Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

stock air box mod!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arsonall
wow, you really jumped to conclusions there, didn't ya? one person says "you sure about that?" and you dropped the ball. take it easier, we don't all have powerful cars, we're a little more laid back.
I'll let "sonorliteman" explain what he meant by his statement. I may be wrong about it, but you don't really know what he meant either.
A little more "laid back". I come here trying to explain something to you and you guys jump on me for being wrong and telling you something you don't want to hear. How "laid back" is that. Sorry, it just ain't worth it.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Ai ya... i understand the hot air thing... lets see if he dyno's his car, if he gets gains then great. if not, then oh well... it didn't cost him anything to do it, besides having a hole in his stock air box.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
xviper. "The ECU will then back off the timing. Guess what happens when the timing is backed off?"

The only time the timing is reduced is if the knock detector hears knocking. But the result is the same less power.
This is not entirely the case. If you get the intake air temps hot enough, the a/f gets leaned out to the extent that it will begin to reach the threshold of knock. Then the timing gets affected. You merely put in an intermediary step. The result is the same.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member
omg I give up. haha we're all wrong you're right. that's why my car runs like shit right now. (its running the best its ever ran)

Old 05-04-2007, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
It's like talking to a sac of turnips.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 AM
xviper, i think you're completely right but this mod could almost be just as good as a short ram intake except that the air box is right behind the radiator, which is full of hot air and you're right that hot air really robs hp. for every 7-10 degrees F lost in intake temperature you gain 1% more power. but the thing is once the car starts moving there is not as much hot air coming off of the radiator so what ever power he loses though heat he can make up in better flow, but he can easily run a dryer duct from the airbox straight down and avoid the radiator's hot air

Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
xviper, i think you're completely right but this mod could almost be just as good as a short ram intake except that the air box is right behind the radiator, which is full of hot air and you're right that hot air really robs hp. for every 7-10 degrees F lost in intake temperature you gain 1% more power. but the thing is once the car starts moving there is not as much hot air coming off of the radiator so what ever power he loses though heat he can make up in better flow, but he can easily run a dryer duct from the airbox straight down and avoid the radiator's hot air
Thank you for at least understanding what I was trying to put forth and for having a bit of reading comprehension to not read only what you want to see. My degrees were in Celsius, so you have confirmed my information. I'm not going to argue this anymore.
I've been given a warning. That's enough for me. This is my last post here. I'm logging off and I will not return. My first foray into this forum has been most disappointing.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by xviper
Thank you for at least understanding what I was trying to put forth and for having a bit of reading comprehension to not read only what you want to see. My degrees were in Celsius, so you have confirmed my information. I'm not going to argue this anymore.
I've been given a warning. That's enough for me. This is my last post here. I'm logging off and I will not return. My first foray into this forum has been most disappointing.
dude why do you have to be like that for man? this is what this site lacks is people like you that actually understand about cars. i've read your S2000 specs and it's super crazy and it really seems like what you are doing. Don't let the ignorant people on here keep you from expressing your knowledge about cars. they think that by putting on an intake they will gain like a thousand hp just because they can hear the difference and it plays tricks with their minds. but in reality they've only gain a few hp and a whole lot of noise. It's a shame to see you leave man.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM

hahahaa Finally he stops his bitching

Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I'll let "sonorliteman" explain what he meant by his statement. I may be wrong about it, but you don't really know what he meant either.
A little more "laid back". I come here trying to explain something to you and you guys jump on me for being wrong and telling you something you don't want to hear. How "laid back" is that. Sorry, it just ain't worth it.
Wow...didn't intend to start the flaming....xviper, all I was getting at was your statement of 3F per 1 hp. You are spot on in your argument, but my understanding was that it takes a bit more temperature to make that kind of impact, like 10-15 degrees or so, not a 3 degree change. That is all I was questioning (hence why I pinpointed this statement). I think you are correct in your concepts in general. There is a reason all OEMs are designing factory intakes to draw cold air. I'd even go so far as to argue that most new intakes are really not that restrictive either, for a stock engine. I have always wondered how much HP they really are giving up to reduce by x db interior noise. For some reason they think customers don't want to hear intake air. It doesn't bother me!

Sorry your first few posts have turned out this way....you'll find very quickly there are quite a few short fuses around here! Nonetheless, the forum is still very informative...just gotta turn on the 'nonsense filter'.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
dude why do you have to be like that for man? this is what this site lacks is people like you that actually understand about cars. i've read your S2000 specs and it's super crazy and it really seems like what you are doing. Don't let the ignorant people on here keep you from expressing your knowledge about cars. they think that by putting on an intake they will gain like a thousand hp just because they can hear the difference and it plays tricks with their minds. but in reality they've only gain a few hp and a whole lot of noise. It's a shame to see you leave man.
this site doesn't need ppl like him, we all enjoy new knowledge about our cars, but not in correct facts. it was more of an argument than some advice. and who said some1 was excepting a whole lot of hp? I was excepting more like 2-3 hp max, that's nothing big.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:15 PM
one of the 1st things i did to my Fit WAY back in the days... it made about 1.8 more to the wheels with cool sound... haha my hole was not that big though.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
oh and about the whole timing issue... this is true if the intake temps get really excessive on the Fit IE fans come on, on a hot day while your sitting a train intersection with a locomotive that never ends. on subarus intake temps are very sensitive and i would see the timing table all over the place with a short ram, especailly after a fan cycle.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
I would do this but car is still under warranty and the chances of getting shit into my engine would be doubled.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
you cant see it at all from the top, would b kinda hard to catch, and nothing gets into the engine, thats wat the filter is for...

Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by George02
you cant see it at all from the top, would b kinda hard to catch, and nothing gets into the engine, thats wat the filter is for...
But the pipe on the right. Isn't that the ducting which was used in conjunction with the stock airbox?

Are you planning to just run it the way it is now or are you going to use some piping so it feeds proper cold air into it rather then getting "warmish" air coming past the radiator.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kentris
But the pipe on the right. Isn't that the ducting which was used in conjunction with the stock airbox?

Are you planning to just run it the way it is now or are you going to use some piping so it feeds proper cold air into it rather then getting "warmish" air coming past the radiator.

no its jus another pipe which feeds air, I plan to leave that, and yes I plan to mod the box a bit so I dont get alot of that warm air. Just need to find something that will work with the box

Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
air box

Wouldn't this also cause the filter to get dirty faster. What's the use of the filter if there is obstruction from all the dirt and dust particles. I don't want to clean the filter that much even if it is a K & N drop in filter.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pokems23
Wouldn't this also cause the filter to get dirty faster. What's the use of the filter if there is obstruction from all the dirt and dust particles. I don't want to clean the filter that much even if it is a K & N drop in filter.
Well you could always strap like a wire mesh grill underneath which will stop big items being wedged into the filter.

I'm tempted to do this but the fact of the matter is, I'm too weary of the amount of dirt that will enter the panel filter is double that of when the box isn't modded.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
On another note, can you imagine the honda mechanic's face when he comes round to changing your filter when you take it in for service? LOL.

Oh yeah, george02, maybe this is something you might want to do. Looking at the picture, the edges of your work is a little rough, maybe it'd look a lot neater if you got like a black tube, cut it on one side and then wrap it around the edges so you get the rounded edge look. Just my 2p.

Last edited by kentris; 05-04-2007 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: stock air box mod!!!