2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are you Still Driving your GE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
Why are you Still Driving your GE?

We've all known about the airbag recall for some time now.

Why haven't you taken Honda up on the free loaner?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Because I am not really worried about the air bag, its a freak thing from what I can tell. Plus my other hobbies(dirt biking and ATV riding) are far more dangerous in comparison, I am much more likely to die doing those things that I love.

I am all about beings safe, wearing seat belts and I always wear a helmet when riding, but at some point you have to make the decision when to stop, for me that is when it becomes very inconvenient. On my bike I only wear a leatt brace when jumping, most of the time I don't as its very inconvenient and uncomfortable and if just going for a trail ride why ruin the experience. Exactly like installing a 5 point harness in the fit would greatly improve its safety, but again its very inconvenient to use on a daily basis.

A loaner to me is an inconvenience I can do with out.

Again just my opinion, not saying its right.
'

Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
In Canada, there are no free loaners...

Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frenzal
really? I haven't tried finding out yet.. just got my official recall notice letter this past week

Old 04-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Your dealer is probably lying. I went to my dealer once I received the official recall from Honda. I brought the letter with me and told the service rep that I would like to have a loaner.

She explained me the procedures, I did not need to bargain with her to get a loaner. It took 3 business days for the service manager to call me that my loaner is ready (with Enterprise car rental). I had to sign a waiver that I won't drive my Fit until the airbag is fixed.

I only have to put a 250$ safety deposit with my credit card, in case of parking tickets and so on. Unlimited mileage with the loaner.

Call the toll free number at Honda Canada and complain. (Honda Canada Airbag Hotline at 1-877-445-7754)

Old 04-13-2016, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Because they're not going to put me in an MT Fit, silly.

Or an MT anything, for that matter.

But mainly because In 2014 (the last year that lazy people can get numbers for) there were 32,675 motor vehicle deaths in the US. We just had our 10th Takata airbag death. Is this really the biggest thing any of us have to worry about?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kot21
Your dealer is probably lying. I went to my dealer once I received the official recall from Honda. I brought the letter with me and told the service rep that I would like to have a loaner.

She explained me the procedures, I did not need to bargain with her to get a loaner. It took 3 business days for the service manager to call me that my loaner is ready (with Enterprise car rental). I had to sign a waiver that I won't drive my Fit until the airbag is fixed.

I only have to put a 250$ safety deposit with my credit card, in case of parking tickets and so on. Unlimited mileage with the loaner.

Call the toll free number at Honda Canada and complain. (Honda Canada Airbag Hotline at 1-877-445-7754)
Wait, what exactly happened here (I did get some paperwork, but didn't read!)?

I can get a free loaner just by calling the dealership because of the airbag recall?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by blazej
Wait, what exactly happened here (I did get some paperwork, but didn't read!)?

I can get a free loaner just by calling the dealership because of the airbag recall?

Hmm I'm not sure if it's the same in US. But from the letter I received from Honda Canada

"Please contact your dealer should you have questions
about the safe operation of your vehicle or regarding the provision of, or reimbursement for, temporary alternative
transportation."

I went to my dealer and said I want to have a loaner car. It was that simple. They were aware of the issue and they know the procedures.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in Canada and declined the car offered by Honda through Budget. I like my Fit. I put my mtn bike in the back. I have roof racks to carry my kayak. Summer is on it's way and I have a lot of free time. Another car was not workable for me. I'm more likely to get struck by lightning in my kayak or on my bike before dieing from my airbag malfunction possibility. No deaths have occurred in Canada because of the airbag issue. There are are about 54 million recalls worldwide. That is a lot of extra airbags that need to be manufactured. You may end up with a rental for a long time; could be a year plus. Not worth the inconvenience.
Not me, I'll keep driving my fit. It meets my purpose, and life only gets shorter at 64.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
May consider it. Would love to get a newer Honda as a loaner, but it looks like it will be whatever the rental car company has, usually a white econobox with minimal options.
Who pays the rental car insurance?

Old 04-13-2016, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by demouser
May consider it. Would love to get a newer Honda as a loaner, but it looks like it will be whatever the rental car company has, usually a white econobox with minimal options.
Who pays the rental car insurance?
No one. If you do it right your own insurance covers you.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vegajf
Because I am not really worried about the air bag, its a freak thing from what I can tell. Plus my other hobbies(dirt biking and ATV riding) are far more dangerous in comparison, I am much more likely to die doing those things that I love.

I am all about beings safe, wearing seat belts and I always wear a helmet when riding, but at some point you have to make the decision when to stop, for me that is when it becomes very inconvenient. On my bike I only wear a leatt brace when jumping, most of the time I don't as its very inconvenient and uncomfortable and if just going for a trail ride why ruin the experience. Exactly like installing a 5 point harness in the fit would greatly improve its safety, but again its very inconvenient to use on a daily basis.

A loaner to me is an inconvenience I can do with out.

Again just my opinion, not saying its right.
'
very reasonable thinking! if i still had my GE, i would probably still be driving it.

the faulty takata airbags are from takata mexico, i read somewhere. which means the airbags in the GK's are also probably from the same place. there's no guarantee the GK's airbags are not faulty.. ive let my wife, who drives the GK, know about this but she's fine with it. meaning there are so many other ways people can die from freak accidents there's really no reason to over react.

hell, my nissan and subaru airbags could be faulty too... just not enough statistical data people got hurt or died from it yet. watch, i'll be the first. lol drive at ur own risk.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM
I see a lot of people driving around town in Fits. I think a lot of them don't know about the recall. How does Honda get the address to send the notice to? I'm all for choice, but for the people who are driving these cars without knowing what could happen....I feel bad for them.
I sincerely hope I'm not in a loaner for a year. I already miss driving my own car! Luckily, I'm in the HAH zone----the last I heard was "late spring".
As for the replacement airbags----I hope the increased production (most likely a 24/7 operation) includes some thorough quality control.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
The new airbags are coming from a different supplier.

I've heard they're coming from the same company that did S2000 airbags, thus why it is not effected.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The new airbags are coming from a different supplier.

I've heard they're coming from the same company that did S2000 airbags, thus why it is not effected.
Right, but the pressure's on them. Hopefully they won't bypass sufficient safety checks. This is a windfall for them, and for Enterprise as well.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Has anyone with a rental tried to just get your Fit back? I'm at that point...really miss my Fit and just got my summer tires installed shortly before taking it to the dealer. Really wanting to enjoy them some!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
free loaners are probably only offered here in the us ....

Old 04-14-2016, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
very reasonable thinking! if i still had my GE, i would probably still be driving it.

the faulty takata airbags are from takata mexico, i read somewhere. which means the airbags in the GK's are also probably from the same place. there's no guarantee the GK's airbags are not faulty.. ive let my wife, who drives the GK, know about this but she's fine with it. meaning there are so many other ways people can die from freak accidents there's really no reason to over react.

hell, my nissan and subaru airbags could be faulty too... just not enough statistical data people got hurt or died from it yet. watch, i'll be the first. lol drive at ur own risk.
i have wondered how many people have gotten a rental that will be recalled later because of a bad takata airbag ? it's possible there are nearly 100 million more cars that need recalled.

i asked the dealership (at this point they still have no firm information on when parts will arrive) and they admitted it is possible it could be late this year before they are all replaced.

also asked if people with rentals will be moved to the front of the repair line. hesitation in answering leads me to believe this will happen

Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
False. I'm in Canada and I was offered a rental; but declined.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by phenoyz
I got a free loaner (requested) and they told me to keep my car on my driveway. They don't even need me to show them the mileage on the odometer, just sign a waiver.

Quick Reply: Why are you Still Driving your GE?