Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Ask your Detailing Questions here:

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Ask your Detailing Questions here:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this specific forum because I just purchased a 2009 Honda fit; however, I have been professionally detailing and restoring paint for 6 years. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me or post on this thread.

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 AM
You can browse my portfolio and photos to help gather some questions; however, the link below is not to be used as an advertisement, and I only detail by referral.

Portfolio

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 AM
headlight swirls

got my car detailed.. satisfied with the results.. but they masked the headlights, so there are some swirls on them. rubbing compound would work on them ?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Bigaizsosexy
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this specific forum because I just purchased a 2009 Honda fit; however, I have been professionally detailing and restoring paint for 6 years. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to pm me or post on this thread.

Thanks,

Andrew
how much do you charge for a detail? and where are u in NJ?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by singhonwheels
got my car detailed.. satisfied with the results.. but they masked the headlights, so there are some swirls on them. rubbing compound would work on them ?

Hi,

Chances are rubbing compound is too abrasive to use for just removing light swirling; however, try a less abrasive polish like M-205, Menzerna Power or Super Finish. If you use rubbing compound be sure to follow up with one of the above suggested less abrasive polishes.

M-205 is by meguiars, and the polish can normally be found at local auto stores.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
how much do you charge for a detail? and where are u in NJ?
Responded to via PM.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:57 AM
My 2009 Honda Fit after a Multi-Stage Correction and Dual Application of DoDo Juice Hard Candy Boutique Wax
Name:  IMG_0327.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  24.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0329.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0333.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0336-1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  101.6 KB

Old 06-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Thank you for the questions, and I am looking forward to answering some more, so please do not hesitate to ask a question. Remember, no question is too stupid to answer!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi,

Chances are rubbing compound is too abrasive to use for just removing light swirling; however, try a less abrasive polish like M-205, Menzerna Power or Super Finish. If you use rubbing compound be sure to follow up with one of the above suggested less abrasive polishes.

M-205 is by meguiars, and the polish can normally be found at local auto stores.
heard these products give headlights a brand new look but after some time they get yellowish tint, dull/ hazy. so thinking of using 1000 grit sandpaper on them and then clear coating them. any suggestions ?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
If you are going to sand them you will have to follow up with a polish of some sort. Also, yes apply some cQuartz or sealant to the lenses because they will dull again if the acrylic is left unprotected. I suggest to use a compound with an orange pad, and follow up with a medium abrasive polish like Menzerna super finish or Meg's 205, and after you have removed the oxidation you can apply a sealant.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM
heard these products give headlights a brand new look but after some time they get yellowish tint, dull/ hazy. so thinking of using 1000 grit sandpaper on them and then clear coating them. any suggestions ?

How did they come out?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
There's another thread going on right now about headlight restoration. I used to be a professional detailer and painter as well and decided to give the Helmsman sealant trick a try. Just finished it and it looks great. As Sexy stated, you need to make sure you use some sort of sealant or in a couple months the yellowing will come back. 1000 grit seems a little high to finish with (I prefer 1500-2000 before buffing it) but with a good compound and buffer you'd be fine. Before I tried the Helmsman method I would finish with 1500 and clear coat it, but now that I've the new method, I don't think I'll go back! Below is a link to the other thread and below that is the link to the original Helmsman method article:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hts-clear.html

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Keep up with good work Sexy, your Fit looks great! Maybe you should post something on the products you use/recommend stage-by-stage on an abused car. I think some of the older Fits (like my 07 NHBP) could use a bit of love. Most people think a wash/clay/wax will clean up their paint but sometimes it takes a bit more love to make them shine like new.

I've got another question for you.. what do you recommend for light acid spots? Usually I would lightly wetsand and buff it, but am curious if you know of a good product or method which is even better or may compliment the wetsanding.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 AM
How did they come out?
Extreme hot days in India. I will do it when it gets better.
I know 1500- 2000 should be used but I have read somewhere that finer the sand paper the more orange peel you get after clear coating.
Please correct me if I m wrong.

One more question-
There are some hard places in my fit where my mitt and mf towel can't reach. like below the outside rear view mirror. How do I get there?
There is some yellowish hard water crap in there, how do I get rid of them?

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Andrew
What's the best way to get rid of light scratches? They don't go down to primer and you can only see it up close, they're all over the place though and I think I got them from using a car wash stall brush too much before I was able to wash my car at home.

I was assuming claybar, polish, wax? Products? Paint also has weird holograms in certain sunlight but it's always been like that since I picked it up brand new. Car is black, I know that may make a difference.

Car washing and cleaning has never been my forte.

TIA

Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM
We need help also.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
How do you get fine dog hair off the seats and carpet? I've tried vacuum, rubber dish glove, 3m dog hair interior brush with no luck

Old 06-14-2013, 11:59 AM
I love to detail my cars in general.
My question is, what's the best way to start and continue a good detail regiment? I bought my fit used and had it detailed, but they waxed without using a claybar.

What steps should I take to bring the paint back to a good starting point? Claybar the heck out of it? Buff?

As far as using products on there, which ones do you recommend for this? I live by an auto parts store and I'd like to use more professional products, but I'm afraid of using a buffer. As I haven't used one before. I can always get it done by the detailers at work, but I'd prefer to wax, claybar, and whatever else myself, so I know all the nooks and crannies were taken care of too.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Hi Oblivious,

How are you, and thank you for the kind words? Further, what type of acid spotting are you referring to (bird ethcing, acid rain etching, or chemical etching)? Anyway, your method is normally used for worst case scenarios where the acid has eaten too far into the clear coat to polish it out with an Orbital Polisher; however, I would take paint readings in the acid etching spots, and use an aggressive compound (menzerna power gloss) with a rotary polisher. You can finish down with a less abrasive polish, a white pad and a orbital polisher. It is also common that the acid has eaten into the base coat, which would call for an entire panel respray.

Originally Posted by 0bLiViOuS
There's another thread going on right now about headlight restoration. I used to be a professional detailer and painter as well and decided to give the Helmsman sealant trick a try. Just finished it and it looks great. As Sexy stated, you need to make sure you use some sort of sealant or in a couple months the yellowing will come back. 1000 grit seems a little high to finish with (I prefer 1500-2000 before buffing it) but with a good compound and buffer you'd be fine. Before I tried the Helmsman method I would finish with 1500 and clear coat it, but now that I've the new method, I don't think I'll go back! Below is a link to the other thread and below that is the link to the original Helmsman method article:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...hts-clear.html

Headlight Restoration-new UV sealant idea - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Keep up with good work Sexy, your Fit looks great! Maybe you should post something on the products you use/recommend stage-by-stage on an abused car. I think some of the older Fits (like my 07 NHBP) could use a bit of love. Most people think a wash/clay/wax will clean up their paint but sometimes it takes a bit more love to make them shine like new.

I've got another question for you.. what do you recommend for light acid spots? Usually I would lightly wetsand and buff it, but am curious if you know of a good product or method which is even better or may compliment the wetsanding.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM
A simple remedy would be to use a small crevice detailing brush, and you can purchase them locally. Sometime we cannot fit our hands into the tight spaces, so we need to use detailing brushes that are safe for paint use. Search up wheel woolies, and I know they make numerous types of detailing brushes.

Extreme hot days in India. I will do it when it gets better.
I know 1500- 2000 should be used but I have read somewhere that finer the sand paper the more orange peel you get after clear coating.
Please correct me if I m wrong.

One more question-
There are some hard places in my fit where my mitt and mf towel can't reach. like below the outside rear view mirror. How do I get there?
There is some yellowish hard water crap in there, how do I get rid of them?

Old 06-25-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi Wanderer,

The best way to get rid of light scratches is to use an abrasive polish to finish down the imperfections, so they are level with the surface. If you do not feel comfortable polishing paint, I would suggest hiring a experienced detailer.

My Recommendation:
Orbital Polisher
Megs 105 (compound) and Megs 205 (less abrasive polish)
Orange, black and white Lake Country CCS 5.5 pad
Proper Split-Microfiber Towels

For example: I used a two stage correction process on this BMW 745 to smooth the imperfections, so they are level with the paint surface. Therefore, the majority of light imperfections are removed; however, some Random Isolated Deep Scratches will remain because it is unsafe to remove too much clear coat.

Before the swirling and other imperfections were removed:
Name:  IMG_1056copy.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  25.2 KB

After the imperfections were removed.

Name:  IMG_1059copy.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  25.0 KB

Moreover, Holograms are extremely common from the dealer because they do not use skilled detailers and practice progressive/fast pace detailing. Holograms are left from rotary buffing marks, which heats up the surface and leave buffing trails; however, the holograms are supposed to be removed with less abrasive polish before any type of last step product is used.

Lastly, perform the fingernail test. Many scratches may not appear deep, but if your fingernail clicks when you glide it across the finish you will need to measure the depth of the scratch.

PM me your location, and maybe I can service your vehicle.

Did I answer your questions?

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
What's the best way to get rid of light scratches? They don't go down to primer and you can only see it up close, they're all over the place though and I think I got them from using a car wash stall brush too much before I was able to wash my car at home.

I was assuming claybar, polish, wax? Products? Paint also has weird holograms in certain sunlight but it's always been like that since I picked it up brand new. Car is black, I know that may make a difference.

Car washing and cleaning has never been my forte.

TIA

Quick Reply: Ask your Detailing Questions here: