2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kurisux92
Mine wore out in 10,000 miles with mild driving, no handbraking, no sliding, no barking, and without rotation.
Wow. I'm 30k+ on the Turanza and still going... and I've always though the stock Bridgestones were crap!

Old 08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
werd... the stock dunlops or watever that's on my GE has well over 18k miles and much more than 1/2 tread left.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
^^ that could be just the crown of the road to sheet off water. especially in areas prone to heavy rain they put more angle which results in cars pulling to one side..usually right as you mentioned.
That is a lot of it, but on the street I live on, there's a housing development down the road that was started, but never finished. So whenever there's a good rain, all the water ran down into the ditch and filled the ditches in the winter, so the water froze on the road and there's a lot of heavy traffic, so grooves have been worn into the road.

Even so, a good technician accounts for road crown and adjusts the alignment according to keep the track straight on the local roads. Or at least, that's how I was taught in my Auto-Tech class. :P

Old 08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
werd... the stock dunlops or watever that's on my GE has well over 18k miles and much more than 1/2 tread left.
Originally Posted by neteng101
Wow. I'm 30k+ on the Turanza and still going... and I've always though the stock Bridgestones were crap!
My OE Dunlops were bad about tread squirm too. I have never heard anything good about either the Bridgestone OE's or the Dunlop's, other than that the Bridgestones were slightly better. Down here, I have not seen a single 2009 GE8 that had stock wheels, because all the local tire shops don't stock tires in the size that's required of the stock wheel (Spoken from experience. I even went to the Dunlop dealer and they didn't stock the SP Sport 7000, and said that it was a junk tire.).

I switched to a 15x7" wheel with Bridgestone Potenzas and don't regret it at all. The tires in the correct size for plus zero are cheaper too. As opposed to 120$ dollars a tire plus shipping, they're about 85$ a piece.

...Except for that annoying orange TPMS light cluttering up my gauge cluster.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Drive up to at least 90 and then decelerate back to highway speeds. Suddenly you will find that your perception has changed.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
Drive up to at least 90 and then decelerate back to highway speeds. Suddenly you will find that your perception has changed.
I'm afraid the stability of my current car, both in sweeping curves and tracking on straightaways, may cost me some money one day. It feels so at home at higher speeds that I'll slowly drift to higher speeds if I don't use the cruise.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
I'm afraid the stability of my current car, both in sweeping curves and tracking on straightaways, may cost me some money one day. It feels so at home at higher speeds that I'll slowly drift to higher speeds if I don't use the cruise.
That's the thing about the Fit - it keeps you out of that sort of trouble.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
even with our crappy highways here, mine doesn't seem to have much trouble. Pulls to the right slightly, but I'm getting a new alignment done sometime this week. We'll see how it goes after that.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
I feel it during strong winds...lowering it helps

Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM
2010 Sport for sale. 30k miles. No damage history. Inherited new one! $15,987

Old 03-17-2012, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Too much air in wide tires and not so wide wheel beads will cause the center of the tread to make more contact and the tread on the sides to actually lift off of the pavement and only one side will make decent contact when in a turn....
I had added some air to the tires on my wife's Forester because she was going to be driving about 160 miles today and she told me that she was being blown all over the road. The tires are 215-65-16" on 6 1/2" wheel rims... Using 205-50-16" tires on 6 1/2" has the same effect on my car if I put 36.0 PSI in the front and 32.5 PSI in the rear tires... With 195-55-15s on 15"/7" wheels I had to put much more air pressure into the tires before it drove much differently even in very high winds.... Windy Spring weather cool mornings, and warmer pavement in the heat of the day is going to take some relearning and adjusting to the quirks of nature if you are the type of driver that likes driving on the very edge of adhesion on challenging curves and the wind is one more annoyance the new Fit owners will be griping about.... On very windy days a shot or two of Liquor will relax you enough to prevent you from over reacting and weaving from lane to lane. Even if it doesn't help very much that way, you can have another shot or two or even more to where you don't give a damn if you are weaving or not....

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 03-17-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:25 AM
It is not a luxury sedan, it is a smaller car with a higher profile compared to the wheel width. It takes some getting used to, as it did for me. But having given Oranje Fit a good workout in Arkansas over the last few days it settles nicely once you've been driving about 5-10 miles. This is all stock, can't wait to see/feel differnce for myself with Swift springs.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
You are going to love the Swift springs... I had them on my 2007 Fit and would still have them on it if they hadn't dropped the front end as low as it did... I had been having problems wit ground clearance since day one.... I finally got a set of coil overs to raise the car up to a height that allows it to be driven fast with out worry of destroying another front bumper, fender liners or front lip.... The Swift Kit for the GE8 works out much better as far as clearance issues and the ride and handling is as good as is the kit for the GD3..

Old 03-18-2012, 07:46 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Euromedic
It is not a luxury sedan, it is a smaller car with a higher profile compared to the wheel width.
The issue with the Fit wandering has nothing to do with tire width and everything to with aerodynamics. You're right that the high profile is part of the issue, but I feel that airflow under the car is a very large contributor as well. I strongly encourage folks who are concerned with highway speed stability to add a front undertray. It literally cured my fit from wandering.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
I just got my fit and the first thing I noticed was on the highway it felt really loose

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
The steering is very responsive and difficult to adjust to... Right after getting my Fit I began thinking I would never adjust to the sensitivity of the steering.... Higher air pressure in the tires made it feel much worse but it was the tires and alignment causing the problems I was having... I have never thought like it was cross winds causing it to drift because I also have a GMC Safari cargo van and know very well how high winds affect a car... It is the quick steering ratio and very little caster that causes the Fit to be difficult to keep pointed in a straight line... I like having the lightest wheels and tires I can use on my car but I have found that at fast highway speeds heavier tires want to go in a straight line and provide a more relaxing ride... I have also noticed that if the front suspension is lowered considerably more than the rear the negative change in caster will cause the car to be more difficult to drive in a straight line.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
i got a 2012 fit sport cvt with 3,600 k so far yeah i have felt the sway in the car but it still fills stable my 2 cents r that the with of stock tire are 185 lol better off running 205 and also it say the fit recoment 33 psi on it lol so i put it at 38 frnt and 37 rear feels ok but my next tire sixe im running 205 for sure cuz it should take the wobb out

Old 03-19-2012, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
I have it as well. I always attributed it to the boxy shape and light rear.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I have a 2009 fit sport. When there is weight in the car the suspension in the front points the wheels outwards...causing it to not point so well at speed. the rear suspension tows inwards. just how its made. but its also very lightweight and it tracks and follows contours in the road.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Bumping this old thread. I've been having problems with the fit being overly "twitchy" on the highway as well. Actually to the point where it feels a bit unsafe.

My question is, would upgrading to swift springs help with this issue much?

I have a 2012 MT sport and have already upgraded to Conti DWS wheels. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?