3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Possible new FIT owner needs advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 11:35 AM
FTL
Possible new FIT owner needs advice.

Hi,

Background:
I am currently considering the purchase of a 2016 Honda FIT (EX/LX). I have been reading the forums and doing my research. Part of my research was to rent a ZIPCAR (2015 FIT LX) for the day to get a true feel for the car. I love everything about the car except for the road noise. My major problem was with concrete stretches on the highway/ freeway (deafening).

Question:
How much of a difference is there in road noise between the EX and LX?
Could those who drive on concrete highways with the EX advise?

Thank you.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
I don't find the noise levels objectionable at all. That said, I realize it's not a Lincoln or a Lexus and I adjust my expectations accordingly.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a 64 year old who has ridden motorcycles and played in rock bands much of his life, without hearing protection.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
FTL
My hearing is very sensitive so it would be a major issue for me. I have read that the EX has more noise insulation so I am optimistic. However I have no way of testing the EX on the highway.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:28 PM
The road noise I experience is coming from the Firestone oem tires. On certain roads they are deafening. My guess is the road noise will persist until your oem tires are replaced with low noise tires - Micheline Defenders for example.

There probably isn't much of a noise difference between the EX and LX on the highway. I think they are both supplied with the same oem tires. Again, my noise issue is from the tires, with some wind noise at the front pillars.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FTL
My hearing is very sensitive so it would be a major issue for me.
What are you currently driving? The Fit is simply an economical and versatile car with almost no luxury features. I bet the LX and EX have the same cabin noise. Don't expect the Fit to be something it wasn't designed to be or else you will be disappointed.

Last edited by Press Fit; 10-21-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:18 PM
I drove a 2012 Fit Sport for four years till last week I traded it in for a new 2016 Fit LX. In my opinion they both have more road noise than other cars I have owned in the past. I don't think they put a lot of sound insulation in Honda's.

However, The Fit is a great little car that's big on the inside. The Fit is a better car than all other little cars in that category. Also, my new 2016 Fit LX is considerably better on miles per gallon that the 2012 because of the CVT transmission.

Two years ago I did a road trip from Massachusetts, to south Florida and it was just fine.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I just bought a 2016 EX with the OEM Firestone Tires.

I love the vehicle.

And years before that I owned a 2010 Honda Fit Sport.

Also loved the vehicle.

But with both, I would say they weren't/aren't the quietest vehicle on the road.
The 2010 wasn't, and neither is the 2016...although I do think 2016 is a little quieter.

For me personally? The road noise, becomes "white noise" and my mind pretty quickly adapts to blocking it out. So I don't really notice it, nor am I routinely bothered by it.

If you fear it will bother you? Well about all you could do is test drive an EX on the freeway and determine whether you think it is passable.

I would actually recommend NOT buying the vehicle hoping a change in tires is going to solve your problems.

I think noise reduction in tires is a feature often oversold by tire manufacturers. Tread design and composition can help...I think...but IMO the noise that reaches your ears is primarily a result of the level of insulation and the surface you happen to be driving on.

When I changed out my OEM Dunlops on my 2010, I told the salesman, noise reduction was a feature I was looking for in my "next" tire.
He told me, he refused to sell a Tire based on noise reduction, because way too often people were ultimately disappointed. That the noise created had much, much more to do with the surface you are driving on, than the tire you are riding on.

That being said, I bought Yokohama's and I felt they were a "little" quieter, at least while brand new. But not enough of a difference that I felt a major change had happened.

I don't think The Firestones are the greatest. But neither would I purchase the vehicle with the hope that changing the tires would solve the problem "IF" you feel it's too loud to live with today.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with Fitchet. Initially I noticed it was louder than any of my previous cars on the interstate but not by much. Now I don't hear it at all, even at 75 MPH. It's just faded away into "white noise".

Steve

Old 10-21-2016, 04:44 PM
FTL
Thank you for the information guys.

I drive a 94 Accord EX.
So it seems the tires are more of a problem than the actual sound deadening. I will take it into consideration.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I don't find the noise levels objectionable at all. That said, I realize it's not a Lincoln or a Lexus and I adjust my expectations accordingly.

Then again, what do I know? I'm a 64 year old who has ridden motorcycles and played in rock bands much of his life, without hearing protection.
Like my 45 year old son told me years back when he was playing in a rock band, "Dad, if it's too loud, you're too old." (I'm now 75 for another month).

I've been told that the road noise from stock Fits is from the tires. A little extra padding in the hatch area and the firewall adds a few pounds, but might help.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:59 PM
FTL
Civic vs Fit.

I am at an impasse. I do love the car for everything else that it provides. Here in Astoria, parking is a nightmare so just the size of the Fit alone makes the car appealing. Factor in the sleek look and cargo capacity and its near perfect.
My other option is a Civic but I am hesitant because of its size - though you do get a much quieter ride. I can shave 5 inches off with a coupe but then I lose practically and cargo capacity.
Thank you all for the input.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
Most of us worked through all the car choices, just like you, and found ourselves looking at the Fit. There is no one here that believes the Fit is a perfect car because it isn't. The 2015 Fit was the first year of generation 3 and had some issues that seem to have gotten ironed-out in 2016. The 2017 Fit should be a reliable car. Rent the LX Fit from Zip again. This time take some impartial passengers along to give you their impression of the road noise. I obsess about things that often don't matter in a month or two. Good luck!

Old 10-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Why can't you visit a dealer and test-drive an EX? Tell them specifically you're concerned with road noise and want to try it on a highway.

And if that doesn't work, I have a 2016 EX and live in Westchester. I may be driving through Queens early Sunday evening...

Old 10-21-2016, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
Also check out a Mazda3. It might be quieter than the Fit. You will lose hatch space and it costs a lot more, but there is an increase in performance. It might be a quieter car.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
On a recent road trip, I noticed the road noise on concrete was significantly present while most pavement was not noticeable. Check and see how you notice the ride on pavement which probably makes up 98% of total roads, but maybe not your area.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:24 PM
FTL
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Why can't you visit a dealer and test-drive an EX? Tell them specifically you're concerned with road noise and want to try it on a highway.

And if that doesn't work, I have a 2016 EX and live in Westchester. I may be driving through Queens early Sunday evening...
Thanks for the generous offer (just goes to show how cool the fit community is), but I will head down to Paragon and see if they will allow me take it on the highway.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Also check out a Mazda3. It might be quieter than the Fit. You will lose hatch space and it costs a lot more, but there is an increase in performance. It might be a quieter car.
The Mazda3 MIGHT be quitter? The OP stated why the Fit met all but one of his criteria and you suggest a car that cost a LOT more and not as spacious. Did you read the original post and the OP's follow-ups?

I have a 2015 EX with a manual transmission, supposedly more noisy than a CVT because of the different gearing. I've had passengers remark on how quite the engine is and none complain about road noise. Granted most are short trips and the roads here in Metro Nashville are mostly asphalt. But hit a concrete strip and yes, it is noticeable. Three factors... transmission, road surface, and tires.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 PM
FYI I had a 2010 Fit Sport with the Dunlop tires and hated them- noisy, for one.

Fortunately they wore out pretty quickly and I got Yokohama Avid Ascends and was much happier with them. Quieter and 3% better mileage. With that I wonder why Honda didn't get better tires so they could market the car as getting better mileage.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
A 3% improvement on a car which already gets great mileage does nothing for the marketing department. However getting cheap tires puts money into Honda's pocket. Most of the other car companies do the same. Hey, as long as the customer gets off the lot without the tread wearing out then that's considered a win all around.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:59 PM
1 mpg can be significant and they also have corporate average fuel economy minimums to consider. I'm told that the minimal mileage improvement is why they switched to 0W20 oil from 5W20- a tiny fractional difference.

Quick Reply: Possible new FIT owner needs advice.