Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Tire Pressure

The tire pressure light came on (looks at her old post) October 29, which is what, nearly a month and a half ago? Well, it came on again at the end of last week. Me, blaming it on cold weather and/or an over-sensitive warning light, didn't even check the tire pressure until tonight, almost a week later (not waiting that long again). Well, I checked all my tires and three were fine, hadn't gone down much since I last filled them with air.

However, my left rear tire was REALLY low. I didn't really check the exact number but it was probably 25ish psi. I felt so stupid for not checking and just obliviously driving without realizing it. Now it's filled up with air, but I'm worried that there might be a hole in the tire or something? I know nothing when it comes to cars (except the absolute basics... like accelerator = go, brake = stop) so I'm wondering if there's any other reason a tire would get that low when others are fine? (Maybe it's wishful thinking that it could be something else). I'm paranoid that next time I turn on my car, the tire pressure light will be back on. I'd hate to have to take it to the dealership to get it looked at, but if it happens again I might just have to do that...

Thanks in advance for your insights and help!

Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
That tire might just have not been aired up all the way you could have done something to that tire like hit it on something. It could have a leak who knows. If it gets low again there is no need to take it back to honda as tires are not covered under warranty. You would need to take it to a tire shop and see if they can find the leak if there is one and have them patch it or get a new tire.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned
Another reason for a low tire could be a leak in the cast aluminum wheel itself. Metals that are cast sometimes have porosity (little holes in the metal). Porosity in cast wheels can be invisible to the eye. The only way to find defective cast wheels is to have a tire shop completely immerse the wheel with the inflated tire on it in a container of water. A cast wheel with a porosity leak will have tiny air bubbles coming out of it.

If a defective wheel is found, it is a warranty issue and replacement will be free from any Honda dealer. If you are out of warranty, a leaky wheel can be fixed with silicone sealer applied over the leak on the inside of the wheel. Once the silicone seal cures, the leak will stop.

Last edited by manxman; 12-10-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
Another reason for a low tire could be a leak in the cast aluminum wheel itself. Metals that are cast sometimes have porosity (little holes in the metal). Porosity in cast wheels can be invisible to the eye. The only way to find defective cast wheels is to have a tire shop completely immerse the wheel with the inflated tire on it in a container of water. A cast wheel with a porosity leak will have tiny air bubbles coming out of it.

If a defective wheel is found, it is a warranty issue and replacement will be free from any Honda dealer. If you are out of warranty, a leaky wheel can be fixed with silicone sealer applied over the leak on the inside of the wheel. Once the silicone seal cures, the leak will stop.
Excellent point and it *does* happen. I had a porosity issue the the transmission of a previous American car. It is worth checking as if it is a warranty covered item you want to take advantage of that.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
Good Point MANXMAN. We had porous wheels on an early 90s GEO.

Has anyone had porosity issues with OE Honda (Enkei) wheels, though? We haven't.

Individual tires can also leak air. (One of my current cars has two rear tires that leak two pounds a week...the previous tires had no issues)

One last contributor could be corrosion at the rim. Ever looked at the options list of new cars and notice that the BLING wheels are "Chrome-Like" and not actually chrome over alloy? It's because corrosion makes the rims difficult to hold air.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Good Point MANXMAN. We had porous wheels on an early 90s GEO.

Has anyone had porosity issues with OE Honda (Enkei) wheels, though? We haven't.

Individual tires can also leak air. (One of my current cars has two rear tires that leak two pounds a week...the previous tires had no issues)

One last contributor could be corrosion at the rim. Ever looked at the options list of new cars and notice that the BLING wheels are "Chrome-Like" and not actually chrome over alloy? It's because corrosion makes the rims difficult to hold air.
Yeah, I'm not saying that porous wheels are a big issue- out of millions of wheels sold either through dealers or after-market, very few of them leak air. But SOME do, and the problem is easy to find in a tub of water. Rims made of billet or forged materials don't have this problem, only cast rims. Most wheels, unfortunately, are castings.