3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Think cabin carpet...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 PM
Think cabin carpet...

My 2015 ex at 8k. Already has driver side carpet wear.

Name:  49A3E349-046D-4FD4-A949-C5112BB750E1_zpszg95zxvi.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  349.8 KB

Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
dont have mats?

Old 08-14-2016, 03:14 AM
Of course. Not the point.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
What mats do you use? I would have thought that proper Husky or Weathertech mats would prevent this, as they are thicker and should distribute the pressure over a larger area of the carpet.

That being said, this is a wear issue. How to fix it? You could pull up the carpet and try a repair from the reverse side. I don't recall anyone doing this, but it is possible. Pull the carpet, find a carpet area that is hidden (use for replacement material), use carpet tape, do the repair.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a set of the WeatherTech "laser measured floor liners" or whatever they call them ......they cover pretty much anything your foot might ever possibly touch....not "luxurious," but work really well for the intended use in this car, covering the chintzy-arsed so-called "carpeting" .... selling cars with no mats is one of the many great dealer scams, along with applying cheap-arsed pinstriping....peeled mine off the other day, car looks so much better.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
The carpet in my '09 Fit was the most horribly cheap material imaginable. I didn't think they could obtain a worse material, but the '15 Fit proved me wrong. The carpeting is just nasty and cheap beyond belief.

Even the included carpet mats on the Fit EX are nothing to brag about-cheap and ill fitting. I bought Weathertech floor liners for mine and run them year 'round.

Even my two Dodge Neons had nice, high quality cut pile carpeting and standard carpet mats.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I didn't think they could obtain a worse material, but the '15 Fit proved me wrong. The carpeting is just nasty and cheap beyond belief.
Indeed....and it hangs on to dog hair with a death-like grip.....'tis one of the reasons I love the WT liners. I figured, yeah, they're a lil pricy, but the "carpet" seems to grip dog hairs beyond a vacuum's capability to remove 'em, and lint rollers/strapping tape/duct tape don't work much better getting them off.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
You could pull up the carpet and try a repair from the reverse side. I don't recall anyone doing this, but it is possible. Pull the carpet, find a carpet area that is hidden (use for replacement material), use carpet tape, do the repair.
Our '07 Fit has similar wear areas (despite high-quality mats since new). The carpet seems to be no thicker than felt.

The carpet under the Magic Seats (where it covers the rear axle bulge) looks like a good candidate for 'donor' carpet.

I was going to glue the patches down with some leftover 3M headliner adhesive I have. I don't think that carpet tape (or anything else intended for indoor use) will hold up to the temperature extremes found inside an automobile.

Now, I just need one of these:

Last edited by Carbuff2; 08-14-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:08 PM
If only rubber floors came back.

Really hard to get except on taxi and police models.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:05 PM
I currently have the floor mats that came with the car. I removed the driver side because it got some gum on it. Plan to get the rubber mats soon.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Put the donor carpet section behind the carpet, cut through both, larger than the size of the tear. Use some backing tape to keep it together. Whip stitch the edges of the new and old together. When the car gets hot the glue will melt but the stitching will keep it together. When the car cools down the glue will stick. Or so the theory goes.

Alternately you could back it with some thick cloth and using a sewing machine stitch both patch edges to the backing cloth. While you will not see the cloth you will see the stitching.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't take the trouble to repair carpet

Wear is so localized that your heel will go right through that spot again. Honda carpet mats only postpone the problem. My heel went through to the grey backing in 7k miles -- just in the one spot .5x3inches. I do prefer that soft backing to the stabby little nubs on the back of most mats, but now I have to choose which solution, none cheap, to replace with, since I prefer the look of carpeting over BeaterTech mats. https://www.flickr.com/gp/farsightful/68g1Sk

Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
What the heck, are you guys wearing stilleto heels, or something ???

Old 08-15-2016, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pagetuner
Wear is so localized that your heel will go right through that spot again. Honda carpet mats only postpone the problem. My heel went through to the grey backing in 7k miles -- just in the one spot .5x3inches. I do prefer that soft backing to the stabby little nubs on the back of most mats, but now I have to choose which solution, none cheap, to replace with, since I prefer the look of carpeting over BeaterTech mats. https://www.flickr.com/gp/farsightful/68g1Sk
I too prefer the look/feel of carpeting, however, it has to be REAL carpeting, not the "roofing felt" that Honda calls "carpet". I'd rather have full rubber mats than what Honda is using.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
use some real floor mats. not honda's fault.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Heel/toe action. Especially in turns.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
use some real floor mats. not honda's fault.
1. That's cold.
2. That's totally true.

I noticed the "carpet" was made of a cheap material also, but I noticed one thing with the Fit that NO other car I've owned had: The stock floor mats cover almost the entire floor.

The cabin lining isn't intended to take much abuse (that's why we have mats) and, I'm guessing, is supposed to be easy to clean...which it is.

The carpet in the cargo area/on the back of the seats is much thicker and more resilient.

But I do have to wonder: If I, a 5'9" 255lb man, haven't worn through my mats/liner yet (yes there are wear spots) what are you guys doing to cause that to happen?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KByers12

The cabin lining isn't intended to take much abuse (that's why we have mats) and, I'm guessing, is supposed to be easy to clean...which it is.
....which it isn't. I take it that you don't have dogs, or at least dogs that shed? The factory "carpeting" felt is like a supermagnet for dog hairs, at least from my dogs .....one trip in the car with dogs equals lots of hair that refuses to let go of the "carpet", and I don't even know how it gets in some places.....never had a dog hair problem of this magnitude

Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
....which it isn't. I take it that you don't have dogs, or at least dogs that shed? The factory "carpeting" felt is like a supermagnet for dog hairs, at least from my dogs .....one trip in the car with dogs equals lots of hair that refuses to let go of the "carpet", and I don't even know how it gets in some places.....never had a dog hair problem of this magnitude
No, I don't have dogs. I have cats and a wife who shed like crazy and their hair ends up all over the car, but I'm able to easily vacuum that up off the liner. The mats, not so much. It's likely due to the wiriness of the dog hair.

And when I say easy to clean, I mean that I've lifted dried coffee, orange juice, and mud or of the liner with extreme ease.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
We took one look at our 2016 Fit carpets and almost immediately ordered a full set of Weathertech mats. Not cheap but we live in a snowy state and a couple of hundred dollars amortized over the lifetime of a car is worth it. Some people have complained about passenger side mats slipping but I wonder if adhesive velcro stuck to the bottom of the mat would help?

We have the Weathertec back storage mat but if I were to have a prolonged stretch of using the car in wagon mode I would purchase a small roll of indoor/outdoor carpeting for $15 and cut it to fit the back area.

Quick Reply: Think cabin carpet...