General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

AUX input on Base Fit radio.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM
AUX input on Base Fit radio.

Hi Gang,

Since I didn't get the Sport, my radio didn't come with the AUX input jack. A few questions:

- Does the Base model radio have an AUX input on the back that can be accessed? (There's a button for it.)

- If so, how easy is it to run a line out from the back of the radio to take advantage of AUX?

- Has anyone out there installed an iPod adapter down next to the 12-Volt (a.k.a. cig-lighter) plug?

Last edited by FitsThe18; 08-14-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsThe18
Hi Gang,

Since I didn't get the Sport, my radio didn't come with the AUX input jack. A few questions:

- Does the Base model radio have an AUX input on the back that can be accessed? (There's a button for it.)

- If so, how easy is it to run a line out from the back of the radio to take advantage of AUX?

- Has anyone out there installed an iPod adapter down next to the 12-Volt (a.k.a. cig-lighter) plug?
There are a couple of threads that address these but here's a quick synopsis -

If you don't want to remove the HU, the only thing you can reach is the CD changer socket on the back. You can plug a CD changer, an mp3 player, or an ipod adapter in the CD changer port. The mp3 players and ipod adapters I've seen include an AUX input similar to the SPORT AUX input that could be wired to look like the one next to the cigarette lighter. My thread on this is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...er-socket.html

If you remove the HU, the AUX port pins on the back of the HU can be used to install a headphone jack style AUX port. The AUX wiring uses a different socket than the CD changer which can't be reached without removing the HU. A DIY thread on adding an AUX port to the base HU is here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...-base-fit.html

Old 08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks. I may try to work up the courage to do this.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
I wonder how hard this actually is.
In Canada, all three (base, LX, Sport) models come with the aux jack.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitsThe18
Thanks. I may try to work up the courage to do this.
If you use the existing CD Changer jack, little courage is required since you don't have to pull the HU and no permanent changes are required unless you want to run an AUX jack to the stock location. The only courage is in spending the money on one of the units that work with the CD changer socket.

Pulling the HU is another matter entirely . . .

Old 08-17-2008, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I was also considering what the easiest and best option to improve my base fit radio was without having to rip out the radio from the dash. It was Rob22315's idea of getting the "usb/sd/aux" plug-in unit from China that I went with. The installation was somewhat timely and sometimes frustrating because of the tight space, but I was able to do it and am very happy with the mod. Now I never burn CDs and I'm more of a sd card friendly audio kinda guy. It's just so quick to add and remove songs from a card than changing it from a personal mp3 player and changing songs while driving with the deck controls themselves is a def. plus. To my ears, the sound quality is just the same as playing a regular cd in the deck.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Drag0na5h
The installation was somewhat timely and sometimes frustrating because of the tight space, but I was able to do it and am very happy with the mod. Now I never burn CDs and I'm more of a sd card friendly audio kinda guy. It's just so quick to add and remove songs from a card than changing it from a personal mp3 player and changing songs while driving with the deck controls themselves is a def. plus. To my ears, the sound quality is just the same as playing a regular cd in the deck.
Yeah, getting the plug into the back can be a little tricky but it's def easier than pulling the HU!!! The USB storage is so convenient, I'm considering tearing out the HU from my wife's car just to get a USB compatible one in.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
No doubt, "DRAG 'N DROP" feature is the way to go when you're always "ON THE GO."