Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

OEM heat shield with aftermarket header?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 AM
OEM heat shield with aftermarket header?

I just got a WeaponR street header and I'm going to install it soon. I'm wondering if anyone has reinstalled the OEM heat shield after installing a header.

Of course, you couldn't use the stock mounting system, but I can probably figure out a way to do it if it's even possible.

I don't much care if nobody can see my header. I'm more interested in keeping the engine compartment as cool as possible.

thanks for any feedback,

ez

Old 04-19-2008, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
I reused the stock heat shield on my megan header for stealth and divert some of the heat off the coil packs like oem.

Before installing the header, I tack welded three threaded studs to the header flanges. I used the stock heat shield as a template on the new header to locate the stud locations before welding.

Not that hard to do if you have the header off the car and access to a mig/tig welder. Or just pay a muffler shop to do it for you.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Evotech8
I reused the stock heat shield on my megan header for stealth and divert some of the heat off the coil packs like oem.

Before installing the header, I tack welded three threaded studs to the header flanges. I used the stock heat shield as a template on the new header to locate the stud locations before welding.

Not that hard to do if you have the header off the car and access to a mig/tig welder. Or just pay a muffler shop to do it for you.

Thanks, that sounds like the right way to do it. I don't have access to a welder, but I know a good muffler shop.

ez

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by Evotech8

Do you happen to take any pics of this work?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, i'd like to see it as well!! sounds cool, and it'd probably fool a smog tech and it'd pass smog

Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
yeah i would like to see that soon aswell. i might be purchasing the race header that they have. pictures or ban....j/k

Old 04-22-2008, 02:54 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry, I wish I could of taken some pics before installing the header with stock heat shield, but i was in a hurry and my camera was broken at the time. Maybe i'll snap some pics when i get a new camera.

The stock heat shield pretty much hides the entire megan header from a top/side view in the engine bay. Very hard to notice anything is different from stock. I'm almost 100% positive you can pass the 'visual' part of the smog test with ease.