Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Skunk2 spring noise help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Skunk2 spring noise help!

Ok, here goes: I installed the Skunk2 lowering springs on my '08 Fit Sport and followed the tutorial from this forum. Had no problems except with front driver's axle popped out, but after removing both the transmission and wheel hub boots I slid it back in fine and replaced the boot clips. Take it for a test drive and have a clunking noise from the front that occurs when hitting small bumps and even turning side to side quickly. I can also rock the car side to side while it's parked and make the clunking noise. I've gone back and double checked everything to make sure it's tight and springs are seated in the perches. Even tried some clear tubing between the spring and perch. Still have the clunking noise one week later! I checked the front springs and they will not go in writing rightside up so I had to install them with writing upside down as said in this forum. What is causing this noise? I had the alignment done by Firestone and they said they didn't see any problems with the install and that all lowering springs make noise. I'm worried that I did something when removing the boots. I removed the wheel hub side without knowing that I was supposed to only do the tranny side, and upon doing the tranny side there were 3 bearings which I put back on and it slid into place. The car has been driving fine, but could there be something wrong with the axle? I really want to get rid of this noise, and if I can't then I have to put the stock springs back on because it sounds terrible. Please help!

Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Fa1
Are you sure the bolt that holds the spring top hat in place is fully tight? I've had this happen on another car which caused the spring top hat to clunk against the bolt.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Yes, triple checked everything is tight. Could it just be a bad set of springs? I can actually twist the spring out of the perch while it's mounted in the car when it's jacked up with wheel removed. It's like it's not putting enough pressure on the top and bottom perches, but I tightened it as tight as it will go.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Fa1
If it's coming out of the perch then I believe its not tight enough at the top. You need to hold the shock with an allen key and keep it from spinning and wrench it tight if you haven't already done so.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Yes, I tightened it so much that the torque broke my allen wrench! So I know it's tight, I think the springs are just too short or something, unless I need an airgun. I'm having a mechanic look at it tomorrow, but if he can't figure it out I'm gonna send the springs back for a replacement if I can.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
Fa1
The only other thing I can think of is tightening the top nut within the engine bay under load. But I'm guessing you just got a set of defect springs or something.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone dealt with skunk2 warranty exchange or had defective springs? This is so frustrating because they look sooooo good, but now my new car sounds like a clunking junker.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:31 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
im running skunks and i had to install mine with writing upside down aswell. i used jackstands on the hubs to keep the axles supported so i didnt have problems in that area. my rear springs squeaked a lil bit the first 2 weeks but its fine now.. i would take the axle out and pop it back in before i see a mechanie about it tho ... i rather retrace allll my steps then pay someone to fix a mistake you could be overlooking.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Problem Solved

Just wanted to let you guys know what the problem was for anyone needing future reference. On the driver's side, when I first installed the strut I only had that side jacked up-this made it difficult to get the sway bar back in the mount on the strut. After putting a lot of pressure on it and twisting it, I finally got it back in. Somehow this loosened the BOTTOM sway bar bolt which you do not even touch during the install. That is what was rattling and making the noise. So, that's one thing you might check if you're having noise even though you didn't personally loosen that bottom bolt. However, it makes it much easier to get the sway bar back in line with the strut if you jack both sides of the car up at the same time. Thanks for everyone's help. LOVE THE SPRINGS NOW!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
so you put excess pressure on the bar and stripped the bracket bolt's threads?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Fa1
What I did was bolt the strut in with only one side jacked up. Then I jack the bottom of the knuckle to line up the strut hold with the endlink. Goes in easy.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Nothing ended up being stripped, but somehow that pressure loosened the bottom bolt. I was able to tighten it easy with an allen wrench and 14mm open end. I also jacked the bottom of the knuckle as Fa1 said and it helped, but I still had a hard time getting it to line up, maybe I had the wheel turned or something.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
having the wheel turned helps get clearance to pull out the strut with minimal risk of pulling the axle out.
i'm glad you figured out what was making the noise. i was keeping an eye on that bottom bolt, i thought something like that could happen.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Why u guys afraid to remove axle from hub? Im not making fun of here just trying to help. I work on cars for a living hehe.

Last edited by FITTECH; 03-14-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 PM
I thinks its because you aren't expecting anything to move in that direction and then its like "POP"! I didn't worry about it that much either. Glad you figured out the source of the noise. The reason you had such trouble is the sway bar was doing its job with only one side jacked up. It was preventing sway! I put the front up on jack stands when I did mine, made the whole job 100% easier.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Just installed my Vogtland springs tonight... took about 4 hours as the tripod joint from the passenger side Axle-Shaft popped out... It was a complete PITA to reinstall it back as i had to remove the entire knuckle to have the Axle popped out with a hydrolic press... Not to mention it was my first time on a Honda... so different then a Neon! Anyway, i absolutely love thems but i would have preferred if the rear end of the car would have been lower a little... I think the ride is better then stock!! But i have some kind of noise too, not a knocking noise but kinda like a Damaged wheel bearing and only at lower speeds... Any ideas?

Marko!!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ if it's coming from the rear turn the spring on that side so that it doesn't rub the spring carrier wall.

if it's coming from the front, not sure. never had a damaged
bearing noise from any spring work. i know wat a damaged
wheel bearing sounds like.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Well i brainstormed on it today and i think i'm gonna wait to see if the noise disseapear when i'm gonna have my front end aligned!! :P Excessive Toe + winter tires = not sure but maybe noise!! :P

Marko!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by red08fit
Just wanted to let you guys know what the problem was for anyone needing future reference. On the driver's side, when I first installed the strut I only had that side jacked up-this made it difficult to get the sway bar back in the mount on the strut. After putting a lot of pressure on it and twisting it, I finally got it back in. Somehow this loosened the BOTTOM sway bar bolt which you do not even touch during the install. That is what was rattling and making the noise. So, that's one thing you might check if you're having noise even though you didn't personally loosen that bottom bolt. However, it makes it much easier to get the sway bar back in line with the strut if you jack both sides of the car up at the same time. Thanks for everyone's help. LOVE THE SPRINGS NOW!
Can someone post a pic of this bolt.. im having the same problem!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
never mind... so the the left side bottom sway bolt was loose about 3/4 a turn. tighted it and all my problems were solved. And for user GIMMIE: I didnt need your help anyway!

Quick Reply: Skunk2 spring noise help!