Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Fit Base and Sport radio differences?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Fit Base and Sport radio differences?

Hey guys, I am new on this board! Great site though. I did a few searches and came up inconclusive as to if the sport model radio would be a straight swap with the base model radio. I have an option of getting a sport model radio right now and if it isn't too much of a hassle to get it in, I will buy it. I was just wondering if anyone has any input or pictures of the backs of the decks, or if anyone has any experience in swapping the two radios. The main reason for the swap is to get an AUX jack

Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
I would doubt the base model has the wiring in the car for the aux input, so it may end up being more work than its worth. If you are going to change the radio, get an aftermarket one with an aux input, it will sound better than the stock radio as well. then swap out those cheap ass crappy oem speakers!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Yea, putting an aftermarket one would sound better but this is more of my dads car and he wants a stock look. If I were able to get that AUX input with the harness, I would think that I would be able to put it in. I was just wondering if the main harnesses were the same and if the sport had more pins or something. If everything is plug and play, I would get the sport radio anyways because it has MP# capabilities.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
the base model doesnt have an aux input. you would have to buy that, drill a hole, mount/wire. and also swap out the base model radio for the sport model.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
The base model is missing the aux port, wiring and plug. The base HU has the socket for the stock aux cable but no one has been able to get the plug outside of cannibalizing from a Sport. Forum members have soldered and bought single-wire connectors to get the aux port connected to the base HU successfully. Here's the thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-base-fit.html

The base HU also has a CD changer port. I bought a USB mp3 player/aux port off ebay that uses the CD changer port. Here's my thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...er-socket.html

Once I got the mp3 player, I didn't need the aux port - I simply put all my music on a usb flash drive.

The back of the base and sport HUs appear to be identical. The base HU does not support MP3s on CD nor does it have the equalizer. It doesn't have as much power because it has two fewer speakers but nothing indicates the base HU won't support the two tweeters if they were installed.

I have a theory the two units are identical except for the vehicle wiring and the extra speakers but I can't prove it.

Last edited by Rob22315; 07-07-2008 at 08:32 PM.