Why does the Fit cost much more in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Why does the Fit cost much more in Canada

So, I'm curious why the Fit Sport costs $2500 more in Canada than the US. ( I looked at pricing for the Sport model without Navigation as that is not available in the Canadian market.)

Honda states the following on its website regarding reasons to buy from a Canadian Dealer. So, items number 7 and 8, is that true? Also, Item 10, I assume there is an extra cost in getting everything in English/French

Why Buy From a Canadian Honda Dealer?
The following are some of the benefits of buying or leasing a Canadian-specification Honda automobile or truck from a Canadian Honda dealer:
1 Financing and leasing options, not available for U.S.-specification Honda vehicles purchased in the U.S. for importation by Canadian residents
2 New or used vehicle Canadian warranty coverage, which does not cover new or used U.S.-specification vehicles purchased in the U.S. for importation into Canada
3 Available Honda Plus coverage for extended warranty, which is not available on new or used U.S.-specification Honda vehicles purchased in the U.S. for importation into Canada by Canadian residents
4 Availability of 24-hour Roadside Assistance on new Canadian-specification Honda cars and trucks
5 Timely availability of replacement parts for all Canadian-specification Honda cars and trucks; whereas replacement parts for U.S.-specification vehicles might not be available in Canada, possibly causing lengthy delays for servicing or repairs
6 New vehicle sales promotions and programs in Canada, including the Honda Grad program eligibility on select models
7 Canadian-specific climate-related parts, which may include such items as larger windshield washer fluid reservoirs, higher cold-cranking batteries, heated mirrors, heated rear seats, etc.
8 Canadian-specific safety items such as 8-kilometre bumpers and daytime running lights and security features such as an enhanced immobilization system to meet the new, stringent Canada-only immobilizer regulation (effective for all Canadian-market vehicles as of September 1, 2007). Some U.S. models may not be equipped with Canadian-specification immobilizer systems and are, therefore, not certified for sale in Canada; these vehicles are presently ineligible for importation under Canadian law.
9 Canadian-specification Honda vehicles that are equipped with a satellite navigation system incorporate fully French-Canadian voice guidance, mapping and controls.
10 Canadian-specification Honda vehicles are equipped with labeling that accommodates the metric system and bi-lingual labeling requirements.
11 Eligibility of government tax incentives, such as the federal ecoAuto rebate and provincial rebate programs for hybrid vehicles or other fuel-efficient vehicles.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Well, the Canadian Fit certainly doesn't have heated mirrors, or front seats, never mind rear seats!

There's truth in the points about warranty, and possibly replacement parts--Canadian Fits don't have the tire pressure sensors, for example.

#11 isn't valid for the 2009 model year, since the eco-rebate has been discontinued.

But are all these points worth a $2500 markup (and a $1300 delivery fee, versus $600 in the US)? Ummm, unlikely.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
every car is overpriced in canada vs usa

Old 09-23-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, I was talking about the Sport Fit which does have heated mirrors. Eco Rebate may have been discontinued, but I still got the dealer rebate of $1000.00

You are right about the double delivery fee, I didn't even mention that part.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by fitinvancouver
Actually, I was talking about the Sport Fit which does have heated mirrors. Eco Rebate may have been discontinued, but I still got the dealer rebate of $1000.00

You are right about the double delivery fee, I didn't even mention that part.
The $1000 is the eco rebate. It is the provincial rebate and not the federal rebate. I was looking into an '08 Yaris for that reason, saving $2000 on both the provincial and federal rebates on top of $1000 markdown by the dealer. Still decided against it. Just didn't like the location of the meters, smack in the middle. Was told Toyota tried to cut cost by using the same model for left and right handed driving.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm from Vancouver and I think that it's crap... our winters aren't cold in comparison to Massachusetts and other NE States. What about them?!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I shake my head when I see how much the US pays for some of their new cars. However, I can somehow understand 2 big reasons for the price differences....higher taxes to do business here in Canada and the fact that the US population is 10 times that of Canada.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
What I can't understand, is why can Americans get stability control on their Fit Sport and Canadians can't? I believe we need that safety feature just as much as they do, if not more because of our winters! I've emailed Honda Canada many times about this issue, so I hope they offer it with the 2011 model.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have a fit sport and it came with heated mirrors so not sure why some of you may be missing yours. Also when I bought my Fit (Aug 09) I was given an Eco rebate as well as not having to pay one of the taxes on it. I can't remember if it was PST or GST. Also take into consideration that the CDN and USD are not exactly equal. We also do have features and parts that the US models don't. I can't remember them all but there are a few.

As far as the delivery fee I used it in negotiations. I'm not going to pay extra to the dealer so they can stock a car...to me that's part of being a dealer...so I didn't pay for it....and as someone already posted all cars are more expensive in Canada compared to the states! My only gripe is Canadian dealers can't get Mugen parts

Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Almost all of the 11 points listed by Honda do not answer the OP's question why it cost more. They are reasons for the consumers to consider when buying a car - in Canada or US. However, depending on your situation, the "benefits" may or may not be applicable. Some manufactures, including Honda, have been adjusting their Canadian pricing to make the gap smaller. Canadian most definitely pay more for cars. The price gap is bigger on the higher end cars.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM
#8 sounds like a reason to buy a Canadian car- the U.S. used to require 5 mph bumpers. When that requirement was done away with- allegedly to get rid of a regulation that cost consumers money- insurance claim costs went up, actually COSTING us money.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
we all paying too much for our FIT ...
we should list our final drive out prices so other new members can use it as a reference point when buying or negotiating a new FIT.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I think the reasons they cost so much more if pretty simple. We get different options vs. US cars and like I posted last time you will always have to consider the exchange ratio....and now there's GST to deal with as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
ohw
5 Year Member
Only some cars are manufactured with Canadian specific options, not all cars. Also the difference in equipment does not add up to the added price difference either. I imported a new car from the US in 2007 and saved $20,000 in the process after including all expenses. it's not a Honda. The differece between the Can/US version are the French stickers and measurements in metric. That does not add up anywhere near the difference in price. Good news is my Fit is effectively free, paid for with the money I saved.
Exchange was a factor may be 5 years ago or longer. Have you check the exchange rate since 2007? The difference is next to nil. BTW, the Can $ is currently higher than US. GST is not include in the MSRP. The MSRP is higher in Canada to start with. US have their share of State taxes, some states are way higher than our 5% GST.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:37 AM
every car is overpriced in canada vs usa
well, you can always borrow money to get the car, perhaps the interest in Canada is much cheaper than in the US.