Fit Wheels & Tires Discuss Wheels & Tires for the Fit and Jazz

TPMS Info

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS Info

I'm trying to get together all the TPMS info I can find into one thread. I'll keep updating it as I find more info.

Canadian Fits do not have TPMS.

'07 Fits do not have TPMS.

'08 Fit TPMS Parts:

Nut Tightening Torque: 35 In-Lbs

TPMS Sensor: Honda # 42753-SWA-306
Washer (Grommet): Honda # 42756-STK-A01
Nut: Honda # 42754-STK-A01

OE Manufacturer: Pacific
TPMS Sensor : Pacific # ?PA66-GF33?

Aftermarket Manufacturer: Dill
TPMS Sensor: Dill # 1208
TPMS Kit: Dill # 1100K

------------

'09 Fit TPMS Parts:

Nut Tightening Torque: 35 In-Lbs

TPMS Sensor: Honda # 42753-SNA-A83
Washer (Grommet): Honda #
Nut: Honda #

OE Manufacturer: TRW
TPMS Sensor: TRW # ?217652-101?

Aftermarket Manufacturer: Dill
TPMS Sensor: Dill #
TPMS Kit: Dill # 2040K

------------

Honda PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) TPMS activation procedure (from TSB):

------------

Activating new (replacement) sensors:

Basically you need dealer tools to do this. The basic procedure seems to be:
- Starting at the front left tire, go clockwise around the vehicle waking up each sensor (by sending it a 125khz signal) and recording the sensor ID# it transmits back
- Plug your tool into the OBD2 port and upload the sensor ID#s into the ECU
- Drive around for a bit

Unfortunately this means that anytime we want to, for example, put (TPMS equipped) winter rims on our cars we need to make a trip to the dealer to update the ECU with the different ID#s.

Since dealers currently seem to charge ~1hr = ~$100 for this, I would recommend that anyone buying a new TPMS equipped vehicle that is thinking of running snow tires to push for two free TPMS re-activations per year when they negotiate with their dealer.

TRW sensor activation guidelines:

Last edited by JCLW; 11-23-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Some good generic TPMS info: http://www.artsautomotive.com/TPMS.htm
College Hills Honda - Mounting TPMS sensors in older wheels video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZgU67Ezd0

TRW TPMS installation guides for Honda:
Fixed Angle Installation: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...al%20Mount.pdf
Fixed Angle Reuse: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...nd%20Reuse.pdf
Adjustable Angle Installation: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...al%20Mount.pdf
Adjustable Angle Reuse: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...le%20Reuse.pdf
Tire Dismounting: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...ismounting.pdf
Tire Mounting: http://www.entire-solution.com/Engli...20Mounting.pdf

Last edited by JCLW; 10-22-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Former Vendor
Great info!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure where to post---we have an 2008 and it does not have TPMS installed is this possible?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:12 PM
maybe cause it's Canadian?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Interstate526
maybe cause it's Canadian?
Hmm you are right just checked the manual we don't have it in canada. Which is good as I plan to sell my stock alloys/tires.
Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 10:03 PM
does anyone know if you can put 09 wheels on an 08 and still use the 09 sensors?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is soooooo screwed on how they can bastardize such a simple process. I had a VW Toureg and all you had to do was scroll thru the steering wheel buttons to reset/learn any new pressures and drive. THATS ALL!

Now on my Fit and Pilot... Don't get me started. I should have come here BEFORE I bought and installed new sensors for my Fit.

I brought my Pilot to the dealer to have snows mounted on the stock rims. In the spring I will buy new dedicated summer tires and rims, with TPMS? I also brought in my new (stock) Fit wheels to have my new snows and new TMPS mounted and installed...

AFTER this is all done my service rep kindly informs me that for the TPMS to work on the new Fit Snows (or spring Pilot summer set) I will have to spend $100 each time the tires/rims are swapped from summer to winter or back again... $200 per CAR per YEAR! You got to be F*@KING kidding me!

I would have had the sensors taken off the stock Pilot rims when the snows were mounted IF I had known and just used them on the new summer wheels. And never would have bought them for the Fit snows...

Old 12-01-2008, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
Honda is soooooo screwed on how they can bastardize such a simple process. I had a VW Toureg and all you had to do was scroll thru the steering wheel buttons to reset/learn any new pressures and drive. THATS ALL!

Now on my Fit and Pilot... Don't get me started. I should have come here BEFORE I bought and installed new sensors for my Fit.

I brought my Pilot to the dealer to have snows mounted on the stock rims. In the spring I will buy new dedicated summer tires and rims, with TPMS? I also brought in my new (stock) Fit wheels to have my new snows and new TMPS mounted and installed...

AFTER this is all done my service rep kindly informs me that for the TPMS to work on the new Fit Snows (or spring Pilot summer set) I will have to spend $100 each time the tires/rims are swapped from summer to winter or back again... $200 per CAR per YEAR! You got to be F*@KING kidding me!

I would have had the sensors taken off the stock Pilot rims when the snows were mounted IF I had known and just used them on the new summer wheels. And never would have bought them for the Fit snows...
I think TPMS is a joke on any vehicle.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 PM
can you just not have the sensors, and just clear the warning light on the dash?

Old 12-23-2008, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think my TPMS even works... I've never had the light come on (lucky me right?). I just went to a tire shop and had the tpms taken out of my stock wheels so I can put them into my new wheels which I'll be getting later on today. So I'm driving home with all 4 tpms sensors in a box on my passenger seat and the tpms light didn't even come on, even though they weren't in the wheels.

Maybe they only send a signal when there is LOW pressure. But when there is NO pressure or SUFFICIENT tire pressure, then the light won't turn on.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
AFTER this is all done my service rep kindly informs me that for the TPMS to work on the new Fit Snows (or spring Pilot summer set) I will have to spend $100 each time the tires/rims are swapped from summer to winter or back again... $200 per CAR per YEAR! You got to be F*@KING kidding me! ...
OMG, this is rediculous. I'm so glad my wife won the argument for buying just winter tires and mounting them on the stock rims. I've got 16" rims on my '09 Fit Sport and I was arguing that we should buy a set of 15's, snow tires, and a set of TPMS sensors. My argument was supported mainly by the idea that we would save money. MAN, WAS I WRONG.

I guess those of us who use winter tires and didn't get the Fit w/ Navigation should be glad that Honda didn't include VSA (vehicle stability assist) on our cars. I've got a friend with a Honda (Accord I think) who's having issues with his TPMS and new winter tires as well. The dealer can't seem to get his new sensors to play well with the TPMS system. What's worse, apparently when the TMPS light goes on, the VSA goes off.

Last edited by notorious.dds; 01-04-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
I thought that when the TPMS light was on, VSA was stuck on (for those vehicles where you can turn it on & off).

Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCLW
I thought that when the TPMS light was on, VSA was stuck on (for those vehicles where you can turn it on & off).
I'm no expert in this area. My post was based upon what my friend learned from his Honda dealer. However, it sounds as though his dealer is clueless about the TPMS activation procedure in which case I ought not put too much stock in their knowledge about VSA.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Wow, good information. It looks like if I replace the factory wheels on my 09 base fit w/no VSA, I can either a) pay a honda dealer to reinstall them or b) throw them in the glove box and forget about them.. Sound right?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by joekr
Wow, good information. It looks like if I replace the factory wheels on my 09 base fit w/no VSA, I can either a) pay a honda dealer to reinstall them or b) throw them in the glove box and forget about them.. Sound right?
I'm not sure that I follow your question completely.

However, based upon what's written in this thread, if the wheels that you put on your car have anything other than the TPMS sensors that came with the wheels that were originally on your car, you will either:
A) have a TPMS light that stays lit all the time, or
B) have to pay your dealer approx. $100 to reprogram the ECU to recognize the new TPMS sensors. (assuming that you didn't choose to simply go without sensors at all)

If you're just putting on new wheels and plan on leaving it that way, it might be worth the one-time $100 service fee. But, if you're putting on winter tires with a dedicated set or rims, you're going to have the same problem in the spring when you want to put the summer tires (with the old sensors) back on. In this case, you're going to get dinged $100 each spring and then again each fall.

Depending upon what you're trying to do, it may also be possible to get the original sensors out of your old wheels and into the new ones. Although, assuming this is doable, this would really only be useful if your goal is get the new wheels on and leave it that way. If you're trying to create a set of winter tires on dedicated rims, don't bother.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Ok, now I get it. Hopefully I can reuse the sensors out of the old wheels and move (or have them moved by a Honda dealership) to the new rims..

Appreciate the explanation.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Question To TPMS or not, that is the question...

Here's my quick story, my rims and wheels were jacked about 2 weeks ago. I have some aftermarket (new) rims and wheels. Of course, my TPMS light is on, because the TPMS was not re-installed.

My question is this...do I even *need* the TPMS? It sounds like a big (expensive) hassle. I just need to get the TPMS light turned off on my dash, and I would be all set.

Advice?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Think of it like this. The TPMS sensor in each of the wheels has a unique ID. If you put in new sensors, you'll have four new ID's. The cars ECU (computer) is programmed to recognize only four specific ID's. Now that you have 4 new sensors, your ECU is still looking for the ID's of the old sensors. Because it can't find them, it gives you the TPMS light. Thus, the only way to get the light off is to have the ECU reprogrammed to recognize the new ID's. This is typically done at the dealer and can cost as much as $100 (based on what I've read).

With that said, if you leave the light on, it just means that you won't have the benefit of your car warning you when you have a tire pressure problem.

Originally Posted by Stadol
Here's my quick story, my rims and wheels were jacked about 2 weeks ago. I have some aftermarket (new) rims and wheels. Of course, my TPMS light is on, because the TPMS was not re-installed.

My question is this...do I even *need* the TPMS? It sounds like a big (expensive) hassle. I just need to get the TPMS light turned off on my dash, and I would be all set.

Advice?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Question TPMS replacement - it is *really* necessary?

I'm leaning towards thinking that I can just keep track of my tire pressure myself! Don't really think I **need** the TPMS.

Also, even after the ins. settlement, I definitely do not have the $$ to go over to my local (rude!) Honda dealship, and say: "Hey, you know that whole TPMS situation? Install all of that on my car, because I have nothing." I kinda feel like I would be giving them money to install something that I don't need in the first place?

Has anyone out here turned off/had removed their TPMS? What was your experience? It just doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. The car handles fine with the aftermarket rims and tires, so I'm pretty pleased!

Sorry if I sound a bit snotty about the whole thing, but it sounds kinda like a "HondaScam" to get my hard-earned monies!

Thanks for listening.

Quick Reply: TPMS Info