2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Sprintex Supercharger Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SprintexUSA

I was also getting some boost transition pinging as the weather has gotten warmer. Rescaling the 3bar sensor to 55% and filling in another column on the Mod1 table cured it. The boost gauge was seeing boost before the SMT piggyback was, basically. Adjusting the crossover point where we drop the MAP signal suppression and start adding fuel through the 4th injector fixed that transitional ping.

You guys should be fine. I hamstrung myself on this one while not leaving well enough alone. Rescaling the mod1 table might help those of you with intakes, but I don't have one in my hands to play with. We hate hot-air intakes .
Gary,
I am experiencing this transitional pining also, just since the weather has been improving. Would you mind showing a pic or even sharing your maps with me so I can see how you adjusted for it?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:11 PM
I have no idea on fitment for the 1.3L. I was not involved in the R&D for this kit.

The 150+ blowers won't be available for several months.

I am, however, getting up to speed on little tips and tricks for this chassis. The Mod1 table was difficult to get my head around. It is injecting more fuel through the factory injectors, but I don't quite understand why suppressing the MAP signal does that. I'll just admit it.

Since adding the K&N filter and 2 1/4 catback, I've rescaled the mod1 table by a factor of 1 all over the board. This negated the need to add fuel earlier through the supplementary injector like I was doing. Undoing that extra fuel has improved mileage and drivability across the board.

I was also getting some boost transition pinging as the weather has gotten warmer. Rescaling the 3bar sensor to 55% and filling in another column on the Mod1 table cured it. The boost gauge was seeing boost before the SMT piggyback was, basically. Adjusting the crossover point where we drop the MAP signal suppression and start adding fuel through the 4th injector fixed that transitional ping.

You guys should be fine. I hamstrung myself on this one while not leaving well enough alone. Rescaling the mod1 table might help those of you with intakes, but I don't have one in my hands to play with. We hate hot-air intakes .
Will using a k&n drop in filter affect performance? I don't need a retune for that right?
I have my injen cai just sitting in the garage since the tune you have me with the new piggyback is just for the oem air intake. want to borrow it and send it back later with a new tune? Haha! With the injen cai, you can really hear the whine of the sc!! I really miss that sound but I guess I will have to wait until the plus blowers are ready.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
It's the mod1 table that gets messed with so horribly with aftermarket intakes.

I played with it just out of curiosity just rescaling it and liked what I saw.

The screenshot below shows the mod1 table with the extra column inserted. THAT is for the crossover pinging.

(Ignore the numbers on the bottom. I am playing with with the 3bar's resolution a tad.)

Something else I'm working on are the discharge temperature compensation figures.

See the Engt #1, Airt#1, and Famp#1 at the bottom of the table? You can only see those tables with the unit plugged into a serial cable. You can adjust timing and fuel along a 16 cell, single column table according to temperature. It's similar to a trim function in the stock PCM.

What I've been digging at in there is the wider temperature swing of the discharge air. With an intercooler, the air temp that the engine sees stays consistent after the cooler. Non-intercooled like this, means that there is more charge air heat to compensate for in the tuning.

Something else worthy of note---The engine temp on the SMT stays between 180F and 203F. The fans come on at 180 with the a/c on, but at 203F with the a/c off. Between 180-205 is where I'm looking at taking out a skosh of timing. Adding fuel did not do much.

Please don't take all of this stuff as gospel. These last couple of posts, I'm just thinking out loud. We're getting very busy and I have less time to work on this than I used to. I need warmer weather data. For 4 months, I've been tuning and working on this thing in the cold...kinda made me spoiled.

Last edited by SprintexUSA; 04-22-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:42 AM
hard work is good work, keep it up!

Hopefully I can land a good enough job to actually be serious about getting some more air shoved down my cars throat lol

Old 04-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Still waiting to get mine back

Old 04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by GuruVu
Still waiting to get mine back
Get what back?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Hum... finally got a chance to do something to the Fit.

I pulled the battery and fixed one of the solders (the wires weren't pig-tailed together and a few mm apart, held by the solder).

Thought I had fixed the issues... but nope.

Interestingly, what DID fix the recent issues was... plugging in my laptop. So long as my laptop was plugged in and powered on (doesn't need LetRipp running )... the car doesn't throw a CEL (P0335, P0102, P2K00) and runs "normally." As soon as I unplug the laptop (or power it off), the car goes bonkers. If I'm idling with a low enough RPM when I unplug, the car basically shuts down (I think the car momentarily loses some of the signals for running the engine). If the RPM is higher, the car sputters a moment, but continues running, then pops a CEL and starts with the P0335 code, and eventually P2K00 and P0102 codes. If I unplug when the car is OFF, it takes longer to start and resumes with the CEL and trouble codes too.

So, either the SMT unit is fried... or its not getting enough power, or something.

I did a minor high RPM run later, holding around 5k, the car didn't limp. But I need more testing on that.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:26 AM
DEFINITELY pins in this case. Did you re-pin yet?

The serial cable is providing a solid ground and power connection when connected.

Originally Posted by Goobers
Hum... finally got a chance to do something to the Fit.

I pulled the battery and fixed one of the solders (the wires weren't pig-tailed together and a few mm apart, held by the solder).

Thought I had fixed the issues... but nope.

Interestingly, what DID fix the recent issues was... plugging in my laptop. So long as my laptop was plugged in and powered on (doesn't need LetRipp running )... the car doesn't throw a CEL (P0335, P0102, P2K00) and runs "normally." As soon as I unplug the laptop (or power it off), the car goes bonkers. If I'm idling with a low enough RPM when I unplug, the car basically shuts down (I think the car momentarily loses some of the signals for running the engine). If the RPM is higher, the car sputters a moment, but continues running, then pops a CEL and starts with the P0335 code, and eventually P2K00 and P0102 codes. If I unplug when the car is OFF, it takes longer to start and resumes with the CEL and trouble codes too.

So, either the SMT unit is fried... or its not getting enough power, or something.

I did a minor high RPM run later, holding around 5k, the car didn't limp. But I need more testing on that.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Other than Goobers and his current issue, how are the other Sprintex SC folks doing with their Fit? It's been pretty quiet in this forum for a while until recently. Anybody else having any current issues with the piggyback or harness/pins?

Since I got my replacement piggyback and was pretuned by Gary, the car has been running fine so far. I'm almost afraid to get it retuned again since I've been itching to get a T1R header, b-pipe, and put back my injen CAI to hear that sweet whining sound again. Since there is an internal plus version that is supposedly coming out later this year, I guess I will wait on it. I really wish the boomslang harness wasn't so expensive, otherwise I would go for it and the AEM FIC.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have been enjoying my Fit immensely! With no major issues. I did notice some pinging with the warmer weather, and adjusted the Analog1 and Supplemental injector maps as Gary mentioned above. That seemed to stop it. Currently I am running the PRM intake, WR pipe, and Megan OE-RS axle back. Next is some colder plugs and maybe remove the intake restrictor.

Steven, How did removing the restrictor go for you? Have you re-tuned for it?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
DEFINITELY pins in this case. Did you re-pin yet?

The serial cable is providing a solid ground and power connection when connected.
I haven't re-pinned it yet. In fact, I don't know where the new pins are. I just know my sister received them before I left for Cambodia, but I can't recall if I got them from her or not.

I'll give them a go when I get the chance.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
I have been too busy gardening since the weather has gotten warm here in Tampa FL. Temperature in mid afternoon can reach 90° and my UltraGauge intake temperature in stop and go local traffic can get to be 125° with the A/C turn on. It zaps quite a bit of power. Everything seems to be running fine with the stock intake, gutted restrictor, T1R response header and the Church Automotive map. I am holding out on the re-tune.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:02 PM
I am very glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the kits. You have all done very well with them. Before moving onto what else may be left on the table, good baselines are important.

I like where ours is at for being detuned on 91 pump gas. The intake temp does rise a bit with no intercooler. I have seen a heatsoaked 150F in 100F ambient, dropping to 125F at cruise. The 5th injector is a poor-man's intercooler still dropping operating temps in the unit up to 50F. I take out 1 degree of timing staring at 120F, 2@130, 3@140, etc., but the base mapping is still adding timing. The torque uphill at 80mph on the highway is ridiculous. It does not want or need to drop out of 5th. 93oct does get better mileage and feels better underfoot, but is not perilously required for survival.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
I have a hard time finding 91 octane so I run Shell 93. Mileage is decent at 32 miles per gallon. But since the weather has gotten warmer with the A/C running constantly mileage has dropped to around 30 miles per gallon. Car is going strong at 104K miles with about 7 thousand fun filled miles on the supercharger. Mileage might dropped once the MFactory LSD and 4.928 final drive gear are installed. Both are sitting on my work bench while deciding to REM super finish the final driver gear.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:39 AM
Wow I don't know what's up with my car but I'm only averaging about 27 mpg on the oem airbox. When I had the injen intake along with the sc I was averaging 29-30mpg on the street. I do usually go on street while commuting to work but I only live like 5 miles away. Recently just passed 10k on my car. Probably only got about 3-4k at most on the sc since I had issues in the beginning and car had pretty much been parked at my mechanic's garage for a good month or more until we finally figured out it was a piggyback hardware issue. Gonna get a full check up either this week or next. Will probably change to a k&n drop in filter.

I did notice that the exhaust has a lot more soot coming out than before. Am I running too rich? I'm not driving any harder than I normally drive. The map you preloaded on the replacement was the Church map right Gary?

Put in a good word with sprintex to make us an intercooler. Haha, we can only hope! With the 2015s coming out, the ge8 will be more affordable and I'm hoping more folks will be clamoring for more power on their stock ge8 which should mean more business for you guys!

Last edited by Fuzzyfunk; 05-12-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:09 AM
So let me get this straight

Sprinted SC roughly $3000?
Boomslang harness $500
AEM FIC 6 $600

Pro tune? $ or does it come with a premade tune for stock intake?

What are you guys saying when you talk about gutting out restrictor does it make a big difference in performance and sound?

Side note I want to add mods but wont the ecu revert back to stock after a few days?

Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I am very glad to hear that you guys are enjoying the kits. You have all done very well with them. Before moving onto what else may be left on the table, good baselines are important.

I like where ours is at for being detuned on 91 pump gas. The intake temp does rise a bit with no intercooler. I have seen a heatsoaked 150F in 100F ambient, dropping to 125F at cruise. The 5th injector is a poor-man's intercooler still dropping operating temps in the unit up to 50F. I take out 1 degree of timing staring at 120F, 2@130, 3@140, etc., but the base mapping is still adding timing. The torque uphill at 80mph on the highway is ridiculous. It does not want or need to drop out of 5th. 93oct does get better mileage and feels better underfoot, but is not perilously required for survival.
Gary, You are taking timing out in the ignition side map "+Ing. Air Temp"? Looks like the original tune starts taking 2@172, 3@181, etc. is that correct?
So you have changed this from the base map?

Mitsubeastlee, The SC is a kit that includes a pretuned piggyback controller, the Perfect Power SMT8L. The installation manual from Sprintex's web site is a great tool for understanding this kit.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbs
Gary, You are taking timing out in the ignition side map "+Ing. Air Temp"? Looks like the original tune starts taking 2@172, 3@181, etc. is that correct?
So you have changed this from the base map?
That's exactly it. I start by removing -1deg@125, -2deg@135, -3deg@145. Be sure to include the "-" sign with the number, otherwise you'll be adding timing as it gets hotter (bad!). -3deg seemed to be all it wanted to be happy when it got hot. I tried removing as little timing as possible under just the right conditions.

If you are on 91 octane, this is important. With 93 octane or better, this becomes less of a perilous issue. On E85, it would become virtually a non-issue but no one has gone that route yet.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
"Hold ups with out sourced wiring is the issue. We have engineered a "plug and play" set up. This has caused the delay. This will make the install simple but unfortunately takes time sourcing the connectors. Sorry for the delay guys."

Saw this on Facebook today. Is this true Gary? This sure would make this kit a lot easier to install.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:48 AM
they should be able to make it plug and play, boomslang said the same thing about their harness. 3 of the 4 plugs are easy to get, the 4th is harder.

except boomslang is charging $600 for their goddamn harness, screw that price

Quick Reply: Sprintex Supercharger Install