2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tire psi OCD disorder

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Tire psi OCD disorder

I seem to have tire psi ocd disorder.

I check the air pressure once a week or more.

I have a portable power station, and air filler.

I never see any of my neighbors doing this, but I always read how important it is for safety and gas mileage to keep proper tire pressure for your car.

I try and keep my tire at 32.2 psi. Dont ask me why

1. Anyone else want to admit you check your tires often?
2. What psi do you all like to keep?

-Paul

ps: dont get lazy with air pressure just because the FIT will tell you if your at 28 or so. Keep it right.

Tire Tips and Maintenance

Your tires are the only part of your vehicle that actually touches the road when you drive. It only takes a couple of minutes of maintenance each month to keep your tires working at their best.
Check Your Air Pressure Once a Month

Incorrect air pressure is the leading cause of tire damage. To avoid tire damage you need to check your tire's air pressure once a month.
The correct tire pressure is listed on the vehicle placard & can be found in the following places:
In the car owner's manual
Under the gas tank lid
Along the driver's side door edge
Along the door post
The air pressure listed on the side of your tire is NOT the correct air pressure for your vehicle. That number is the maximum air pressure for the tire. Remember to check the air in your spare tire.
Don't get stranded or put out costly towing expenses. Check your air pressure on your spare regularly. Note: If you have different rims than came on your vehicle originally, make sure that the bolts on your spare tire are the correct fitting.
Failure to keep your tires properly inflated can increase wear and will have a negative effect on your vehicles handling.

When checking and adjusting tire pressure, the following should be kept in mind:
Check the air pressure when the tire is cold - tires become hot even after driving just a mile. If you must drive to add air, check your air pressure before you leave. Air pressure changes 1-2 pounds for every 10 degrees of temperature change. Air pressure goes up in warm weather and down in cold weather.
Tire pressure must be the same on the tires of each axle, but may be different on the front and rear axle.
Valve caps must be tightly closed to protect the valve from dust and dirt and prevent it from leaking.
Replace missing valve caps without delay.
Take this opportunity to inspect your tires to make sure there is nothing stuck in them or they have no deformities.

Tread Depth

To prevent hydroplaning and skidding your tires must have proper tread depth. The minimum tread depth is 1/16th of and inch.
Ask anyone, the easiest way to check your tread depth...the penny test. What is the penny test? Take a penny and place it in the tread of your tire. If part of Lincoln's head is covered by the tread your tires have enough tread. If you can see Lincoln's entire head, you should buy a new tire.
You should also check your tire tread for uneven wear. Irregular wear shortens the life of your tires, if you think you have uneven wear you should take you vehicle to your tire dealer.

Rotation

The best way to prevent uneven wear is to have your tires rotated every 6,000 - 8,000 miles or as specified in your vehicle's owner manual.

Potential Tire Troubles

Curbs can prove to be big trouble to your tires. Approach curbs with care, if you drive over them too fast or at the wrong angle the impact may cause the tire to crack.
Avoid potholes or debris in the road when possible.
Avoid fast stops & starts.
Be sure to check your owner's manual for your vehicles maximum load. Overloading your vehicle can shorten your tires life.

Replacing Your Tires

You should replace your tires with the same type of tires that came on your vehicle original equipment. This includes tire size, type and speed rating.

Last edited by FIT410S; 07-09-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
In fifty thousand miles I've checked them maybe 6 times.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
I tend to check mine at least once a week.

No hard figures on tire pressure but I like to keep mine between 30-35 psi.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I check mine about twice/year. As we have three seasons here in VT, I check at the beginning and end of snow season and make it through Humid and mosquito seasons without a check.

towards the beginning of ownership, I check more often just to see what I can expect for air pressure loss. None whatsoever with the Fit. had a tire on the altima that would lose a lb every week. so I traded for the fit. (ok... so not the actual reason but hey... )

I stay at the recommended level as I'm averaging 37.71mpg over the life of the car and see no need to unsafely overinflate for "economy" reasons. (38-40 on each of the last 9 tanks)

~SB

Last edited by specboy; 07-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I often check mine more than once a week, changing temperatures change the psi.

I also experiment with pressures to see what difference there is in comfort, handling, etc.

I like to keep mine at 36psi, unless I'm planning on driving into New York City.

Trips to the city get 40psi, to protect my rims from potholes.

Is there a pill for this problem????

Old 07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
There is a pill - but driving is not recommended. Sometimes you just have to let go a bit._.._

Old 08-13-2015, 10:18 PM
I check them if I feel them, or when we rotate to winters.
I don't run over curbs.
never been an issue.

Had a screw in the tire of the crv once. noticed it before the tire hit 25 lbs.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I check them whenever the tire pressure light comes on. Usually only in the wintertime.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have a Fit, a Harley-Davidson and a road bicycle. I have an air compressor because my hand pump won't reach the 120psi I need for the bicycle. I usually air up the bicycle tires once every one-two weeks. While I have air in the tank I'll also check the motorcycle and car tires and add/release air as needed. I'll also check tire pressure before a long drive or trip.

Air is important. Check it often.

Yes, I'm an engineer.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 08-14-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
36 psi
Check them about every 2 or 3 weeks.
If one of our cars has a slow leaker it gets checked every week.
I use a $300 digital tire gauge that racing teams use. I guess that alone is OCD.