Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Honda Genuine Motor Oil- What it is and where to get it

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Honda Genuine Motor Oil- What it is and where to get it

First off, I want to disclose that it probably doesnt make much difference which brand oil you choose. Most oil on the market is good. Consumer Reports did a test in 1996 and their conclusion was it didnt matter the brand.

Link to Consumer Reports oil test: Return to last page

However, for those of us who are so anal as to demand their Honda Fit be filled with the oil which Honda puts in their retail bottles and as a "factory fill" and is "tested and approved by Honda R&D" then this thread is for you.

After doing considerable research on the web, I believe the current Honda Genuine Motor Oil is made by Conoco. The Honda Genuine bottle looks very similar to Conoco's Kendall bottle.

Link to picture and description of Kendall Oil:
ConocoPhillips Lubricants: World-class products and services

Link to picture of Honda Genuine Bottle:
Honda Motor Oil - Synthetic - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Notice how both Honda and Kendall use the word "Ultimate" on their fully synthetic bottles.

As for the semi-synthetic 0w-20 which is the "factory fill" for 2011-2012 Honda Fits, here is the Conoco version:
ConocoPhillips Lubricants: World-class products and services

Here is the Honda Genuine version, notice the bottles are exactly the same as the Conoco bottles:
Honda Motor Oil - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

Here is a picture of the actual Honda Genuine bottle:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So where do you get this Kendall oil? Some of the Kendall oil appears on www.amazon.com, but not all. The other place, besides the Honda dealership, is Firestone Autocare. The only oil they use for oil changes is Kendall. I went to a local Firestone and they wanted $61 for a fully synthetic 0w-20 oil change (it would be much cheaper with semi-synthetic or a different grade) and they would conduct a 19-point vehicle inspection. The Honda dealership wanted $90 for a fully synthetic oil change and they said they would use Mobil 1 bulk. I have looked on a lot of websites and besides Amazon and Firestone there is no other place I found. Rumor has it that Motorcraft oil is Kendall oil, but I could not verify it.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think you are kinda lucky over there in the states to be able to get Honda motor oil, because over here in the UK no one seems to know anything about it; not even Honda UK who just say use 'Castrol'

Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
It is Conoco here in the states according to the dealer. They must of signed an agreement recently, before they had no clue. The new oils are either semi-synthetic or full synthetic. What I did not know is that there is a semi synthetic of 0w20. ConocoPhillips is a big supplier of base stocks and fuel additives like iso-octane for racing fuel and premium. I changed my oil at 7000 miles and except for it being a little dirty not a drop was missing. I use their bulk which is mainline semi-synthetic 5w20.

Thanks ServerService for the info. I feel better knowing what they use.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM
The stuff in the bottles are refined by CP but the dealership just buys whatever bulk oil is cheapest for their oil changes. I highly doubt the Fits, which are produced in Japan, uses CP as factory fill. Kendall is good oil however and I usually see it sold at O'reilly auto parts here in Illinois. Yes motorcraft is a CP product and so is Tropartic.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
It's all part of the Honda initiative to go 0W20 full synthetic. Honda has found a source in Conoco it seems. Soon 0W20 will be the universal grade of oil in all new cars.

Unless car guys get in front of the oil guys nothing changes. Soon after the present admin took the reigns the car guys were called into the office, much like the previous guy called in all the oil guys. The pressure is to increase auto economy and take full advantage of all the technology of synthetic lubes, batteries, hybrids and such.

Least that's how I see it. Production is up, the gate's been opened. Every days I see a brandy new Prius whisper by the house. Sweet, can't hear a thing.

joe bloggs I used to be a huge fan of Castrol back in the UK in the late 60's. Then Castrol GTX was my fav for years after I came back to the states. Haven't used it in a long time, however. Might just give it a go.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
It's all part of the Honda initiative to go 0W20 full synthetic. Honda has found a source in Conoco it seems. Soon 0W20 will be the universal grade of oil in all new cars.

Unless car guys get in front of the oil guys nothing changes. Soon after the present admin took the reigns the car guys were called into the office, much like the previous guy called in all the oil guys. The pressure is to increase auto economy and take full advantage of all the technology of synthetic lubes, batteries, hybrids and such.

Least that's how I see it. Production is up, the gate's been opened. Every days I see a brandy new Prius whisper by the house. Sweet, can't hear a thing.

joe bloggs I used to be a huge fan of Castrol back in the UK in the late 60's. Then Castrol GTX was my fav for years after I came back to the states. Haven't used it in a long time, however. Might just give it a go.
Your right about 0w20. But there is not that much difference between the 0w20 and 5w20. http://www.conocophillipslubricants....lsynthetic.pdf

Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Agreed, there's not much difference, but then again many of us see it differently than 98% of the consumer base.

When I brought my FIT home a good friend was very interested in seeing it.
He was familiar enough to pick up on the styling changes from earlier Fit's and was astonished to see 5W20 labeled on the oil filler.

Start talking about extended oil cycles and anything other than 5W30 and things get difficult for many to accept. Many still believe that synthetic oils are not to be trusted, more of a gimmick than anything.

Old habits are very difficult to break - you see the resistance on this forum time and again.
Folks do things a learned way because it makes them feel better.
Has nothing to do with new technology.

Sorry to bust into a new thread in search of the 'genuine' Honda Motor Oil, but I'm afraid it's a moving target and only what they might be selling at the time in that Honda bottle.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
7500 is not a extended oil drain any more. So far I have had no oil usage and or problems with there mainline oil.

It depends on the synthetic oil. Group 5 esters are very expensive and good for extended drains past the MM but is it cost effective.

There is a guy at 1 of my stops that uses 10w30 in his Accord and has to argue with the shop to put it in. He uses no oil and starts in the cold winter. 5w20 is OK for me and unless they force me to pay for the 0w20 I will continue to use it.

I was gonna say that other oil company's only have a 4000 mile warranty but that has changed so as long as the MM is not below 0, the oil is warrantied. I still believe that the dealer have to get the oil USA Honda says to. It makes sense because they get a discount when buying in volume.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I just posted this to inform everyone what exactly is the oil placed into Honda's retail bottles. Whether that oil is the best possible oil out there I dont know. However, Im one of those anal guys that wants the oil that Honda uses in their retail bottles and reccomends to be the oil placed into my crankcase. I hate "bulk oil" and prefer mine to be from the bottle.

BTW, Honda used Conoco only in the last few years. Before that they used a Japanese refiner called Idemitsu for the oil in the retail bottles.

Honda/Idemitsu 0W20 $3.50 + shipping - Bob Is The Oil Guy

I am of the philosophy that there are probably Honda chemists and engineers who have a reason they chose Conoco's oil over others such as Mobil 1. Mobil 1 certainly seems much cheaper ($25 5 quarts at the local Walmart) and more available. I dont think they chose Conoco for price reasons or availability. I know Toyota uses Mobil 1 in their retail bottles. Ford uses Conoco/Kendall oils in their Motorcraft oils. I know on the internet Kendall seems to be highly regarded.

Its just a matter of preference what you put in your crank. You might do well with the Mobil 1 from the Walmart. I feel better putting in the oil which Honda specifically recommends and endorses into mine.

Last edited by SevereService; 10-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
I was looking up Idemitisu oil and the oil is 10w30 and 15w40. Whats going on that the proper weight oil is so high. Engine Oil for VTEC Engines

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
I've been looking for Kendall as well and I could not find any. A quick search said Lowes used to carry it around my area but not anymore. H&A is a good deal if you live on the west coast otherwise the shipping is too high and makes the 0w20 Synthetic out to be like $9 a quart which could save more by buying a 5qt jug of M1 0w20 at Walmart. The post on BITOG shows a different bottle than what's posted on there now it looks like that was the last of the idemitsu oil and now they have the ConocoPhillips oil.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Deja Vu?

Didn't we just have this thread?

I thought it was titled "The Facts of Life about Oil Changes"...????

Geesh...put what you want in your vehicle and let's move on.....

Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
This thread is not instructing you what to put into your car. Its just an informational thread on the Honda Geniune Oil.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
And I for one appreciate it. Thanks for sharing the thoughtful analysis, SevereService.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by afreespirit
And I for one appreciate it. Thanks for sharing the thoughtful analysis, SevereService.
I agree Thank you for the post .

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Sure, I don't think SevereService is providing this information with any malice. I tend to disagree about the degree of importance in chosing "Honda Approved" Oil...or Honda labeled Oil...

I think any oil that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications is fine. Therefore who produces the "Honda Approved Oil" is inmaterial to me.

But if inquiring minds want to know? More power to you.

By the way, I've had two Oil Changes at two different Honda Dealerships. One used Honda Approved "bulk oil" and the other used some weird Eco-Friendly, semi-recycled Oil...unless I specified ( I had them put in Mobile One). So not even Honda Dealerships are 100% into using ONLY Honda oil...shh..don't tell Honda...

Old 10-15-2011, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
I've been researching the oil suppliers and Conoco Phillips is one of them. Most oil you buy comes from about 20 different base stock suppliers and is mixed to make their product. ExxonMobil, CITGO, ConocoPhillips and Castrol Announce Finished Lubricant Price Increases Look at the different groups on the right.

Conoco Phillips do make 0w20 semi synthetic oil and is sold under the TropArtic logo. http://www.conocophillipslubricants....0TDS%20Web.pdf. I guess that is where the confusion is.

I am happy with the mainline oil form Conoco at the dealer.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Trop Arctic oil is the ever elusive oil. There were threads on BITOG about getting it at the Dollar Store for $1 a quart. I remember a member on that site picked up 22 cases or 264 quarts of it! It's actually a decent oil too which makes it great. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Its been a long while since I've seen it too. I like this thread and the other one and made me look things up. I feel better knowing that Conoco is a great oil with the original pure base group II and with group III for added VI. ConocoPhillips Base Oil

Conoco supply's most of the base stock to other brands. Mobil has their own. Talked to gear heads like me and they say Walmart oil is Conoco and so is Motorcraft.

Someone on this forum a year or so ago was trying to say that the base stock are so much better now that you really do not have to worry about it. 99 percent saturated group II is good for me.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by fitchet
I think any oil that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications is fine.
I understand and think you are probably right on the money. It probably wont make much or any difference if you use Mobil 1 or the Honda Genuine Motor Oil or another quality brand. I did post the Consumer Reports article where they found no difference between the different brands. Im sure oil is a lot better today then it was in 1996 or then again it might be the same

There is a certain crowd out there, like myself, that just wants to use the oil which Honda specifically markets. I paid a lot of cash for this car and I would like to put in the oil which Honda specifically endorses. Im the type of guy that waxes the car every month and vacuums it out every week. I keep the seats covered and the floor mats are the rubberized version to protect the carpet from moisture. Im just very particular about my car and only want the fluids which Honda has blessed to be put in it.

Last edited by SevereService; 10-17-2011 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Honda Genuine Motor Oil- What it is and where to get it