3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Adjusting seat lean angle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by thegoldstandard
After the first 80mi. round trip drive in my new FIT I noticed that my thigh muscles were aching a little from the seat position. I immediately knew what would cure the problem as cars with power seats have an adjustment to support your legs.

My solution was to machine some 1.5" spacers out of UHMW plastic and install with longer bolts. (only two spacers are required, I made extras for the passenger side but I'm not going to use them)

I used flanged bolts with the smaller JIS head so the original plastic covers would still fit

I machined the spacers with a recessed base so it would cover the carpet edge

installed!

Side view, you can see that the seat is angled back, It totally supports my thighs now! huge improvement...

This might not be an issue for shorter people but if you are around 6' or taller this will give you greater leg room and less fatigue while driving. After this mod. I actually needed to move my seat forward a click instead of being adjusted all the way back! next up... I'm going to tackle the armrest!
Did it make the seat seem like it was farther back? Did you place 4 down per seat? I'll get my dad to make some of these for me.

Last edited by Liljpw16; 08-21-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by thegoldstandard
I do them for $72/shipped for both front seats, includes bolts and washers.
1.5" spacer set for the drivers seat and 1" spacer set for the passengers seat.

please note: these spacers are not a direct "bolt on" due to the seat being angled the bolt spacing changes slightly requiring you to file/elongate the
holes in the seat or you can gently bend the seat bracket to compensate, It's a slight modification but it has to be done. I also require that all buyers email me a statement that they understand that these are non-factory approved parts and that they assume all liability for the parts and installation.
Can I just get a set for the drivers seat?

Old 09-28-2015, 09:10 PM
Are you still making these I would like to order two sets

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
PM'd, I have a couple sets available right now, when they're gone it will likely be the end of production for me.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Seeing if your still in business or all done with the production line.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Just a quick note to encourage people to use high-strength steel bolts. You don't want those things snapping in a crash.

This is not a high risk modification but you probably are going to give Honda a liability out if you get injured in any type of crash

Old 05-07-2016, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
does anyone know the size of these bolts? looking to do the same. not sure what size hole i need

Old 05-07-2016, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
does anyone know the size of these bolts? looking to do the same. not sure what size hole i need
I documented my 'raise the seat' modification here with parts readily available on Amazon.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info. i ended up doing the same thing and walking into home depot to use the sample display to test the threading to find what i needed

for the rears, did you have to slot them as well? you mentioned only slotting the fronts. i am kind of worried that the rear will not screw in tight enough with the spacer added

i bought a bolt that is effectively 1.5" longer than stock which i think is a bit aggressive. i think u have the right idea with a milder spacer

Old 05-08-2016, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
exchanged my bolts for 50mm long bolts instead (same as yours). wow, such a huge difference. the seats are infinitely more comfortable now

for people looking to do this, get someone to help you lift the rear of the seat while you tighten down the fronts. will be easier.

tips:
-the rear bolt covers are tricky. what you need to do is grab the left and right portions of the cover, fit your fingers underneath. you should feel a little hook/nub thing grabbing on. grab onto both sides, then pry down and outwards (imagine your hands in front of you like ur holding a vase. now turn your thumbs inwards. this is the motion). after u feel it unhinge, then it should pull off easily. i got frustrated and was prying kind of hard and cracked one side. they are fragile

-you will need to slightly oblong the holes in front so that the bolt can screw all the way in. otherwise it is impossible (or near impossible) to get the bolt to line up and screw in

Old 05-10-2016, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
you will need to slightly oblong the holes in front
Exactly... Otherwise it won't go. I did not do anything to the rear holes.
Glad you also found the increased comfort too!

Old 05-21-2016, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
Impressions:
So one of my major gripes with the stock seat is that the seating position is very uncomfortable for me--i am 5'7". In order for my legs to be at a comfortable length, i always felt like my arms were too far away from the steering wheel and too far for the shift knob (manual).

With the spacers in, i can move the seat up alot and my arms are at a happy distance now. I no longer have to lean forward when shifting into 5th gear or sit awkwardly. As already mentioned, the slight lean definitely keeps you in the seat much better. In addition, the new position/angle increases lower back lumbar support. SO MUCH more comfortable on regular/longer drives. Also, it feels WONDERFUL to have under-thigh support again. I wish i did this mod immediately after getting the car.

I used 50mm length bolts from Home depot, 2 washers per bolt, and since they didnt have bolts that threaded all the way up--there is a gap at the top, i used 2 american sized nuts (which are slightly larger and can slip over the solid bolt part), and wrapped the spacers with hot water heating pipe insulation. Total cost = 17$ roughly

Old 09-19-2016, 09:49 AM
performed this mod over the weekend using washers and bolts on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i opted for 60mm bolts and i'm using 13 washers (2.5mm thick) on each side. front seat mounts end up lifted about an inch and a quarter from the stock position.

so far, so good. much more comfortable now.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Seat pad for lean angle

I am 6'5" tall and needed the same support. I bought an automotive seat cushion from Costco for about $20. I leave a small gap between the pad and the seat back to achieve the tilt. Works great on my six hour drives. It does move around which can be a PITA. Personally I would be reluctant to modify the seat mount in case of an accident. Forces generated in a decent collision are horrific and unpredictable. But if it ever happens and you are injured good luck with the Insurance if you modified the safety equipment. My $.02.