3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Thank you Honda for still offering the spare

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 AM
Thank you Honda for still offering the spare

Today's Autoblog featured an article about how 1/3 of today's cars don't offer a spare tire: By eliminating spare tires, automakers leave motorists stranded

The main reason behind this is weight savings to achieve higher fuel numbers, increased use of cell phones for roadside service, fewer people who know how to change a tire, and to be honest, cost savings

This was also one of the reasons I bought my Fit. I did cross-shop this car with the Accent, and very briefly, the Kia Rio. Neither have a spare tire. I really liked the Accent, but couldn't get around this detail. It did cost Hyundai a sale.

I do drive occasionally in the Sierra Nevadas to see my parents and there are areas without cell phone reception for 30-40 miles. The roads in these areas aren't, let's just say, the most well maintained either. Not having a spare can be the difference between continuing the trip safely versus being stranded for a few hours and a long walk.

The spare on the Fit, and the Sonic and Mirage, kept them on my shopping list. I applaud Honda for keeping the spare tire despite continued pressure to raise the fuel economy of its fleet.

Did any of you factor in that the Fit is one of the last remaining subcompacts with a spare as part of your buying decision?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
I did cross-shop this car with the Accent, and very briefly, the Kia Rio. Neither have a spare tire. I really liked the Accent, but couldn't get around this detail. It did cost Hyundai a sale.

Did any of you factor in that the Fit is one of the last remaining subcompacts with a spare as part of your buying decision?
nope. not having a spare is not the best reason to completely dismiss a car.
i had the Kia Rio previously, and just bought the spare kit for $140. When I traded the Rio in, i removed the spare kit and sold it on Craigslist. Sold it to a Accent owner actually...

Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
The spare tire was no part of the purchase equation for me.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
A spare was also important for me. I want to be able to make it home, regardless of where I am.

We had taken off the Accent and Rio from our potential list because they have a tiny rear view window and no backup camera. These were important safety features for us. The Accent drives very well, has sufficient power, is frugal on gas, and available in manual.

The Nissan Versa Note and Micra also have a spare tire.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
My wife's Elantra doesn't have a spare. It wasn't a deal breaker but definitely a strike against it.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
Where I live, there are vast areas without cell coverage, and even if there was, nobody's going to come and tow you in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night.

Out here in the country, you're expected to be able to take care of yourself.

The spare tire may not have been a deal breaker, but I won't drive without one.

Last edited by Uncle Gary; 11-13-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:45 AM
I did not realize so many cars were deleting their spare tires!

No the spare tire was not the make or break factor for me, but had I known that a model I was interested in did not have one, I would likely walk away. We moved away from the accent as the Fit was just better all around. Minus the 10 year 100,000 warranty from Hyundai. But had the Fit not come with a spare, I would have started looking at another car.

If the car still had the spot to place a spare, and just removed it to save money, I would likely curse the brand, and if it was still the best car for the money, purchase a kit after market. But I would not want a spare tire rolling around in the back hatch area. We had to do that with an old truck of mine when we used the spare and broke the mechanism holding it. That tire was always in the way when I needed to use the bed, and I loathed it out in the open, even when I chained it in.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Not having a spare tire has NEVER been a deal breaker for me when purchasing a new vehicle.

I can patch up a hole on a tire with plug or sticky string FASTER than replacing with a spare tire (but total blow out is a different story & less common). It's easier than you think it is - been doing this for about 20 years now. I carry a flat tire kit (plug, pump, etc.) if there is no spare tire on the car.

Cost saving is the real reason for auto manufacturers deleting a spare tire. All the other reasons they are saying is

Old 11-13-2015, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Last time a tire failed it was a blow-out on a gravel road, in the mountains and miles away from cell service. I suppose I could have driven on the tire carcass to the main road, but it might have screwed-up my rim. I would hesitate to buy a car without a spare, but all things considered, I only use it once per decade.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
I had no idea cars come without spare tires these days. That's nuts!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
I seem to average a flat tire about once every 1-1 1/2 years. Often as not, it's a sidewall or edge of tread puncture. Plugging such a puncture is "iffy" at best. That's assuming I can FIND the puncture in the dark, in the rain, on the side of the road or a dark parking lot.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
When I looked at Hyundai and Kia I found you can buy the spare tire kit for the Accent or the Rio for about $300 to replace that can of fix a flat. Kit has mini spare, jack and tire tool. What a deal !

Old 11-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Thats crazy cars are not coming with donut tires. tire inflator kits only solve a limited set of problems. At the very minimum a donut tire, and portable air pump. I see so many people forget to check the air pressure of the spare, but are diligent on the 4 tires. A flat donut tire is as bad as not having a donut at all.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
so many people forget to check the air pressure of the spare...
Unfortunately the valve stem on the Fit's spare aims down. Anyone know of a good flexible valve stem extender? I'm considering buying this one:

amazon.com amazon.com

Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Well the irony here is that it's Acura's line, not Honda, that mostly don't include spares for "cost saving reasons" . Yea, you got that right. Pay the premium for an Acura and you are literally handed down less. Another reason Acura going down the tubes.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gorilla
Well the irony here is that it's Acura's line, not Honda, that mostly don't include spares for "cost saving reasons" . Yea, you got that right. Pay the premium for an Acura and you are literally handed down less. Another reason Acura going down the tubes.
Acura is selling SUV's faster than p much all premium brands. They wipe away your tears with profit.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Acura is selling SUV's faster than p much all premium brands. They wipe away your tears with profit.
You can't sustain an entire brand and dealership network with just SUV sales. Thought the lesson was learned with GM a decade ago. Also, the MDX isn't a good value compared to the new Pilot. Just as the TLX is laughable against the new Accord, and the ILX is already miserably dated just one year out with the new Civic lineup. It's a dying brand that simply doesn't know its identity, doesn't know what to market or who to market to, and its brand name has become tarnished over the years.

Last edited by Gorilla; 11-13-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't used the spare in my Fit yet, but in my old car ('99 CRV), I can think of at least four times off the top of my head where I used the spare. It's a hell of a lot more convenient than a tow. And what if it happens late at night and the damage is severe enough that you can't use a repair kit? You're stuck until a tire shops open.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
having a spare was not a big part of my buying decision, but i do agree it is a valuable feature to have during an emergency.

make sure to check the psi before winter. needs to be at 60psi. often times i find people pressure up their 4 tires, but forget to check the spare.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gorilla
You can't sustain an entire brand and dealership network with just SUV sales. Thought the lesson was learned with GM a decade ago. Also, the MDX isn't a good value compared to the new Pilot. Just as the TLX is laughable against the new Accord, and the ILX is already miserably dated just one year out with the new Civic lineup. It's a dying brand that simply doesn't know its identity, doesn't know what to market or who to market to, and its brand name has become tarnished over the years.
You're right, SUV's don't carry brands. That's why everyone is clamoring to build an SUV on every platform they can find.

If the only goal was to build a good car, you think the HRV, CRV, Pilot, or ANY SUV would exist?

Quick Reply: Thank you Honda for still offering the spare