Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Theoretically, apps with the "drive" CCC certification should be able to be viewed when the vehicle is in motion.

Mirrorlink 1.1 protocol brings third-party apps to in-car screens | PCWorld

Edit: Just as Apple's announcement of CarPlay put many auto manufacturer's plans for Siri Eyes Free on hold (except for Ford Sync 3 in 2016), I suspect Google's announcement of Android Auto shut down any MirrorLink development not only for auto manufacturers, but for phone manufacturers as well. If MirrorLink has any future at all, it's for Nokia/Windows and Microsoft's Windows for cars.
Are google and Apple going to implement their own protocol between their in car system and phone instead of using MirrorLink or some single standard stuff.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Are google and Apple going to implement their own protocol between their in car system and phone instead of using MirrorLink or some single standard stuff.
Apple was never part of MirrorLink, and develops their own system. They have a bad case of the Does-Not-Play-Well-With-Others syndrome (see their cable connectors and chargers for Example #1). Apple Carplay, Android Auto, MirrorLink, Siri Eyes Free are all different, and the problem is that the phones are advancing so much faster than our cars. And don't expect our cars to be retrofitted with any new functionality; I had someone from Honda tell me that there are no plans to expand existing cars' functionality.

However, none of these other standards are coming to our cars. The ONLY options we have with our head unit are:
- Apple: Buy an HDMI/Lightning splitter and use the authorized HondaLink navigation.
- Android: We have to figure out why MirrorLink isn't working well and wait for app developers to produce a few more apps. And also we have to hope that more Android phones adopt the MirrorLink standards.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by btonetbone
The ONLY options we have [for Nav] with our head unit are:
To use a phone that works or
To use a phone that doesn't.

Once you get past the emotion and religion, it's really that simple.

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-17-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:45 AM
Che the japanese app

I found the japanese app for the car.
Check: www.honda.co.jp/internavi
They offer 1 month free trial but all in japanese and probably no usa maps. Worth to try to better understand protocols and features.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Srgio
I found the japanese app for the car.
Check: Honda„ internavi
They offer 1 month free trial but all in japanese and probably no usa maps. Worth to try to better understand protocols and features.
Interesting! Does anyone speak/read Japanese? I used Google Translate on the pages, but it didn't make much sense to me...

Also, I found the app on Google Play. It looks like it's restricted to specific countries and you have to have a membership in order to use it. I'll see if I can spoof my location to download or find an APK somewhere. If anyone else can get it on their phone, post results!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 PM
Interesting! Does anyone speak/read Japanese? I used Google Translate on the pages, but it didn't make much sense to me...

Also, I found the app on Google Play. It looks like it's restricted to specific countries and you have to have a membership in order to use it. I'll see if I can spoof my location to download or find an APK somewhere. If anyone else can get it on their phone, post results!
I can help is some cases, My Japanese is pretty Sub-Par i guess you would say. But studied it and been there lots. My Hiragana and katakana skills are great, just lacking on quite a lot of kanji.

Here's a guide/info about this system.

Just so you all are aware Internavi is a Headunit with this tech build in that Honda sells in Japan, Which can come OEM or they can upgraded to.

From what i am reading about the Internavi App its just a information app that can read data about your car MPG and other aspects. The navigation side of the App or in this case called "Internavi Pocket" is just that a navigation app for your phone.

The Iphone Guide does state it has natural support for HDMI output to any headunit with HDMI. it also states audio only navigation functions for any bluetooth headunit.

Granted take this with a grain of salt as my Japanese is not the greatest or even good i say. But the Internavi apps are not Mirrorlink apps.

Last edited by Darkshowdo; 02-18-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:59 AM
Japanese Honda apps and services

There are 2 apps from Honda on the JP ios marketplace.
Internavi Link and Internavi pocket.
The second one is very interesting.
Check the PDF...
http://www.honda.co.jp/internavi/poc...erguide_iP.pdf

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
I also still can't find any way to keep any apps open after taking the car out of park....Do navigation apps such as Sygic have the ability to override Honda's security setting? Or is this something baked in by Honda that we can't work around?
It appears that with Mirrorlink, in order for an app to work while the car is in motion, an encryption key is required. So the only apps that will work are those officially supported by Honda. (That is, Honda would have to give the app developer an encryption key)

Because of this, MirrorLink is stuck with the same exact problem that the HDMI port has. Some way has to be found around the systems that tell the head unit that the car is out of park or in motion.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Satertek
It appears that with Mirrorlink, in order for an app to work while the car is in motion, an encryption key is required. So the only apps that will work are those officially supported by Honda. (That is, Honda would have to give the app developer an encryption key)

Because of this, MirrorLink is stuck with the same exact problem that the HDMI port has. Some way has to be found around the systems that tell the head unit that the car is out of park or in motion.
I'm not sure that's 100% correct. Check out my thread on 9thgencivics.com. We have someone who is claiming that their HTC One M8 works for sending maps via MirrorLink while driving.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure that's 100% correct. Check out my thread on 9thgencivics.com. We have someone who is claiming that their HTC One M8 works for sending maps via MirrorLink while driving.
You're right. From this brochure, it says that once an app is certified at an official Mirrorlink testing facility, it will work on anything. And that there are also two types of certifications, one for when the car is in park, and one for in drive.

The lack of development around MirrorLink is just frustrating, and it's only available on a few smart phones at the moment. (And I haven't been able to find anything about how it runs on the phone, like what software the phone requires to enable supported apps)

Old 02-20-2015, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
What is more interesting is the assertion MirrorLink is a complete, but undocumented and unsupported, installation in the Honda head unit. Does that lay to rest your earlier position that Honda engineers were unable to get it to work?

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-20-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:58 AM
What is more interesting is the assertion MirrorLink is a complete, but undocumented and unsupported, installation in the Honda head unit. Does that lay to rest your earlier position that Honda engineers were unable to get it to work?

edit to add: it would be interesting to find out if that HTC One was untethered or which carrier it was tied to.
No, I'm still sticking with my premise that Honda couldn't get it to work. At least, I don't think that they were able to get it working reliably enough to send it out into the public with apps and support. Frankly, if they had, we'd have a similar app to what they've produced for iPhones available on MirrorLink-enabled phones.

What they have left us with is buggy - it's caused my phone to restart on multiple occasions, and the other person's M8 only works with the screen on. Maybe MirrorLink is the culprit, I don't know. But what I DO know is that Honda repeatedly promised Android support and clearly failed to fully deliver.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Seems the guy with the M8 got an update that broke it, then got another one that fixed that and a previous problem. There may be problems in the Honda head unit, but I'm going to bet most of the problems are in the phones. How do you know it isn't your phone's implementation of MirrorLink isn't what's causing it to reboot?

Old 02-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Seems the guy with the M8 got an update that broke it, then got another one that fixed that and a previous problem. There may be problems in the Honda head unit, but I'm going to bet most of the problems are in the phones. How do you know it isn't your phone's implementation of MirrorLink isn't what's causing it to reboot?
Again, as I stated earlier, I don't know if it's a MirrorLink issue. But what I DO know is that Honda repeatedly promised Android support and has clearly failed to deliver.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 AM
Hello

Someone posted this video, seems to work without too much truble, but it doesn't says what phone was he using

Old 02-28-2015, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...miroamer&hl=en

Someone with a Mirrorlink phone try it!

Old 03-01-2015, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tompzone
Hello

Someone posted this video, seems to work without too much truble, but it doesn't says what phone was he using

Honda Civic EX ,mirrorlink - YouTube
He answered your question on YT…
Originally Posted by Uday Sah
Hi there , I ma using T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android Lollipop 5.0) ..and also i installed Drivelink , and HondaLink on my phone ...and the app you see on video is miRoamer a internet radio app…

Old 03-20-2015, 10:38 AM
KC diag screen on boot. HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS?

Anyone know how to avoid getting this every time I start my car? Civics and Fit have the same system, so hoping you guys can help me out here. It's a screen that seems to do a diagnostic of everything. I have to enter the diag mode and exit that to get rid of it. It's annoying. Thanks.

If the image doesn't show, I uploaded it to my google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by JustinOttawa; 03-20-2015 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added image
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM
And the splitter always breaks. 75$ a pop is annoying.

Apple was never part of MirrorLink, and develops their own system. They have a bad case of the Does-Not-Play-Well-With-Others syndrome (see their cable connectors and chargers for Example #1). Apple Carplay, Android Auto, MirrorLink, Siri Eyes Free are all different, and the problem is that the phones are advancing so much faster than our cars. And don't expect our cars to be retrofitted with any new functionality; I had someone from Honda tell me that there are no plans to expand existing cars' functionality.

However, none of these other standards are coming to our cars. The ONLY options we have with our head unit are:
- Apple: Buy an HDMI/Lightning splitter and use the authorized HondaLink navigation.
- Android: We have to figure out why MirrorLink isn't working well and wait for app developers to produce a few more apps. And also we have to hope that more Android phones adopt the MirrorLink standards.
And at 75$ when the splitter from Apple always breaks, it's frustrating.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM
Any updates on shutting off the safety lock feature for the display? I see there have been a lot of updates and people working on the MirrorLink thing but I always thought that shutting off the safety lock was more promising and would give more people a greater use. I don't want to sound ungrateful, I appreciate anyone who takes time out of their day to fix Honda's ineptitude. Just wondering if attempts have stalled or if those working on it have moved forums? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Jailbreak Honda Link, Possible?