3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How to Remove Door Armrest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
How to Remove Door Armrest?

Does anyone know how to remove the door armrests? On the driver's door it is the horizontal piece behind the window control panel. I'm thinking about covering the door armrest with leather.

I've seen videos on how to remove the door panel. Has anyone gone a little further and removed/repaired the arm rest?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
I'd like to do that too. I saw that there is a leather covered option on the Japanese fit. I'd like to see how to order that.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
The door armrest is a hard piece of plastic and uncomfortable. I'd like to give it a little padding and then cover it with some cow. It looks like it just snaps to the moulded door, but there's a clip in there somewhere. I can't find any info of how to remove the door armrest for other Hondas.

2015 Honda Fit, Door Armrest, #8 and 12

Part #15 is a Clip, Snap Fitting (Po)(Natural).What does that mean, and how does it keep the armrest on the moulded part of the door panel? Does the diagram show that the clip is on the forward part (nearest to the windshield) of the door armrest? I don't yet have plastic trim tools yet, and I'm unfamiliar with removing plastic parts.

CLIP, SNAP FITTING (PO)(NATURAL)

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 11-08-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I'd like to do that too. I saw that there is a leather covered option on the Japanese fit. I'd like to see how to order that.
Here is what it looks like

ƒtƒBƒbƒgƒAƒNƒZƒTƒŠ[”Ì”„

part number 08U88-T5A-010A

You can order it from here...
ƒAƒNƒZƒTƒŠ[’•¶ƒtƒH[ƒ€

Unfortunately, it looks like it's only set up to be delivered to a Japanese address. You might be able to find a place that will order it from honda and then deliver it to you. Maybe the honda dealer near you can do that.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
I just want to know how to remove my door arm rests. I can sew and glue the leather to the armrest once I have it off. Even if I bought the Japanese one for 9,180 yen/$100CAD, I'd still need to remove mine and install the one from Japan.
Originally Posted by Belch
Here is what it looks like

ƒtƒBƒbƒgƒAƒNƒZƒTƒŠ[”Ì”„
Nice stuff...

Last edited by TorontoBoy; 11-13-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Does anyone know how to remove the door armrests? On the driver's door it is the horizontal piece behind the window control panel. I'm thinking about covering the door armrest with leather.

I've seen videos on how to remove the door panel. Has anyone gone a little further and removed/repaired the arm rest?
I like your idea and today I was thinking the same. The other day I enter into a kia forte and it feels so good to have a padding. It is pretty easy to do but I was thinking to glue it or something. I was just thinking about the material to use. Something hard and soft for support and cover it with leather. I dunno.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
I was thinking of a thin but dense type of foam as the cushion layer. It would need to be a bit stiff so that you have some resistance. You also want it to bounce back very quickly. This layer would need to be shaped, then glued down to the arm rest. The leather layer would go on top. I've not looked at the arm rest to see if you really need to sew anything, maybe just stretch the leather. Then glue.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
I created my own padded insert which was fast, easy and cheap. May not look great nor OEM, but it has served me well and is easily removed back to stock by pulling it up and off in one second.

Name:  yFulX1k.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  142.2 KB

The camera makes the colors look off, but in reality, it is a pretty close match the the black on the armrest and blends in nicely.

The raised surface also has the advantage of allowing my elbows to sit a bit higher and between that and the custom center armrest, I'm able to grab the wheel at 9 and 3 and have both elbows supported.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
I do recall your center console. Thanks for bringing up your armrest idea. How did you stick it down? Double sided tape?

tbFit's custom center console

Old 11-14-2015, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
I do recall your center console. Thanks for bringing up your armrest idea. How did you stick it down? Double sided tape?

tbFit's custom center console
So many guys here are son handyman I am so bad with my arms I never clean my macbook. Everytime I clean i I broke something.

Anyways, is that a factory wheel or what did you do? Looks like leather? Am i correct?

Old 11-14-2015, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like a wheelskin leather wrap. I did mine too and it's a great upgrade that isn't too expensive. I found the plastic steering wheel to slick and the leather gives it a nice texture. You can see mine if you click my signature picture.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:56 PM
5 Year Member
Factory leather steering wheel, baseball stitch

15BlkPrl's OEM Leather Steering Wheel

15BlkPrl's OEM Leather Steering Wheel

Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
The door armrest is hot glued to a piece of hard plastic that has a 90 degree bend that aligns and goes down 3/8" into the gap between the fabric and the door handle. That wedge holds it in place.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KikeDiaz
...Anyways, is that a factory wheel or what did you do? Looks like leather? Am i correct?
Yes, the wheelskins leather one. More pics linked via my signature 'my mods' if you want more details. Yes, very well worth it.