General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Total miles on 1 tank, not gallons, just miles

Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Total miles on 1 tank, not gallons, just miles

Again, no offence to anybody. But I don't want to hear about how many miles you went, then how much gas you put in. All I want to hear is how many miles you went on a tank of gas. If you are getting the milage you say you are (45+ mpg), then you should be going 500 or more miles on a tank of gas. I am putting up the Bull Sh*t flag here. I don't think that is happening. Not with a 5 speed auto anyhow.

When I refuel I shake the car many times side to side and can easily put in over two gallons more then when it first clicks off at the pump. Right up close to the filler opening where I could touch the gas with my finger down the hole if I wanted to. Weather or not I should do this we can save for another debate some other day.

My point being that I think many are getting wrong actual mpg numbers by driving so far then filling with gas to first click, but not all the way up. Out filler system is terrible at best for leaving lots of room left for more gas. 2 gallons more is a lot with such a small car. If I fill to first click my gas light is on at 280 miles. When I fill alllll the way up I often go 360-400 miles or more before the gas light comes on. So you can see why I am skeptical of claims of 45+ mpg for a whole tank of gas. Or even high 30's for that matter.

I am no way saying that I am trying to hyper mile but I do try to balance actually moving the car to keeping out of others way. I drive with a light foot, coast as much a possible etc to acheive what I hope is decent milage. I do not turn off my car at stop lights but see no harm in doing so. European cars that I have driven do so automatically from the factory. Manuals anyhow...

So again, how many miles can you drive on a tank of gas. I don't want to hear about any amounts of gas you put in, just how many miles on one tank when you do finally fill up. I know how many gallons the car CAN take. If you actually are going 500 miles or more, my hat is off to you and I will buy you a beer!

Old 06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
There's a thread like this which I started. Go and see the thread "What's your best mpg per tank?" That thread will give you what you're looking for.

Last edited by Black01; 06-23-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I never ever ever go past first click. It clicks for a damn REASON. I get between 290 and 320 miles on a full tank up to first click. Last time was 36mpg. No bullshit. I doubt the 45+ guys are lying, but the way they drive probably pisses off everybody around them.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I doubt the 45+ guys are lying, but the way they drive probably pisses off everybody around them.
I have done 46mpg using P&G and FAS and slow acceleration. It is possible if you put a lot of effort into it.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
- 864.0 miles on 13.2 gallons(topped off tank to where you can see the gas about to spill out) and achieved 65.45mpg

- 607.0 miles on 8.6 gallons (did not top off tank) and achieved 70.5mpg

The techniques used are the hypermilling bread and butter techniques that you can piss people off with. Mild hypermilling you can achieve in the lower to mid 50's for mpg and not piss people off. I am currently only getting 50mpg because I got tired of going slow and having my commute take forever.

Technique, as always, is key.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
In one tank? 536 with no overfilling. My average is around 400 before I fill up. 5AT Base GD3; tire pressure at 44psi

Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't run my car until it's out of gas (I fill up when its later in the day and/or when I find a really good price). I also don't think it matters what the range of your vehicle is, just the MPG (but that's just me).

BEST: (mild-mid hypermiling, one long highway trip)

8.5 Gallons = 389 Mi = 45.76 MPG

WORST: (breaking the car in, messing with paddle shifters, being an arse)

9.5 Gallons = 265 Mi = 27.8

-P

Old 06-23-2009, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, I see your general point, but in this case your statement is misleading and incorrect. You see, if you are CONSISTENT at every fuel up, and fill to the same 'height' then your calculations for MPG will be exact and correct.

However, if you fuel up once 'normally', and the next time you are 'shaking the car' etc to get more fuel into the tank, THEN your calculation is going to be incorrect.

The whole point of filling up etc is to know how much gas you consumed. The premise is that you are fuleing up to the same height every time, regardless of whether you're filling 9 gal or 14 gal.

Originally Posted by rocksnap

My point being that I think many are getting wrong actual mpg numbers by driving so far then filling with gas to first click, but not all the way up.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
i want to say around 320-340, thats what it was when the gas light came on

Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
701km or 438 miles before I felt I should fill up. Someone who's familiar with the imperial system can convert that to MPG if you dont mind.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
I've never gotten over 350 miles on my car because of these lovely southern california hills all over the goddamn place. I swear if I lived in Nebraska I'd be posting 45+MPGs! GD3AT Sport.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I've never gotten over 350 miles on my car because of these lovely southern california hills all over the goddamn place. I swear if I lived in Nebraska I'd be posting 45+MPGs! GD3AT Sport.
Word. Flipping glacial moraines all over the place here, so it's hills-a-plenty as well (OHIO). I doubt they are as steep as in CA, but they are probably as frequent. It's hard to build up enough speed before the next one pops up.

-P

Old 06-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm amazed I get 35mpg in the most densely populated state in the US. Also, there's always traffic and I never seem to hit a green light ever.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Be skeptical all you like, but also be aware that the folks here who are serious about keeping track of their mileage are all aware of the "hyperfilling" capabilities of the Fit. I use it all the time myself to get an extra 100 miles between fillups.

clif notes: We know.

Last edited by wdb; 06-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wdb
Be skeptical all you like, but also be aware that the folks here who are serious about keeping track of their mileage are all aware of the "hyperfilling" capabilities of the Fit. I use it all the time myself to get an extra 100 between fillups.

clif notes: We know.
Me too. I have gone over 500 miles on a tank a few times but drive fast at times and compensate by slowing down, but never on a winding hilly road and there are a lot of them around here .... I was getting an average of 38 and going over 39 on occasion. I am getting between 31.5 and 33 since I installed a super charger and am trying to develop a lighter right foot.... Well at least at least for a larger percentage of the time I'm behind the wheel than I do now for when the price of fuel goes over $4.00 a gallon again. When that happens I'll be riding a motor scooter to keep cost down.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap

If I fill to first click my gas light is on at 280 miles. When I fill alllll the way up I often go 360-400 miles or more before the gas light comes on. So you can see why I am skeptical of claims of 45+ mpg for a whole tank of gas. Or even high 30's for that matter.
I always fill up to the first click. I usually run my tank down about to the low fuel light or just before. I get about 350 miles/tank doing that, and that has led to a pretty consistent 36-37 mpg since my engine passed its break in period. I drive smart--no hypermiling stuff because there's just too much traffic on my drives, but I don't roar my engine around (haha, can a 1.5L actually roar?) or brake hard much.

You didn't want to hear about the number of gallons, so I won't tell you that I usually put in about 9.5 gallons when the low fuel light is on.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM
WGE
5 Year Member
The most miles I have driven between fillups has been 436 miles on a Colorado road trip. It took 8.583 gallons to fill to the first automatic shutoff at the pump where I always stop. This gave 50.8 mpg. In fact, for this tank I happened to gas up at the same station using the same pump in Gunnison as I did for the previous fillup. I don't recall if the low fuel light had come on or not. That usually comes on for me when I need to add closer to 9 gallons. This was for an '08 base Fit with manual transmission.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
why just miles

The reason I am asking just for miles is because we all know how many gallons that will fill a Fit. If you can go about 430 total miles like me (have gone 50 miles when the gas light comes on (380 miles) and have yet to run out) then anyone can ball park the milage. But I drive 75 MPH on the highway.

Now people with substantially higher gas milage than me will be going quite a bit further on a tank of gas. Again, I really don't care on how many gallons you take, just how far driven well into the gas light on range. IE: someone going 550 miles is getting approximately 50 MPG.

From what I have researched for every 10 MPH slower in highway speed will net an increase in milage about 5-8 MPG. Down to a point. Those doing some serious hypermiling should be going 650 or more miles. I don't think high tire pressure will get you that far. Drafting a semi might. No idea about the CVT Fits.

To hear something cruel. I vacationed the Alps last year. Rented a BMW 3 series twin turbo diesel wagon 6 speed manual. According to the car computer set on US, my worst high speed autoban (120+ MPH sustained) driving I was getting 36 MPG. And rural road easy driving I was getting 58 MPG. This was whole tank milage, not just a snap shot at "best" conditions. Imagine a Fit turbo diesel! PPPPPLLLLLLEEEEAAAASEEEEE...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
my best ever in my 09 sport at was 42.1 mpg(415miles). i usually get around 33-39mpg(315-375miles)while driving casually.

if i feel like i should waste gas ill just pull hard and will be in S mode and will get 27 mpg or less.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
The OP owes quite a few beers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total miles on 1 tank, not gallons, just miles