2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2009 Fit Sport owner - couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM
New 2009 Fit Sport owner - couple questions

Hi all. I just bought a 2009 Fit Sport MT with 88k miles (for $7000). I'm very happy with the purchase and think this car will fit my needs: gas mileage, space, fun to drive, and reliability. I've owned several Hondas in the past (Civic, Accord, CRV) and have been quite satisfied.

Ok, I do have a couple of questions though:

1) When running the A/C, there is an intermittent noise that seems like it has to do with some cycling of the A/C system. Non existent when the A/C is off. Question is: is this normal for this car or is this anything I should be concerned about?

2) Back end sounds a little clunky. Not extremely so, just a bit. I think it needs new rear drum brakes and I will definitely do that. Wondering if people have had to replace the rear shocks as well or if anything else could be contributing to this problem?

This is a great forum and I've spent tons of time reading already!

Thanks in advance for any insights.

- Matt

Old 08-31-2014, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
The A/C putting out cold air all the time? If so I would just ignore it until it quits. There is a relay in there that will quit working in some of the fan positions and has to be replaced.

The clunky is not brakes. Highly doubtful the rears need replacing. Maybe check the front pads. Clunky noise could be a shock. Bounce the car from the back corners and see how much rebound you have and if can reproduce the noise. Could be just an interior panel groaning too. I have one of those and can't track it down short of pulling them out.

Enjoy your 09. I have mine since new and still enjoy it every time I get in it.

bill

Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks Bill. The A/C is working fine so I'll just ignore and wait for the relay to go.

I will check the suspension out. It does sound like it could be a panel or something like that. I will keep poking around to see what I can find.

- Matt

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
Just a quick question do you know if the previous owner did any suspension work?

If they did modify the suspension and replaced it to stock they might have missed a bump stop or washer or something? Does the clunk only happen after going over a bump, even a little bump?

Old 09-01-2014, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
My '10 Sport also makes noise when the a/c is running. Our compressor cycles frequently, and when the compressor cuts in, a fan under the hood runs. I've seen other posts about the issue, and asked my dealer when I first bought the car. It's perfectly normal, don't worry about it.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Just a quick question do you know if the previous owner did any suspension work?

If they did modify the suspension and replaced it to stock they might have missed a bump stop or washer or something? Does the clunk only happen after going over a bump, even a little bump?
Good questions. Ah maybe springs. I have Swifts on mine. So my groan may be from that change. Mine is usually when go slowly over an uneven bump like it is twisting when it groans. Turn the radio up!! Other than that mine is as tight as when it was new.