2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing sound when you want to ignite - start engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Buzzing sound when you want to ignite - start engine

Hi All,

Anyone experience buzzing sound during ignition on GE6.

As usual, you insert the key and turn 2 clicks down, wait for the lights to light up and sound to go off. To ignite, I turn the key and that's when I encounter the buzzing sound (zzz) for 2 sec and then, the engine starts. Sometimes the buzz will go on and engine refuse to start. I got to release the key and turn it again.

I was wondering could it be due to the contact was not fully intact but manage to ignite.

The sound comes from the display meter.

I am wondering if anyone encounter it before and share your experience.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 AM
Sounds vaguely like the symptoms of a weak battery.

When you turn the car to "Start", it engages a relay/starter solenoid that connects the required high current directly from the battery to the starter motor. If the battery is weak, it has enough power to engage the relay, but when the starter motor attempts to pull high current to turn the engine, the battery can't handle the load, and effectively releases the relay. Because the relay is now open, the starter is no longer drawing current, so there is enough power (again) to engage the relay, then the whole cycle repeats. The result is a buzzing sound as the relay alternately closes and opens. (This is roughly how mechanical buzzers are designed).

Another symptom of this would be the interior lights dimming appreciably or turning off altogether when you attempt to start the car.

Sometimes, there is just enough impulse from the initial surge to turn the engine enough for it to start. Once that happens, the engine is running off of the alternator instead of the battery. The Fits have tiny batteries anyway, so this seems like a good possible cause of your problem.

Or it may be something else ...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
I get a little buzz when I put it on II but I have no idea what it is. starts/runs no problem though

Old 05-30-2009, 06:10 AM
its normal, happens on acura tls too

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
fuel pump maybe?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Buzzing sound when the key is at position 2 (on) is the fuel pump priming for ~2 sec, normal.

Buzzing at position 3 (start) is not normal. Could be weak battery as mentioned above or something else. Get it checked out.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Just want to share a bit more of the issue ;

I don't get the buzz sound (2 secs) when I click twice to position II, I get buzzing sound when I continue to turn from position II to ignite/start the engine.

This buzz sound only happen at times and it doesn't happen everytime when starting engine.

I remember that I began encountering it after 1 month of collection.

I have waited for the beeping sound to stop before I start the engine.

I have a friend who is also having the same problem, but yet to send it for checking. His is worst. He encounter the buzz sound on the first day when he collected his new car. I think restart it solve the issue that time and he never ask to check it then.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Sounds like you are describing a buzz from a relay/solenoid.
If you turn the key slow enough after the accessory 2 position to start the vehicle, there will be a buzz from a relay - by the dash area like you describe.
Most, if not all newer Hondas will do so.
Just cycle the key faster and there won't be an issue.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Litespeed
If you turn the key slow enough after the accessory 2 position to start the vehicle, there will be a buzz from a relay - by the dash area like you describe.
Hi Litespeed,

You are right, the buzzing comes from the dash area - display meter. You mean newer honda car has this problem where it will happen if you turn it too slow ?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Litespeed
you are on the money.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 PM
gtv105 - Yes, but it's not a problem. Just a normal occurrence/result of a key turning slowly. I haven't check with all models, but most do that I am aware of.

Keep in mind that it's a different type of noise than a weak battery. It's also considered normal if the vehicle cranks, but turns over a few seconds later - meaning it cranks for 1-4 seconds, then starts.

Thanks rock66 - aloha!

I hope we on describing the same noise and occurrence - it's very difficult to describe much less diagnose a noise over a forum.
If the noise is easily duplicated, swing by the local dealership and show them. Describe the noise and insist on duplicating it while a service adviser/tech/shop foreman is there to hear the exact same noise so that there is no confusion.
As a customer, I would hate getting a "we tried and could not hear anything unusual, it's normal" response.
As an tech/employee, I would hate "what the F noise is he/she talking about? Where is it? How? When? All the time? Happens how?" if NO ONE has heard the noise - or even worse they hear some thing else and fix THAT instead of the noise you hear.

Last edited by Litespeed; 05-31-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 AM
I went to the dealer and told the service advisor about the buzz sound. He said he never encounter this issue before. And he proceed to start and stop the engine a few times continuously without adequate pausing. I'm wondering is this the way to test out, looks more like trying to fault it.
He then said it does not seem like weak battery causing the buzz sound as the display lights are bright when starting the engine.
I proceed and manage to show him the buzz sound when I started the engine. He was like stunned from what he heard. I ask him what could the problem and he kept silent, seem he doesn't know what is causing it and unable to provide any information - inexperience chap. At least he should have checked with his peers or tech to find out more. Disappoint.
All he can do is to send for further investigation and he will get the tech to simulate the problem and find out the cause. That will take 5 - 6 hrs and he sounded to me that there is no guarantee that the tech can resolve. Thinking that it is a waste of time leaving it there, I drove off.

He told me there is a solenoid near the key socket and the sound probably comes from there which I notice too; as I thought it comes from the display meter all along. Does it any link with the fuel pump ?

Need some advise from you guys. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM
best advice i can give you is that dont worry about it. the advisor was probably stunned because he never encountered it himself...it is a very rare occasion to hear the buzzing sound, after all you have to turn the key slowly and 9 out of 10 people will not turn their key slow because if there in the car that means they need to be somewhere..and besides all it will do is create a paranoia that will eat you up and think your car is a POS.

there should be a service bulletin for this concern that the advisor can print describing the noise, but it may not distinguish for an 09 fit but rest assured it applies, my advisor showed me.

remember you have options,factory warranty is good at any dealer if you want a second opinion, or you could ask the dealer to check the concern, let them do there thing and be on your way..now this is the next question:

"why would i wanna leave my car with them if there not gonna find nothing after leaving it with them for 5-6 hours?"

the answer is simple, you want them to document it. why? because if something does happen to go wrong outside of warranty and it pertains to that concern, then you can call american honda and try to get it covered
..within a reasonable time period of course.

HOPE THIS HELPS,you dont wanna end up like the guys that no one wants to help when you pull up for service?

just joking....THE FIT IS GO

Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by spinlooproll
I agree, the noise can be reproduced. I think it is sparking due to a not-so-great switch design where you can get stuck in between an on and off position. I have reproduced this myself several times.

I'm not advising you to turn the key into crank position from off in one go, just go step by step but with no pauses in between the key positions. I hope I didn't sound too confusing.
Hi spinlooproll,

Just to make a bit clear on this. Are you saying that turning the key from "O" to "l" to "ll" without any pause, and wait for the beeping sound to stop before you turn again to crank. or ...

Thanks.