Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:35 AM
So for now this looks like its going to be my oiling solution:

Derale remote fluid cooler and 7" fan
Derale Cooling Products 13730 - Derale Performance Econo-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Tilton 2GPH diff pump rated for 265*F and 60psi
Tilton Engineering 40-524 - Tilton Transmission and/or Differential Oil Cooler Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Moroso 1.5QT Accumulator
Moroso 23903 - Moroso Engine Oil Accumulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Remote filter adapter
Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1313 - Trans-Dapt Performance Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Coolant Temp and Oil Pressure gauge pod and sending units
Summit Racing SUM-G2924 - Summit Racing® Mechanical Analog Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Fram oil filter
Fram PH8A - Fram Extra Guard Oil Filters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Then just need to have a 4QT tank welded up, a handful of adapter fittings and some -4AN braided SS line.

Should be able to feed and cool all 3 turbos.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
So for now this looks like its going to be my oiling solution:

Derale remote fluid cooler and 7" fan
Derale Cooling Products 13730 - Derale Performance Econo-Cool Remote Fluid Coolers with Fans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Tilton 2GPH diff pump rated for 265*F and 60psi
Tilton Engineering 40-524 - Tilton Transmission and/or Differential Oil Cooler Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Moroso 1.5QT Accumulator
Moroso 23903 - Moroso Engine Oil Accumulators - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Remote filter adapter
Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1313 - Trans-Dapt Performance Oil Cooler Sandwich Adapters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Summit Coolant Temp and Oil Pressure gauge pod and sending units
Summit Racing SUM-G2924 - Summit Racing® Mechanical Analog Gauge Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Fram oil filter
Fram PH8A - Fram Extra Guard Oil Filters - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Then just need to have a 4QT tank welded up, a handful of adapter fittings and some -4AN braided SS line.

Should be able to feed and cool all 3 turbos.
I dig it. Kind of surprised to see you running FRAM filters though. I have always read studies showing the filtering ability while adequate isn't as good as some others. I assume by the use of the PH8 you are going for capacity though.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Yup, I expect the oil in this circuit will be pretty clean given there is no combustion blow-by to worry about a Fram will be fine, and I picked the bigger filter for this low volume set-up 5.5Qts including the Moroso Accumulator so there is less resistance to flow. I am afraid of over-working the Tilton as it is given I'll be using its full flow capacity at 70% of its rated operating pressure.

As I'm sure you know as pressure climbs in a fluid system volume tapers off.

Those journal bearing TD05H turbos are going to require 2-3l/each @ 30-40psi, a 2GPH is gonna be just about enough. I still don't know if they are going to be able to gravity drain or not yet, so there may be a second pump required to scavenge.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM
The next hurdle is going to be choreographing the 3 internal wastegates spread across 2 stages to work with 2 external gates on different stages.

Then it will be configuring and wiring the Dual ECU setup to run everything like stock while letting me do what I need do with timing and fuel.

After that is going to be the fuel system, which will ultimately require two big pumps, two rails, an adjustable regulator and a return line.

Charge-piping is going to look like spaghetti, and the exhaust piping all has to be shifted over to the passenger side to clear the rack and all the wiring and nonsense under the driverside.. while accomodating two downpipes, at least one dump from the 38mm external gate on the secondary turbine stage and then a 3.5-4" cut out activated via manual cable AND Hobbs pressure switch and then plumbing the remainder in to the stock cat pipe and stock cat back system to complete the sleeper look and sound when out of boost

Finally will be the meth system which will consist of at least 2, most likely 3 nozzles.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 03-26-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
The next hurdle is going to be choreographing the 3 internal wastegates spread across 2 stages to work with 2 external gates on different stages.

Then it will be configuring and wiring the Dual ECU setup to run everything like stock while letting me do what I need do with timing and fuel.

After that is going to be the fuel system, which will ultimately require two big pumps, two rails, an adjustable regulator and a return line.

Charge-piping is going to look like spaghetti, and the exhaust piping all has to be shifted over to the passenger side to clear the rack and all the wiring and nonsense under the driverside.. while accomodating two downpipes, at least one dump from the 38mm external gate and then a 3.5-4" cut out activated via manual cable AND Hobbs pressure switch and then plumbing the remainder in to the stock cat pipe and stock cat back system to complete the sleeper look and sound when out of boost

Finally will be the meth system which will consist of at least 2, most likely 3 nozzles.
Are you going to go with dual in tank setup I take it? I assume something like dual 255s?

There will be a ton of piping, that is no joke.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Well I am building the fuel system under the thought of doing it once and never again.. so that means supporting my eventual switch to methanol or E98.

Will require much more than a couple 255 wallys and I am still trying to spec some parallel pumps that will flow enough methanol under the combined BFP and Boost pressures I'll be looking at on kill mode.

So far the closest affordable option looks like a pair of Bosch 044s on a 40A Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump. Thats potentially still going to need a lift pump that'll flow a ton under low pressure between the tank and the 044s.

As you can see all this hardware and its cost is what is slowing me down the most lol

Already have pretty much everything designed and drafted out, its going to be purchasing and cost of fab, in addition to the fact I have other pressing projects going on delaying everything.

I am more excited about the Fit than the DSM or the Trike at this point though, especially as everything starts to come in and fall in line!

Tuning is going to be a real bitch, to be sure.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Well I am building the fuel system under the thought of doing it once and never again.. so that means supporting my eventual switch to methanol or E98.

Will require much more than a couple 255 wallys and I am still trying to spec some parallel pumps that will flow enough methanol under the combined BFP and Boost pressures I'll be looking at on kill mode.

So far the closest affordable option looks like a pair of Bosch 044s on a 40A Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump. Thats potentially still going to need a lift pump that'll flow a ton under low pressure between the tank and the 044s.

As you can see all this hardware and its cost is what is slowing me down the most lol

Already have pretty much everything designed and drafted out, its going to be purchasing and cost of fab, in addition to the fact I have other pressing projects going on delaying everything.

I am more excited about the Fit than the DSM or the Trike at this point though, especially as everything starts to come in and fall in line!

Tuning is going to be a real bitch, to be sure.
Rock on. Tuning will be a slut and a half.

I wish I had your fab skills. If I did I would probably already be trying to plan out a swap for the Fit. I need to pick up a decent MIG and start laying bead.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Spent a little time this morning, and plotted some data using current ambient conditions at my house and a few ballpark numbers for VE once the new cam is made and I have my custom intake and exhaust in hand.

Approximated initial and dynamic intercooler efficiency, turbine expansion ratios and plotted compressor flow and efficiency based on the documents and data I currently have on hand.

These are the numbers that came out for a simulated second gear stand still start from just off idle and rolling into WOT.

The fuel used was toluene/n-heptane blend so I could use the gas scale AFRs everyone is familiar with and give familiar mass fuel flow estimates and so far the numbers really make the case for adding a couple water/meth nozzles post-secondary compressor and pre-throttle body.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxi5...9jQVZTT3M/edit

Play around with it some and let me know what you guys think! Happy to answer any questions on this one!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 04-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Sadly I don't know enough at this point to make sense out of the complete data provided. I do know that is a lot of air flow as well as a ton of effective displacement under boost. Especially around 7-8k RPM.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Starts to really wake up around 6k, and pulls hard through 11.5k.

Did you see the WHP/WTQ and fuel table if you scroll down?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, I hadn't see that at first.

How high are you planning to spin?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Well theres how high I am designing the mechanical side to function, and how high the electronics will keep up with haha

I want to pull hard through 11k, and am having a cam made for this.

As it turns out there already exists an adjustable cam gear for the L15A1 overseas and I imagine that will help.

The stock ignition system, among other items, will probably hold me back. So it will be a process getting everything to cooperate.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:27 PM
More fun food for thought:

When the AEM was in the car with the GT2554, the top speed limited by the ECU Fuel Cut Limiter was 131-132mph @ 6600rpm in 5th gear.

This is backed up by an easy test which anyone in a state with 75mph limits can confirm.

The GD3 5MT is turning over almost exactly 3500rpm @ 70mph.

3500 * 2 = 7000

70mph * 2 = 140mph

6600/7000 = .943

.943 * 140mph = 132.02mph

This is where things get fun...

6600 * 2 = 13200rpm

132.02 * 2 = 264.04mph

11500/13200 = .8712

.8712 * 264.04 = 230.03mph

So if there is enough power to overcome aerodrag and nothing else gives up the ghost, you can do 230mph @ 11500rpm on the stock gearset/final drive.

I know for a fact it takes at least 530fwhp to break the 200mph barrier in the 1G DSM, and the GD3 has a considerably larger frontal area and a slightly greater coefficient of drag. So the 585fwhp potential of the cam, intake, exhaust and compressor setup I am putting together (as illustrated in the spreadsheet) may be just barely enough to hit 200 in the event I had enough real estate to wind it out.

The closest legal place is the Ohio Mile, but to do 200 in the mile usually requires running mid 9s@ 150+ mph in the quarter.

Which I am still trying to accomplish in the race car. So the odds of the Fit doing that anytime in the next couple years seems extremely unlikely unless a bunch of big money projects show up haha

Good to dream though.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
I've been following your thread here since you started it... So far the only thing that I'm not convinced you can do is get all of the oil, fuel and air plumbing located under the hood.. Locating the big to the rear, kissing the A/C and fog lights goodbye are about the only way to make anywhere near enough room... Yeah on second thought it is all possible.... I couldn't last very long during the hot months without A/C and that is messing me up on a FMIC and oil cooler w/fan... I also have a Beatrush panel going on it that would create problems but I'll figure out something... Now I'm going to order the Innovate F/R meter and hit the old fart sack.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
This next one's for you Dee:
Pre-compressor injection test results - DSM Forums

Goes back to what we were talking about a few months ago about pre-compressor injection on a radial fan.

Cliffs notes: Low boost dyno pulls (22-23psi) on a mid-50mm compressor wheel Holset HX35 on a 2.3L Ford.

No injection;
Before IC temp increase - 29 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.09 PSI
------------------------------------------------------
1GPH 50/50 mix;
Before IC temp increase - 19.1 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.0 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.88 PSI
1GPH H20;
Before ic temp increase - 24.2 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.4 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.21 PSI
1GPH Washer Solvent;
Before IC temp increase - 24 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.96 PSI
---------------------------------------------------
7GPH 50/50 mix;
Before IC temp increase - 16.9 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4.5 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.96 PSI
7GPH Water;
Before IC temp increase - 13 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 4.7 deg/sec <---no IC fan - OOPS!
Peak boost 22.92 PSI
7GPH Methanol;
Before IC temp increase - 19.3 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.5 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.0 PSI
7GPH Washer Solvent;
Before IC temp increase - 11 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.8 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.3 PSI
-----------------------------------------------------------
10GPH Methanol;
Before IC temp increase - 14.3 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.2 deg/sec
Peak boost 23.05 PSI
10GPH Washer Solvent
Before IC temp increase - 11.2 deg/sec
After IC temp increase - 3.4 deg/sec
Peak boost 22.71 PSI

This is pretty much my experience with it too, and the Buick GNX guys can say about the same.

This pays even bigger dividends as the boost goes up and more heat is available across the compressor wheel to evaporate water charge. Each setup has it's own sweet spot.

This bodes well for my setup where post-IC charge temps are still near-boiling for water. If I can pull 60-90*F out of the air by the top of the pull (which is realistic) there is a ton more power to be had as the charge density will increase dramatically and make for a more stable setup all around.

Without Water or Water/Meth injection and just a large efficient air to air cooler, I am leaving a ton of power on the table.

I am drawing up a new spreadheet as we speak to demonstrate this.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Now I am going to have to play with the numbers and see if I am better off with trying:

Spraying before each of the primary turbos
Spraying before the secondary turbo
Spraying before both stages
Spraying any combination of the above as well as pre-throttlebody
Spraying only at the throttle body

This could take a while...

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
I can't believe how you are able to come up with all of the figures that you do... I did understand the way you figured the top speed based on revs at 75MPH...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 PM
speaking of figures.. the conservative numbers I plugged in for just a wee bit o' water are looking reeaalll good.

Ill post up tonight when I get home

Old 04-16-2012, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
The more turbochargers you have to squirt the more power you are going to be putting out... I'm getting more into this now that I have the F/R on the way.. I'm thinking that if I have enough juice on board the under the hood I/C will be enough since the Cooling Mist kit can be activated progressively by boost and by the throttle position.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
I am following too. I just not sure the bottom end can handle the boost and rpms. I understand the cooling effect relieving the major damaging pressure(knock) but isn't the pistons made of powdered aluminum. Maybe I should start at the beginning and get caught up to refresh my memory.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 04-16-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: L15A running TD05H 14b + Water/Meth?