2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
Should I fix it?

I have a 2009 Fit Sport in BBP with 90K miles. I put on about 20-25K miles per year due to my 90 mile/ day commute. I pretty much plan on driving this car for the next 5 years (at least until 200K miles) as it has been hassle free.

About a year ago, somebody dinged the driver's side door and there is quarter sized rust patch there. Also, I have a verticle tear in the bumper (no rust, since it's plastic).

I did a quick stop at a body shop and they said the bumper would be like $300-500 installed (likely aftermarket) and the rust patch would be close to $1,000 because they have to take the door off, polish and blend the paint in.

1) Are those prices in the ballpark?
2) Would you fix the door and or bumper? Keep in mind that I don't necessarily care about the look, but if I have to discount the price of fixing that on a sale/ fix it before selling, I should enjoy the door and bumper now, correct?

Also, as many of you know the paint on the front of the hood is kind of nicked up because of rocks, salt... I guess that would also need to be painted.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
I'd think about doing something to the door, but a grand seems steep.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
I'd think about doing something to the door, but a grand seems steep.
I know, and it's not that big. It's raining now, but I'll post pics. Maybe there is a cheaper dent fix method?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
$1000 seems high for the door. They should be able to fix it in place. But $300-500 seems cheap for the bumper. They usually run $700 whether repaired or a new bumper cover.

I'd get a couple more estimates, but this is in the ballpark.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by blazej
I.........plan on driving this car for the next 5 years........it has been hassle free..........
Here's what I'd do with no plans to sell in 5 more years:
- definitely remove the door ding with accumulated rust. How? Get one of those paintless dent wizard to pop it out for you (or watch some You Tube video and do it yourself).
Depending on where its located, buy materials and re-paint that particular panel (e.g. if the dent is at the bottom of the door then paint only that bottom portion not the whole door) yourself (again, watch You Tube). It may not come out perfect but in 5 more years, it will be faded paint not massive RUST. Much more difficult to sell a high mileage car with any rust that has gone through the metal. Avoid this early.
Max. Est. cost: $100 dent $200 paint material (spray cans are available for auto chain outlets for both body color specific to your vehicle as well as primer)
- tear in front bumper, depending on the size (lets say up to 5") I'd leave it alone. You could put body colored duct tape on top of it temporarily to prevent it getting larger. As for permanent fix, lotsa DIY bumper repair videos so do it yourself - You Tube.
- would leave the hood alone assuming no rust there.
- 5 years from now, prior to selling your faithfull Fit, give a super interior clean-up and a good polish and you'll have no problem getting good value for it.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-15-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
um, bodywork is an art. Sorry to disagree, but unless you're experienced it will turn out looking worse than before.

If you want to do it cheap, get paintless dent repair and scour the rust spot (or sand) removing as little good paint as possible, and touch-up with some honda touch-up paint. The paintless dent repair guy might be able to do the touch-up work too if he's so inclined. It won't be perfect, but if you paint the whole door yourself, you'll regret it.

The "paintless" dent repair guys also do magic bumper repairs (no it's not magic but they have some cheats they use effectively). Check them out on the internet and see what they can do. Dealers use these guys to recondition cars for sale.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Steve244
....it will turn out looking worse than before.....
The suggestion is an economical way I personally have done myself. Your right in that it may not come out perfect, and may actually look worse however, nothing can be worse than a vehicle with rust through a body panel.
As a given, we know the OP clearly wants to keep driving for the next 5 years. In selling a vehicle with over 200k, buyers will not expect a perfect paint job, however, any rust holes will devalue its worth significantly.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM
IMO they're asking too much for both.

Replacement Bumper covers are less than $100. It will need a qt paint with a qt of clear, and a can of "bulldog" which should also be around $100.

Painting a bumper is pretty easy, but you can also have someone do it for you, and they shouldn't charge you a lot.

As for the door, that's just way too much. That's what MAACO told me it would cost me to paint my GD3 entirely. If you can't find a better deal, I would recommend getting a door from a local junker. I was quoted $280 for a GD3 door just the other day.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Retail on a OEM bumper cover is $207.83 so a couple hundred bucks to paint will get you in the area of your quote.

The door repair sounds really high. I cant see pics if you have posted any since I am on my work pc.
I had a dent fixed in my tailgate with paint and blend for $250.00 from my body shop guy so shop around cause that quote is steep.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM
Got Insurance? just saying

Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
My wife's '09 just had the rear bumper cover replaced by a body shop. OEM part and no dickering on price because somebody else's insurance was paying. The price including taxes was $630. That included a new license plate bracket for the front (just the black plastic part) so deduct $20 or so for that. I'm not saying this is a great price, just going rate as a baseline for you.

She got rear ended and pushed into the car in front, but fortunately is was very minor.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by painterguy
Retail on a OEM bumper cover is $207.83 so a couple hundred bucks to paint will get you in the area of your quote.

The door repair sounds really high. I cant see pics if you have posted any since I am on my work pc.
I had a dent fixed in my tailgate with paint and blend for $250.00 from my body shop guy so shop around cause that quote is steep.
yeah, oem bumper is most likely around $200. paint is usually $300-400.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Hannyah
IMO they're asking too much for both.

Replacement Bumper covers are less than $100. It will need a qt paint with a qt of clear, and a can of "bulldog" which should also be around $100.

Painting a bumper is pretty easy, but you can also have someone do it for you, and they shouldn't charge you a lot.

As for the door, that's just way too much. That's what MAACO told me it would cost me to paint my GD3 entirely. If you can't find a better deal, I would recommend getting a door from a local junker. I was quoted $280 for a GD3 door just the other day.
Just let Maaco do it. Use the highest quality or mid grade paint and thats that. Yes Maaco isnt best but for the money, your car will be repaired and dents gone w/o dumping a load of cash in it.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Dont Worry

since you are planning to "drive it till it drops" just touch-up paint the door to stop the rust. Same color or color matching not needed. Same for bumper, patch job for now, if it gets worse then replace.
5 years is a long time, no telling what will happen. You may even keep it longer. by then the car will be 10+ years old with little resale value. At that time if you crunch the numbers and find fixing those items will increase the resale value OVER the cost to repair, you can do it then.
Was in similar situation, 1992 Honda Civic hatchback, rear ended, half the tailgate wouldn't work. Kept the insurance money, ran it till 10 years/200k miles. Still sold it the same day the ad was posted for $750. Even with the broken tailgate.
Money wise there is no incentive to fix cosmetic items, only your pride.(on a car you plan to drive till it drops)