a bump and the drivers side shock tower cracked the windshield. Any ideas why after spring install I had so much more of shock rod? Am i explaining this correctly?

Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
The other issue, i hit a bump and the drivers side shock tower cracked the windshield.
So did the rod with the big nut in the center of the strut move up out of the strut top, to break the window?

Who installed the suspension again?

Quick Reply: Okay so lowering my car, I fine out I broke both axles.