2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Shish, I had that problem when my 2010 was new. It was unbearable. After a trip back to the dealer and the usual "seems fine to us" and "give it time to break in" response, I decided to just wait and see if it got better with time. To my surprise, after a few thousand miles, it settled down and now it's perfectly fine. I was worried that when I switched to my winter tires and rims, the problem might come back, but it didn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Lot of the so called 'wandering' is the sensitive steering. It reminds me of my old Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite! Which had very positive rack and pinion.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shishkabab
My question is, would upgrading to swift springs help with this issue much?

I have a 2012 MT sport and have already upgraded to Conti DWS wheels. Thanks for the help!
Wow... you still have significant twitching after going to DWS's? Did you get the 205/50/16's?

After I got the 205 DWS's the twitchiness was greatly reduced at highway speeds... of course due to the car's drag coefficient I can only feel it now if it's really windy out and/or when passing big rigs.

I don't have Swifts (I'm getting Bilsteins this year), but those that do said that & the RSB helped... so if you're not planning on coils, definitely look at the Swift/RSB combo... there's many positive reviews of that combo on this site.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by FitStir
Wow... you still have significant twitching after going to DWS's? Did you get the 205/50/16's?

After I got the 205 DWS's the twitchiness was greatly reduced at highway speeds... of course due to the car's drag coefficient I can only feel it now if it's really windy out and/or when passing big rigs.

I don't have Swifts (I'm getting Bilsteins this year), but those that do said that & the RSB helped... so if you're not planning on coils, definitely look at the Swift/RSB combo... there's many positive reviews of that combo on this site.
Yup 205/50/16

It's the constant small corrections that bother me.

I came from a VW gti and I could drive that thing with my knees

Old 01-15-2014, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
Yup 205/50/16

It's the constant small corrections that bother me.

Oh the small corrections, not the twitchiness like some owners experience on the car... then this is probably why.
Originally Posted by MCHFit2013
Lot of the so called 'wandering' is the sensitive steering.

The Fit does have quite sensitive steering. shishkabab, I'd try the RSB/Swift combo to see if it improves... you gotta ask the owners of that set up because I don't have that and I'm not familiar with all the characteristics of that set up, other than reading those owners experience that do have that.

I have read that others who have gone to 215 or 225 (track set up cars), have said that's improved the steering sensitivity problem. Other's I've read pulled the power steering fuse... which increased the resistance and was more steady.

Those are possible solutions, but you'd have to search/read those threads for more info.

Oh, I know... that's one of the only things I miss about German cars.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM
It's a tall, light car with a short wheelbase that comes from the factory with narrow, crappy tires.

Just changing the tires fixed it for me. The stock 175 base tires were scary floaty. I went from 175-185-195-205 now. The 205s feel boss on the freeway but I suspect most of that is from superior tire construction and increasing wheel width + offset for more total wheel track.

I will say the 195s were better than the 185s in terms of wandering and they were the same tire, just different size. The 185s felt "faster" though.

*All of the above is referencing 15" size

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM
my current tires destroyed nearly all of the "highway wondering" that the shitty factory dunlops had. Plus, my tires were half the price of factory.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that about 60% of the Fits have a bad case of wondering.
I know because a tested alot of them. I even went through Arbitration with Honda but it was a sham. The arbitrator wouldnt let me show him how my fit did wander. I tried every other thing I could think of including changing tires with no success till I put a gravel guard under the front end. THAT FIXED IT! No more wandering.
Raylon

Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
How would an RSB prevent wandering or lessen twitchiness?

This makes zero sense.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
my current tires destroyed nearly all of the "highway wondering" ....
Me too, as soon as I put on the DWS's.. The only time I'll feel any slight bit of wandering now is in heavy winds.

Originally Posted by mike410b
How would an RSB prevent wandering or lessen twitchiness?

This makes zero sense.
You gotta ask the owners who claimed that... it was probably the springs that helped them and thought is was RSB... but even the hugest supporter of the RSB said something to that effect too.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Picked my own brain for scenarios where a RSB alone would help with straight line stability and I can't come up with any, so if anyone has a logical explanation i'm all ears.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Picked my own brain for scenarios where a RSB alone would help with straight line stability and I can't come up with any, so if anyone has a logical explanation i'm all ears.
Oh, I know... I agree.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my GE's (both stock 09 and my 12 with swift, 205/50/16 DWS ET40/35 offsets 16x7) gets blown around on the expressway on a gusty day. it's just part of the character of the car.

when you have other cars that are heavier, lower, and much wider, you'll know wat not getting blown around really is.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
my GE's (both stock 09 and my 12 with swift, 205/50/16 DWS ET40/35 offsets 16x7) gets blown around on the expressway on a gusty day. it's just part of the character of the car.

when you have other cars that are heavier, lower, and much wider, you'll know wat not getting blown around really is.
Kenchan.....is there any difference in highway performance between your stock and 2012?

Did the swift springs help keep the fit on more of a straight arrow path on the freeway?

Thanks so much

Old 01-16-2014, 03:07 PM
constant steering corrections

I had put on custom wheels ...slightly wider than stock and performance tires....and it fixed my tendency to relax while driving. Every little nuance in road conditions became lurching moves to one side or the other... after I wore those tires out I went back to the stock wheel...and tire size....put a softer tire and now l fall asleep at the wheel....no more lurching behavior...

Its true that the wind does affect it, but its a light weight car.... also.... the amount of weight you are carrying has a large impact on it as well... with a large load in the back the suspension tends to cause the front wheels to point outwards slightly...not sure what the technical word is...but this is just an Engineering/Design flaw that I doubt can be fixed without an entire new suspension. I hear those class B racing kits are fun though.

Its like riding a go cart. Have fun and stay alert.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:31 PM
That's toe-out. You can probably fix that for the most part with the rear air-shock mod if you really carry heavy loads like that a lot. I know it doesn't take much weight to get a nasty reverse rake going on, and yes that will increase the darty feeling.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:52 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raylonrr
There is no doubt in my mind that about 60% of the Fits have a bad case of wondering.
I know because a tested alot of them. I even went through Arbitration with Honda but it was a sham. The arbitrator wouldnt let me show him how my fit did wander. I tried every other thing I could think of including changing tires with no success till I put a gravel guard under the front end. THAT FIXED IT! No more wandering.
Raylon
This. I'm guessing that a "gravel guard" is a metal plate that attaches under the front of the car, similar to the Beatrush undertray referred to in my sig. This fixed my car's tendency to wander at highway speeds. No spring changes, factory crap Dunlop tires, no wandering. It's aerodynamics, folks.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
I own a 2007 sport and I find it's a joy to drive on the highway except maybe for the rather upright seating position but I'm getting used to it. Might eventually do the whole washers under the seat mod.

I love that the Fit's steering is so tight and responsive. I generally get in cruise control and drive with one hand on the wheel and using the other to occasionally increase or decrease speed with the steering wheel buttons. However, it is very prone to windblast, more so than any other car I've driven so you must stay alert because the "wandering" can be quite violent if you get strong x winds or cross a semi.

I also raised the low beams that I thought were absolutely way too low for safety. Most highways in Quebec are two way so you can almost never drive with the highbeams due to oncoming traffic.

I think most wandering and pulling is due to bad allignment or incorrect wheel balancing. My wheels are balanced and aligned and it just tracks perfectly. However, I get considerable feedback in my wheel from imperfections in the road; at high speeds, a big pothole might even jerk the steering wheel out of my hand if I'm not careful so I have to use to hands on the wheel on damaged bumpy roads.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Now my other 2010 fit sport is wandering, even with the plastic gravel guard. It goes left when I accelerate and right when I decelerate as did the other one before I added the gravel guard. Mileage says 68k miles.
Is honda ever going to fix this?
Raylon

Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by MTLian
...except maybe for the rather upright seating position but I'm getting used to it. Might eventually do the whole washers under the seat mod.

Explain? I'd love to lower my seat, but don't "get" how adding washers would resolve the issue.

I also hate how the Fit behaves at highway speeds. As soon as I can, I'd like to lower, and go with a good set of wider wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: Anyone think the Fit wanders at highway speeds?