2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Airbag Recall Roll Call!

When did you realize your Fit had been recalled / when did you receive the notice in the mail?

Where you able to get a rental or loaner? What make/model?

Where do you live and has your airbag been replaced yet?

I checked my VIN online on 3/24 and discovered mine had been recalled. The very next day I contacted the dealer, parked my 2013 Fit (~21,100 miles) in my garage and got a loaner from Enterprise (Chrysler 200, which I do not love; I am tempted to ask for something different). I had to renew the rental contract after 30 days (Michigan law).

I was told by the dealer that the part should be received in April .... still waiting. I am in southeast Michigan.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
I heard about it here. I may or may not have gotten a letter, when folks here talk about actually getting it done, I'll think about calling my dealer to get put on their waiting list.

Rental? Not much point.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:39 AM
I read about the recall in the beginning of February when the news first broke online. I brought my car in for regular service third week of February. I had already called corporate and gotten a case number. Brought the recall up and mentioned that I wanted a rental. Got a Chevy Malibu that day from Enterprise.

About the second week of March I got the official recall notice. Enterprise had me switch out my rental in March to a Toyota Camry. I drove that until the third week of April when I got a call from my Service Manager saying the parts were in.

So I've been back in my car for just over two weeks.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Learned about the recall here, and received the letter a couple of months after that. Preferred to keep my own car so didn't request a rental. Was at the dealership on Long Island, NY earlier this week and they say they still don't have parts.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Boyfriend got the recall in the mail and didnt tell me for weeks, read up online here about it and went to get my rental. I have a 15' Nissan Versa. I like it but the sound system sucks lol I've had it about 3-4 weeks now

Old 05-12-2016, 11:18 AM
I was expecting a recall since my Ford Mustang has been on recall since July of 2015. Hear rumblings in late January about a larger recall. Searched my VIN on date it was posted and saw it was affected.

I waited until May 6th to get a loaner, what pushed me is that I noticed people who were in loaners appeared to get their cars fixed faster.

I was given a 2016 RAM 1500 QuadCab V8 Hemi as a rental as they were out of other vehicles. LOVE IT! at this point (knowing full well what I am saying next will jinx me) Honda can keep my Fit... it will be traded in very shortly after fixed for a Truck. Honda's bad for not using their own brand to supply renters because I love the comfort and size of the RAM.

Live in Bloomfield Hills Michigan.... every time I called they said Sept/Oct. Ford says my mustang is now 2017 summer.

I also have to renew the rental contract every 30 days (Michigan law).

Old 05-12-2016, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
How many threads do we need for this?

Old 05-12-2016, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Got my recall by mail about 2 months ago. Called the dealer to schedule a service appt, but they were still waiting for replacement 'bags. No word yet, I'm in Tampa, FL. My dealer is Tampa Honda.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
I found out about it from here, then checked the Honda website when it updated to find my VIN number. No long after I got the letter in the mail. I called my local Honda dealer today to see if they had received any stock. They were expecting some last month, but have not received any yet. I have not bothered with a loaner because I hate rental cars....
I am in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b

apart from the original notification, this thread is what I feel would provide the best real world handling of the recall. obviously they are months behind

Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brivers222
apart from the original notification, this thread is what I feel would provide the best real world handling of the recall. obviously they are months behind
There is a thread that is dozens of pages long with everyone posting exactly how things were handled as it happened.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
Got the letter in March, was too lazy to do anything about until I read about the free car rental on reddit early April lol.

Ended up getting a 2015 Rav4 from Enterprise. The process was real simple.

I'm from Santa Clara, CA and have no idea when the parts will be in.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
We're all snowflakes. Deal with it.

Then call your dealer every day to pester them on parts availability, demand an upgrade on your rental and insist that they pay for the shrink you have to see to deal with the trauma your life has now become.

Because you're worth it, snowflake!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Heard about it here after the post was up for about 2 weeks. It was the weekend and I called my dealer on Monday and had a 2015 Honda Fit on Monday night. 3 weeks ago my local dealer had about 90 loaner cars that they gave out from Honda and about another 90 cars from Enterprise Rent a Car.

My Honda dealer is 3 blocks from me and they just built a new building in a tight area, so all their parking is on the roof. I chose to keep my car in my garage. (Its up in the air as of me typing this with orange Koni's already in the rear and fronts going in this weekend)

They had so many cars and limited space they rented parking space from Best Buy's main headquarters. You drive by on the main hwy in front of Best Buy HQ and it is filled with about 50 air bag recalled customer Honda's and about 50 new Honda's.

I wonder if Honda's going to pay for new rotors that are all rusting up. I chose to keep my car to run it around the block to clean off the rust that starts even from sitting in a garage in spring time in Minnesota. I knew this was going to be an issue the minute they asked they wanted to store my car on the roof. I have had to do this 3 times in the last 2.5 mouths it has been sitting. With really crap braking until they cleaned up. I bet no one thought of adding in labor and cost of new rotors into this airbag recall from sitting cars.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:44 AM
Saw the recall here under "who's still driving their fit", got a free rental from the dealer a few days later and got the mailed recall notice a few days after that in early March.

Took and Uber to the dealer (so I could save time while my Fit could stay in my driveway under a cover) and they told me parts wouldn't be available until August. Was given a 2016 Nissan Versa Note and was told they'd call me every 60 day to renew the rental agreement. In mid May, 2 months and 2300 miles later, the part came in and they had my Fit repaired in under 2 hours.

Since I live in an area where there are no loaners, only rentals, I can't imagine the speed up in fix time was motivated by the $1800 in rental fees Honda paid while I wasn't driving my Fit.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like the HONDA concern is saving money , not safety of ALL owners . This is why this whole mess is present . Thanks to their large investment in TAKATA and being the biggest user of their airbags . They've both known of the issue since 2004 . The $ rules .

Last edited by Odie; 05-23-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM
Today marks the 3rd week I am in my Ram Hemi rental truck. Next week I will have to go in and re-up my rental agreement. At this point no communication from Honda and I don't plan on calling them as I love the truck. I will just ride this out as long as it takes.

I did receive a 2nd letter from Ford stating that while the parts aren't in yet, they expect to have them in by 4th quarter of this year. So its still a few months off for ford with a lot less airbags to replace.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
My recall came in the mail the same day my title did. I didn't even get to enjoy the "It's paid off!" feeling for 15 seconds!

Old 05-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by alexcrouse
My recall came in the mail the same day my title did. I didn't even get to enjoy the "It's paid off!" feeling for 15 seconds!
well just think, when its repaired you will have a paid off hardly any issue vehicle

Old 05-28-2016, 09:51 AM
2007-2008 fits are now recalled as well as of today's announcement. VIN checks will be updated on June 6th and I work at a Honda Dealer so I will get a rental and keep my miles low. We have a bunch of 2nd gen fits sitting at the dealership waiting for parts.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall Roll Call!