3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 EX MT keeps moving without stepping on the gas pedal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:37 AM
2015 EX MT keeps moving without stepping on the gas pedal.

Last night while looking for parking, I was cruising on 3rd gear (20-30 mph) i noticed that the car was still moving (like an automatic) even if i let go of the pedal. I put it on neutral and geared back to 3rd and it did the same thing. I tried to lift the gas pedal with my toes maybe it was just stuck but it was not. Tried it for the 3rd time and it did the same thing (put it on 3rd gear and let go), this time i stepped on the break and the engine died (normal) . Anyone here, experience this?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Wow, your car sounds kind of magical.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oiric2006@gmail.com
. Anyone here, experience this?
Not me, not yet... <edit> ....but then again, have never tried it, either

Last edited by Fuelish; 09-10-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:27 PM
i don't see what's not normal here ?

Old 09-09-2016, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'll try it.

Method: So get the car rolling to 20-30mph/40kph, clutch, put the car in neutral, no gas, coast, then clutch, put car into 3d, release clutch, no gas, and the car should go by itself?

Posit: I would posit that the car should engine brake.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:23 PM
I tried it again this morning, even in 1st and 2nd gear when I let go of the gas pedal the car would keep on running at 5 mpH the engine would not die unless of course I put on the break.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Been watching this thread and it has me perplexed.

A car with a manual transmission has a direct mechanical connection between the engine and wheels, through the transmission and clutch. The clutch can either be engaged (foot off the pedal) or released/disengaged (foot pressing the clutch pedal to the floor). When released, the engine is disengaged from the transmission, and no drive wheel rotation occurs. The only exception would be when the clutch is out of adjustment and is not fully releasing when the pedal is depressed, thus still transmitting some rotation through to the transmission.

Additionally, the transmission itself has a "neutral" gear position, which disengages the output shafts of the transmission from the input shaft connected to the clutch/flywheel. In any other "gear" besides neutral, the transmission is simply going to "transmit" the rotation of the clutch (if engaged) right through to the wheels, albeit at different gear ratios, depending on which one is selected (six forward, one reverse in the Fit GK).

As I read the OP's comments on this, it sounds like they have the clutch engaged (foot off the clutch pedal) and the car in gear, which means if the engine is running, it's absolutely going to be making the drive wheels rotate. It's acting exactly as it's supposed to, in other words!

In this scenario, if your foot is completely off the throttle (gas pedal), the engine will be barely ticking over, so the car's not going to go very fast, and if you apply the brakes, you are stopping the drive wheel rotation, which in turn stops the engine rotation (kills the engine) because they are all mechanically connected together.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is if the car wants to move with the clutch released (clutch pedal pressed to the floor), as that would indicate the clutch is out of adjustment and cannot be fully disengaged from the engine - a potentially crash-inducing scenario.

es

Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 PM
every car and truck I have ever owned has moved when in gear when your foot was not on the gas pedal

Old 09-10-2016, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bladhmadh
every car and truck I have ever owned has moved when in gear when your foot was not on the gas pedal
Me too. Some ran rougher than others though. My '82 Dodge Colt (a rebranded Mitsubishi) jerked around a lot in second on idle but the '02 GTI was so sweet, no shake at all. The Fit mostly runs somewhere in between those extremes.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:49 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
Been watching this thread and it has me perplexed.

A car with a manual transmission has a direct mechanical connection between the engine and wheels, through the transmission and clutch. The clutch can either be engaged (foot off the pedal) or released/disengaged (foot pressing the clutch pedal to the floor). When released, the engine is disengaged from the transmission, and no drive wheel rotation occurs. The only exception would be when the clutch is out of adjustment and is not fully releasing when the pedal is depressed, thus still transmitting some rotation through to the transmission.

Additionally, the transmission itself has a "neutral" gear position, which disengages the output shafts of the transmission from the input shaft connected to the clutch/flywheel. In any other "gear" besides neutral, the transmission is simply going to "transmit" the rotation of the clutch (if engaged) right through to the wheels, albeit at different gear ratios, depending on which one is selected (six forward, one reverse in the Fit GK).

As I read the OP's comments on this, it sounds like they have the clutch engaged (foot off the clutch pedal) and the car in gear, which means if the engine is running, it's absolutely going to be making the drive wheels rotate. It's acting exactly as it's supposed to, in other words!

In this scenario, if your foot is completely off the throttle (gas pedal), the engine will be barely ticking over, so the car's not going to go very fast, and if you apply the brakes, you are stopping the drive wheel rotation, which in turn stops the engine rotation (kills the engine) because they are all mechanically connected together.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is if the car wants to move with the clutch released (clutch pedal pressed to the floor), as that would indicate the clutch is out of adjustment and cannot be fully disengaged from the engine - a potentially crash-inducing scenario.

es
Last paragraph is scary. I would check tomorrow if the transmission is fully disengaged when the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor. I haven't noticed anything like it though (clutch not fully disengaging).I was thinking that the injectors was still feeding fuel even when the gas pedal is not pressed. I'll try to make a video.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Last night while looking for parking, I was cruising on 3rd gear (20-30 mph) i noticed that the car was still moving (like an automatic) even if i let go of the pedal. I put it on neutral and geared back to 3rd and it did the same thing. I tried to lift the gas pedal with my toes maybe it was just stuck but it was not. Tried it for the 3rd time and it did the same thing (put it on 3rd gear and let go), this time i stepped on the break and the engine died (normal) . Anyone here, experience this?
It's supposed to be like that. You clutch out the engine and drive train are connected. But use 2nd gear next time.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by kenchan
It's supposed to be like that. You clutch out the engine and drive train are connected. But use 2nd gear next time.
So it's completely normal? Nothing to worry about like adjustment in the transmission or maybe my gas pedal is not completely released?

Old 09-10-2016, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
what if you down shifted? just like when your in first gear or reverse it takes no gas for it to move the car... but it is odd that you get that same feeling in 3rd gear, that is way too high of a speed and a gear for it to still give that effect.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
So it's completely normal? Nothing to worry about like adjustment in the transmission or maybe my gas pedal is not completely released?
if you're in gear ur car will creep. i dont get why you think it wont creep??

Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 AM
It's almost certainly not your gas pedal being stuck. The gas pedal doesn't even connect directly to the throttle on the Fit (it's an electronic system). I think the Fit has a system where, if the gas and brake are pressed simultaneously, the brake takes precedence (i.e. the computer closes the throttle despite the pedal position).

It may be that your Fit is idling high for some reason, possibly a perfectly normal reason. (What RPM is it idling at?) However, the general behavior you describe is perfectly normal and expected: when the engine is idling and the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in gear, the car will of necessity be moving. If the clutch is disengaged, the car is effectively in neutral and will roll if it's on a slope and the brakes are not applied, or if it has momentum already.

There are times when it can be mighty handy to creep along in first or second gear without touching the gas pedal. On some vehicles, mainly trucks, the low gears are very low indeed and you can creep at miniscule speeds over rather steep terrain without stalling. I recall that being handy when I worked a couple summers at a horse boarding place doing haying. We'd occasionally have to clean out the hayloft, and would put the old loose hay in a truck and drive it out to a field and put it in a row to be reraked and rebaled rather than having it go to waste. The truck we sometimes used had an extra-low granny gear below first, and putting it in low gear in four wheel drive low would enable it to idle along at a speed where someone in the back could fork out the hay in a fairly neat row. The alternative would have been to repeatedly pull forward a bit and stop, which gets old quickly.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
There are times when it can be mighty handy to creep along in first or second gear without touching the gas pedal. On some vehicles, mainly trucks, the low gears are very low indeed and you can creep at miniscule speeds over rather steep terrain without stalling. I recall that being handy when I worked a couple summers at a horse boarding place doing haying. We'd occasionally have to clean out the hayloft, and would put the old loose hay in a truck and drive it out to a field and put it in a row to be reraked and rebaled rather than having it go to waste. The truck we sometimes used had an extra-low granny gear below first, and putting it in low gear in four wheel drive low would enable it to idle along at a speed where someone in the back could fork out the hay in a fairly neat row. The alternative would have been to repeatedly pull forward a bit and stop, which gets old quickly.
It's good for heavy traffic too and that's why truckers sometimes leave big gaps in the front, they're just idling along and letting the cars do the stop and go stuff in front of them.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
I'll try it.

Method: So get the car rolling to 20-30mph/40kph, clutch, put the car in neutral, no gas, coast, then clutch, put car into 3d, release clutch, no gas, and the car should go by itself?

Posit: I would posit that the car should engine brake.
So I did try this at around 40kph. The car coasts a little, then engine brakes. Nothing unexpected.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
It's good for heavy traffic too and that's why truckers sometimes leave big gaps in the front, they're just idling along and letting the cars do the stop and go stuff in front of them.
yep, i dont leave too much room ahead, but do this all the time when i drive my MT cars in congestion. i just keep it in 1st and idle creep. i rarely use by brakes in those driving conditions so i drive slightly on the right side of the lane so dat the car behind me can see wats' ahead of me too.