3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

EX H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:55 PM
jhn
White Orchid Pearl GK Lowered *pics*

I just finished it up. Sport springs stock dampers. It doesn't say to, but I cut the bumps tops about 3/4" 1 donut ring. It handles and rides great. Much better that I anticipated. About 3hrs in the garage. Pain-free. Really happy. 51831 is the spring number. It looks like the GE camber bolts will work. I test fitted them but won't install them 'til I get it on the alignment table in a week or so. #GK5 #Hondafit #HanRsprings

Last edited by jhn; 06-19-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Please add pics.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:13 AM
jhn
Alright, here you go. My car, stock, right after I added the receiver hitch:

After I changed the springs. I really like it so far:

Last edited by jhn; 01-05-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM
jhn
It really was not too difficult to do. Maybe 3 hours total. I stopped to eat for bit, then went back and finished it.

Ride quality is stiffer for sure, but not to the point where it is bothersome. The damping is pretty good. I expected the rebound to be much faster than it is. Parking curbs and steep driveways are a concern now. The rubber skirt under the front bumper can hit. Front measured 1.625" drop, Rear 1.25". I mostly chose these springs for the progressive rate, amount of drop, and their reputation. It seems many springs on the market drop the back the same amount as the front, or more. I'm not sure why that is. I carry bikes on the back and the lesser rear drop was more attractive for my needs. driveability and usefulness wasn't really sacrificed. With bikes on the back, the added stiffness is welcomed. Stock springs were a bit too soft for the weight.

If you're the type of person that thinks the Fit rides rough in stock form, don't do this. If you are the type of person who would buy the sport package on any car, and you don't mind the added responsibility of maintaining awareness of the clearance issues, you'll love it. This little car handles like a go-kart now.

Plans now are to get an alignment first and foremost, add different wheels; exhaust; grill; dampers (Koni) when available; some other stuff.

I like this car.

Last edited by jhn; 01-05-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:33 PM
jhn
Accessing the top hats are a bit tricky at first, but easy once the access covers are removed:

H&R doesn't mention it, but I cut the first "donut" off the stops. Time will tell if this is good but I think it will be fine:

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 PM
jhn
I didn't use a spring compressor. I had heard from numerous people, as well as youtube vids showed it wasn't necessary. It wasn't. there's not much tension on the nut by the time it reaches the end of the threads:

Disclaimer: If you're not confident in your mechanical abilities, don't do this. you can hurt yourself or others and cause expensive damage if done incorrectly.

But if you are up to the task it's a piece of cake.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 PM
jhn

Shaved the FIT emblem. Looks better without it:

Last edited by jhn; 01-05-2015 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 AM
Looks good and wise choice with a lesser drop on the rear for when you carry those bikes. If you went lower back there you might have been rubbing when loaded with people or cargo too.

Keep an eye on your rear wheel well liners. Some people have had them come loose and start falling out. I don't think a reason why has been determined yet, but it would be interesting to see if lowering has any kind of influence.

Were there any other spring brands you considered? If yes, what would have been your 2nd or 3rd choice?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:21 AM
jhn
They're already hanging down. My wife has one too and hers are as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I think I'll remove them, but my concern is its just exposed painted metal and abrasive tire spray will remove the paint and expose the metal. Is there a plastic fender well? If not, I think I'll wash it real well, mask off everything and paint it with a spray liner. Not sure yet. They're coming off though.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:26 AM
jhn
I considered Tein @1.6" both ends but I saw the purple one with them in another thread and it looked like the back was a bit too low for me. They were second choice. Eibach and swift too but their ride heights weren't where I wanted. I'm trying to avoid Coilovers. Good springs and some koni's are all I need for everyday driving.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:32 AM
The LX trim doesn't have the liners at all. So Honda's not too concerned with debris chips and rust up in there for some reason. The theory is they're only in there on the EX to help with road noise.

There's a long thread somewhere about it and a few others have replaced with a spray liner too.

There's definitely a better solution, but nobody has found it yet.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by jhn
I considered Tein @1.6" both ends but I saw the purple one with them in another thread and it looked like the back was a bit too low for me. They were second choice. Eibach and swift too but their ride heights weren't where I wanted. I'm trying to avoid Coilovers. Good springs and some koni's are all I need for everyday driving.
I'm leaning toward Swifts. I'd like to go equally lower on both ends because I'll never be hauling more than 200 - 300 lbs. of stuff or people in back. I'm afraid Teins will be too stiff and of anything more that 1.5" up front. I have to deal with a lot of tall driveway curbs and speed bumps. Hearing that scrape always makes me cringe.

I totally forgot about Eibach and need to go check what their drop is listed as.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 AM
jhn
I considered the Swift sport springs. They're known for quality stuff in the racing scene. They, as well as H&R, offer different options. The Swift sports are the only model I was considering, and the drop is mild: 1.2" front; 1.0" rear. Same deal for me because they offer slightly more drop in the front, but less overall than the H&R sports. H&R makes an OEM style that's more subtle than the sport, as well as a super dropped race version. Eibach are advertised as 1.4" rear and 1.2" front. Backward from what I needed or I probably would have gone with those. Reverse stance is weird.

Last edited by jhn; 01-06-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
I considered the Swift sport springs. They're known for quality stuff in the racing scene. They, as well as H&R, offer different options. The Swift sports are the only model I was considering, and the drop is mild: 1.2" front; 1.0" rear. Same deal for me because they offer slightly more drop in the front, but less overall than the H&R sports. H&R makes an OEM style that's more subtle than the
sport, as well as a super dropped race version. Eibach are advertised as 1.4" rear and 1.2" front. Backward from what I needed or I probably would have gone with those. Reverse stance is weird.
Dude I'm totally canceling my order for the Rs-R and going to order these I love the dropage on yours... Any more tips other then what you already posted?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM
jhn
Just take your time if you haven't done this before. Loosen the top hats while there's still weight on the car. Use a 17mm box wrench, not much room in there. Be careful with parking curbs and speed bumps and bad pavement, etc.

I dove mine for 10 days before I got an alignment to make sure I liked the changes. There shouldn't be any settling with these springs. Once it's done, that's the height it will be. Post pics when you're done.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:37 PM
jhn
Oh, and be careful of the half shafts when you take out the struts. If they pull out its not a problem but you have to make sure they go back in correctly.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 AM

THANKS BRO
JUST GOT IT DONE YESTERDAY

Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM
jhn
Looks good, of course! Looks familiar too, haha.

How do you like it? I like the handling much better, but I have to be more aware. Mine clears all speed bumps I've passed over.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by jhn
Looks good, of course! Looks familiar too, haha.

How do you like it? I like the handling much better, but I have to be more aware. Mine clears all speed bumps I've passed over.
So far I love it, and of course the handling is awesome. So far I haven't hit anything thank you man for helping me choose the right springs. Now im looking for a carbon lip but can't find anything.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:22 PM
jhn
Don't forget an alignment if you haven't gotten one already. You'll eat up the front tires. The toe decreased w/ the drop.

Last edited by jhn; 03-04-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: EX H&R Springs