3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is the steering wheel suppose to lock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Is the steering wheel suppose to lock?

Hi all.

I have the 2015 EX model. The steering wheel can be turned even with the ignition off/key off.

Is this normal?

I think I read that on some Hondas the steering wheel locks only for models with a start and stop button (no key).

Thoughts?

Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 AM
The EX is push button start, no key. You should hear a stepper motor moving the lock pin into the column when shutdown and backing it out when starting up.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
they all lock. it's a anti theft feature.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
So there is an issue with my new 2015 Fit then?

With the key removed/(Car off) I can move the wheel left or right freely....perhaps I'm not moving it far enough to either side to engage the lock?

Can someone please help confirm...I don't want to drive all the way out to the dealer unless I have to.

Thanks

Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
With the car and pushbutton OFF, try turning the steering wheel one complete turn.

Thinking it may only lock the steering wheel when it reaches one particular position, like it would with a regular keyed lock.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'd take it in, if its not locking there is something jacked up in the column stopping it from catching. It would likely be a warrantee issue..

Old 11-23-2015, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hi all:

Sorry, I don't have the FIT with the push button on/off. I think I meant to say the DX version.

Anyhow, I don't know if I can actually damage the steering or some other part by attempting to turn the wheel while the car is off. As you might know it takes some force to turn the wheel with power steering off.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
the wheel should lock if its in the straight ahead level position (Or very close to that.. )

Old 11-23-2015, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
Blah....I guess I'm off to the dealer. I don't think it's ever locked since I picked it up this summer. Never paid attention to it really until today.

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
the wheel should lock if its in the straight ahead level position (Or very close to that.. )

Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitfulKenny
Hi all:

Sorry, I don't have the FIT with the push button on/off. I think I meant to say the DX version.

Anyhow, I don't know if I can actually damage the steering or some other part by attempting to turn the wheel while the car is off. As you might know it takes some force to turn the wheel with power steering off.
DX? It should lock in some position after the key is removed and you turn the wheel.

You can't damage it. Grab the wheel with both hands and turn that sucker.

However, if it does lock, you may have to turn the wheel just as hard in order to take the pressure off the lock mechanism so the key can turn to unlock again..

Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
Unlike some other cars that may lock the steering wheel in whatever position it was left in, these steering columns are built with only one single slot in the upper column steering shaft for the column lock pawl to fit into.
The shaft can be assembled into the column in any position, so a steering wheel might lock at 8:00 position, 3:00 position, 6:00, anywhere....but it will only lock in a single position.
It's actually quite rare to see any Honda that locks with the wheel in the straight ahead position.

HTH

Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sure the steering will lock if you turn it enough (with the key out)

Good info from ezone.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Hey all.

Thank you for all the feedback. So there is nothing wrong with my steering wheel lock mechanism. As some of you suggested, moving the wheel to a position will lock the wheel. I am used to cars were you just turn off the ignition and the steering wheel locks, which you can only move a bit to the left and right but has a hard stop.

Thanks again!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Funny how I never thought about it on my '09 Sport so I went out to the garage to test it.

For a second, I thought the wheel wasn't going to lock either but the wheel has to be turned more than expected for it to lock.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
I tested this tonight while waiting for a parking spot. My 2015 EX doesn't lock, even with a full 360º turns in both directions. The wheel will stop, but not lock into place.

Anyone else? Hmm, does this need to be taken in?

Old 12-02-2015, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by chapito
I tested this tonight while waiting for a parking spot. My 2015 EX doesn't lock, even with a full 360º turns in both directions. The wheel will stop, but not lock into place.

Anyone else? Hmm, does this need to be taken in?
If your car was on, then no, it does not need to be taken in because the wheel is supposed to turn in full circles. If your car was off, then yes, it does need to be taken in because, as previously-stated in this thread, the wheel should eventually lock to prohibit someone without a key breaking in and being able to turn the wheel.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DWils
If your car was on, then no...
of course the car was off

Cultural note: In NYC (Im sure elsewhere too) if you're looking for a parking spot on a block, many people wait double-parked with the car off for a spot to open up. Hence the "waiting for a parking spot" comment.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
The EX is push button start, no key. You should hear a stepper motor moving the lock pin into the column when shutdown and backing it out when starting up.
I think that stepper motor is LOUD, kind of annoying.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
wow, I gotta taking mine in. the only sound i hear after pressing is a couple of relays then the starter. (Before starting, I cranked the wheel 360º in both directions with no lock.)

good grief

Old 12-03-2015, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Looking in the parts catalog......

A 2015 Fit with pushbutton start and MANUAL TRANS gets the electric steering column lock.

A 2015 Fit with pushbutton start and CVT trans has no column lock.

And the cars that use a conventional ignition key have a mechanical column lock.

Hope that clears it up.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
ezone thanks!
yes that puts my mind at ease (Im a 2015 EX CVT)

Quick Reply: Is the steering wheel suppose to lock?