Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

After install, big gap between faceplate and dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
After install, big gap between faceplate and dash

I bought a Kenwood receiver and this Fit faceplate kit from Crutchfield
Honda Fit In-dash Receiver Kit 2007-up; chassis sizes DD, E at Crutchfield.com

I had it installed at Bestbuy and after install, discovered a big gap between the bottom, underneath of the faceplate under the environmental controls and the dash as shown in this picture.

Tell me this is not normal and tell me what you think is happening. I took a picture of the old, now removed faceplate.

It looks like four mounting holes where I put the arrows and the insides are threaded. Is there an inside bracket that screws down to these holes to pull it tightly against the dash? If so, do you know if these holes are present on the Crutchfield faceplate kit? Unfortunately I did not take a picture of the faceplate before I had it installed and the crutchfield site only shows a picture of how it looks on the outside.

I am going back to Best Buy to speak to the installer tomorrow but hopefully somebody here might be able to arm me with some information on what is going on before I do.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:16 PM
looks like it's clipped tight on the sides. is there anywhere that you can actually see that has a gap or looks off?..do the contrills feel loose?

Old 08-30-2008, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
The controls feel all right and the gap is all along the bottom as shown in the picture. You can move the faceplate around pretty easily in that area. It definitely looks like something is not snapping into place but I don't know if it has something to do with the install or the faceplate kit itself is not designed right. Wonder if the faceplate kit is from Honda or another manufacturer.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:07 PM
why not take it back to bestbuy and tell them to fix it?
edit: n/m saw you're going back tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Yes I am however I was hoping someone might have experience with the Crutchfield faceplate kit and could say whether or not it is definitely an install problem.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
I recently saw a Scosche kit like that. On the top, it didn't align for shit. Ooof!

Old 08-31-2008, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
Are you sure the hvac controls are screwed all the way into the replacement faceplate? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:25 AM
I saw a thread a while back explaining this gap and how to fix it. I believe you have to trim down the alignment tabs as well as the female screw studs next to them as shown in your picture. In some kits, these tabs were too long and created this gap. I thought Metra fixed this issue some time ago. Maybe they shipped you old stock.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:42 AM
those holes that you have arrows pointing at is where the actual environment controls bolt up to. try re-attaching the control pod to the face plate and make sure all 8 of the attatching screws are tight

Old 08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member

I came across this recently.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:44 AM
Yikes!! That's ugly.... My Scosche kit had the same fitment problem in the upper right corner. I went to the dealer and purchased new oem (7) clips. That took care of 99% the gap. As far as the bottom gap is concerned, looks as if the controls aren't mounted properly to the back of the kit or the alignment tabs are not fitting correctly.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
I had an extra Metra kit and used those clips for my Scosche kit. It was better than the kit above. I don't remember what is going on in the backside of that thing other than three cables to the A/Cheat controls.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 PM
wow top gap too. I'm guessing they didn't align the HVAC controlls properly in the back and probably lost just about ALL your OEm radio clips. not a tough fix.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
With mine, Best Buy installer says it has to do with the faceplate kit and he can't make it any tighter. Says he's seen some really bad aftermarket faceplate kits and this isn't so bad. That is why I hope to hear from someone else who has installed the same faceplate kit from Crutchfield.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by geepondy
With mine, Best Buy installer says it has to do with the faceplate kit and he can't make it any tighter. Says he's seen some really bad aftermarket faceplate kits and this isn't so bad. That is why I hope to hear from someone else who has installed the same faceplate kit from Crutchfield.
Contact Crutchfield. Have them send you another dash kit or better yet, spend a few extra dollars and get the scosche kit.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Bad/ Very inexperienced installer. The absolute biggest problem with ebstbuy is they will hire anyone with a certification. Having anMECP basic installer certification is quite easy to obtain. UNFORTUNATELY thatcert only proves that you are safe to work on cars.. not necessarily skilled enough or experienced enough...there are FAR FAR too many installers out there who seriously have no clue what they are doing and just larn as they go along with out an experienced person to help them out/Teach them.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
This is the scosche kit, please review my thread on how to properly install a indash kit. the pieces that you pointed out have to be cut shorter.

I measured everything, and everything fit fine.

THe top right area wont fit properly either, replace the clips from your original stereo, and that will get the best fitment...

I never knew that bestbuy carried Scosch kits... they have all metra kits.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
This is the scosche kit, please review my thread on how to properly install a indash kit. the pieces that you pointed out have to be cut shorter.

I measured everything, and everything fit fine.

THe top right area wont fit properly either, replace the clips from your original stereo, and that will get the best fitment...

I never knew that bestbuy carried Scosch kits... they have all metra kits.
I believe geepondy is referring to the Metra kit from Crutchfield. The picture further down the thread is from another install.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well,, he has yet to take any real pictures for us to see. There are only two aftermarket faceplate makers, Metra and Scosche, no matter what name is on the bag, the design is just retagged for the person selling it.

I can't see which faceplate it is, if it has the alignment issue up top to be a Scosche, if it's the metra kit, someone forgot to screw in the AC controls into the "threaded holes" .

So with the information we have, we can only say and do so much to help.

Quick Reply: After install, big gap between faceplate and dash