2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual tranny-clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:28 AM
manual tranny-clutch

New to the forum here and I have found a lot of great info so far. We are looking at buying a fit this week-test drove both the sport auto and sport manual. We have a civic with manual and love it, so thought that would be the way to go for a mosr fun driving expeirence with the Fit and slightly better gas milage. The auto seemed a bit boring. Anyway, I've driven manuals forever and shifting this Fit was not easy. The clutch seems to engage very late in the throw and engine revs really high. I felt like a new kid learning to drive a standard! I told the sales person this and he asked if I could get used to it. Well, yeah, but I didn't like how the clutch felt at all. Not sure if that can be adjusted? I read in these forums also something about the throttle "hanging" and one has to change the shifting movements some while driving a fit-True?
Well, just afew questions here-looking forward to being a Fit owner soon.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeurett
New to the forum here and I have found a lot of great info so far. We are looking at buying a fit this week-test drove both the sport auto and sport manual. We have a civic with manual and love it, so thought that would be the way to go for a mosr fun driving expeirence with the Fit and slightly better gas milage. The auto seemed a bit boring. Anyway, I've driven manuals forever and shifting this Fit was not easy. The clutch seems to engage very late in the throw and engine revs really high. I felt like a new kid learning to drive a standard! I told the sales person this and he asked if I could get used to it. Well, yeah, but I didn't like how the clutch felt at all. Not sure if that can be adjusted? I read in these forums also something about the throttle "hanging" and one has to change the shifting movements some while driving a fit-True?
Well, just afew questions here-looking forward to being a Fit owner soon.
yes it it true about the throttle hang time. this is how it
was made. that your going to have to get used to and the
same goes with the clutch position.
i test drove one and it didn't feel that bad. i would think
in less than a week i wouldn't know anything was there.
but i bought the Auto anyway. i do alot of highway and MPG
was an issue with me. the auto is alot less noisy at highway
speeds due to about 900 rpm slower than stick.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Two things from me.

First is yes, there is a rev hang, you can find information on that with a quick search.

Second, you test drove a new Fit. I was the same when I first bought it, but after the 600 mile break in it felt good. That and I guess I just got used to how the transmission is.

Welcome and hope to see you join the family

Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you cant get use to the fit's clutch obviously you havent been driving "MT cars" forever...rather the same MT car forever. hahaha.

the FitS is one of the easiest cars to drive MT. just get use
to the clutch engagement point (which is pretty neutral vs
other MT cars ive driven and have) and the hang time on the
fuel burn off.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if you cant get use to the fit's clutch obviously you havent been driving "MT cars" forever...rather the same MT car forever. hahaha.

fuel burn off.
Fit clutch was so light that at first I thought there was something broken. This is coming from an ACT2900 in another car... now I can't wait to go back to that one and see if I can get used to it again.

Hang time is something that you won't even notice unless you're one of those drivers that stare at the rpms as you drive.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
I found my clutch engaging very high up off the floor when I first bought the car, but after a few weeks it bedded in and improved. (Maybe I got used to it as well) Now it seems a lot more progressive.

My main issue with it is first and second, especially downchanges, when the gearbox is cold. It seems like it takes a few miles for the oil to warm up and not be so sticky.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the replies-I've driven many MTs, and as rosswond wrote- the Fit engages really high off the floor, but as it seems to be the case, that will "work it's way in" and I'll get used to how the throttle/clutch work....I haven't had a new car for some time. The civic is very neutral and I love how it shifts-smooth as silk. My truck-well, that always takes some tickling....
Thanks Fit Freaks-still wheelin and dealing and getting close to signing papers with one of the dealers. Question-do all Honda dealers tack on this "$99.00 service fee?" (after their final price).

Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

fuel burn off.
I just traded in an '01 Focus that I'd put 120,000 miles on for an '09 Fit, and yeah, I had an adjustment period for the clutch. Yes, it's very easy to drive, but like what you said, I had been driving the same MT car for a real long time, and that clutch pedal was like an extension of my left foot. It'll take a little while to get used to the lightness of the Fit's clutch to the point where I can drive real smooth again.