General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Thule 917 T2 bike rack with Hidden Hitch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Thule 917 T2 bike rack with Hidden Hitch??

Has anyone or does anyone know if this bike rack will work on our Fits with the Class 1 - 1 1/4" Hidden Hitch?

I need to get some sort of rack system for my fit and I am really interested in getting this one. The tongue weight rating on the Hidden Hitch is 200lbs... The Thule T2 1.25" rack weighs 60lbs, and my 2 downhill mountain bikes weigh 90lbs. This brings my total weight to 150lbs, which is well under the 200lb rating.

My question is that the only hitch offered to the Fit is a Class 1 (1.25"), and the Thule rack says it is a Class 2 (1.25").... the only difference I could find was that the Class 2 hitch has a tongue weight of 300lbs.

Has anyone used this rack on their Fit? or something like it?

Old 05-16-2007, 10:07 PM
So, I made an appointment at a local shop here for JUNE 9th.

Not sure that anyone has done this before, but I am going to have a custom welded 2" hitch reciever mounted to my Fit. I was on the fence about doing this cause well..... its a Fit. But, I am doing this for the reason of being able to use a big and sturdy bike rack, The Thule T2 916 2" Bike Carrier. I'm not going to tow anything or try to... I just need it to carry a couple of heavy downhill mountain bikes.

My friend had this done to her 2006 VW GTi and she says its as hard as a rock and is super strong.

The cost isn't bad at all.. 250CDN to have one made up and installed... Once I get this done I will post some pics and let you all know how it turned out!

Here's a picture of my bike btw... Some will really appreciate her (40lbs), others will just wonder what the heck it is

Last edited by YeeFit; 05-16-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:49 PM
dude.... a santa cruz.... thats a dope bike. and very $$$$ indeed
im sure you will have no problem with the mounting of the bike rack. Your not towing anything. I am sure you will be fine.

funny i see this. i was just thinking the same thing too just a few hours ago. but nothing like what you want. Just something that I can attatch to the hatch or something with straps. i dont know i never owned any kind of external bike carrier.
I dont want to risk the interior scratching some plastic with my bike getting it in and out.
I have a trek road bike thats been collecting dust for a past while and I wanna get in shape (i took it earlier to get a tune up)and now i have a nice car to drive me to good road areas:-)

good luck

~abe

Old 05-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I probably wouldn't recommend the hatch rack.. they tend to put a lot of stress to the rear hatch and can scratch the exterior paint, not to mention that the bike usually sits close to the car and your pedals can scratch your car that way too.

If you're carrying a lighter bike, get the hidden hitch 1.25" class 1 hitch and use a hitch mount rack... only reason I am going to this extreme is cause I am carrying bigger heavier bikes..

Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have a iron horse 6pt, i use a bike rack, but it sways back and froth. How much does the hitch run?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 AM
you recommend not getting one of those...
I will take your word for it pal. really.I didnt know they could scratch up your car. It wouldnt be too much strain either. Bike only weighs about 20-22 lbs.

I usually have at least two moving pads/blankets in my car for any purpose. so i will wrap my bike in that as in I do with anything that i know will harm the interior or fabric. Ill just stick to "utility" or tall mode if it fits without the front rim.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by dank24
I have a iron horse 6pt, i use a bike rack, but it sways back and froth. How much does the hitch run?
Hitches range from 75-100 dollars for the Class 1 1.25" ones... you can find them on etrailer.com.

No one makes a 2" or Class 2 1.25" for our cars, that is why I am getting on custom made for my car to hold the Thule T2 2" bike carrier.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
post up how much it runs u when u get everything done.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:48 AM
I can fit this in the fit... i have to take off the front wheel... but it fits

Downhill = total ownage

Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by dank24
post up how much it runs u when u get everything done.
The company that I am going to said it would cost no more than 300 Canadian, but it will be around 250 he said.

But I will post final numbers and pics once it is all done.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
YeeFit,

those old V-10s rock! your bike is sweet for sure. I'm currently set up with a 1 1/4 hitch I bought from etrailer.com along with a yakima bighorn 4. I'm always loading it up with downhill rigs I've made several 400 mile trips to mammoth with 3 downhill bikes, 3 people, and gear in the car with no problems. Only negative is that the rear squats so much and gas mileage suffers but that's to be expected.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM
So I drove over to the shop that is going to do my hitch just to make sure that having a custom 2" hitch installed was possible.

Well, it is, but I have to make the decision of either wanting it to look hidden and clean by allowing them to cut out the under side of my rear bumper, or have it all visible and ugly looking by not cutting the rear bumper....

I really think that I should just try the Hidden Hitch 60847 1.25" Class 1.. on the Thule website it states that with the 917 T2 rack, A class 1 hitch can be used to hold no more than 100lbs for 2 bikes which is actually more than I would ever need...

The hidden hitch is a simple bolt on.. no cutting no welding.. maybe its best I go that route.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
It will handle it

Those companies intentionally underestimate the capacities of their products, to cover their assets in case some moron tries to haul 55 gallons of pesticide back there. Couple of bikes, no problem. If anything, IF you're having a custom hitch made, you could use solid bar instead of tubing, or either a heavier-wall tubing, for the inner slide section. Just a thought. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2007, 10:35 PM
I ended up ordering the Hidden Hitch 1.25" Class1 hitch for my Fit sport... I actually just recieved and email from Hidden Hitch saying that they don't recommend using their hitch for bike racks.. Frickin great!

why would the say this? If the tongue weight is 200lbs max on the hitch and the bike and rack I am carrying only equals between 100-140 lbs combined I would assume that this would be more than sufficient.

Thule stated that their 1.25" rack can be used on a class1 hitch.. and the 2 bikes on it can not equal more than 100lbs. I am well within the limits of this hitch and rack..

how many fit owners out there have carried bike on the 1.25" hitch? Can someone else verify that my 10k mountain bike won't fall off the hitch?!?!?!?!

Old 06-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Banned
Something Interesting and expensive-- answers all of your needs in carrying bikes, kayaks, canoes, skis, you name it---

RackandRoll trailer and carrier rack for Kayaks, Canoes, Bikes and Outdoor Gear - Home

Perfect with hidden hitch Class 1.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by YeeFit
I ended up ordering the Hidden Hitch 1.25" Class1 hitch for my Fit sport... I actually just recieved and email from Hidden Hitch saying that they don't recommend using their hitch for bike racks.. Frickin great!

why would the say this? If the tongue weight is 200lbs max on the hitch and the bike and rack I am carrying only equals between 100-140 lbs combined I would assume that this would be more than sufficient.

Thule stated that their 1.25" rack can be used on a class1 hitch.. and the 2 bikes on it can not equal more than 100lbs. I am well within the limits of this hitch and rack..

how many fit owners out there have carried bike on the 1.25" hitch? Can someone else verify that my 10k mountain bike won't fall off the hitch?!?!?!?!
I had a 1.25" hitch installed on my new Fit sport. I had the installer add some extra bolts to secure the hitch to the car's frame better, and I have a Thule 917 rack on the way. I may have him install a 6" riser to the rack to raise it up enough that it won't scrape on my driveway, and on dirt roads.

I borrowed a friend's Yakima hitch rack for a trip to Utah for 9 days. We drove 300 miles, and hit a few rough dirt roads along the way, and the hitch worked fine.

Here's a few pictures of the "borrowed" set up, and I'll post shots of my new rack once it's installed.

https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/alb...28Large%29.JPG
https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/alb...8Custom%29.JPG
https://www.fitfreak.net/gallery/alb...8Medium%29.JPG

Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
I can fit this in the fit... i have to take off the front wheel... but it fits

Downhill = total ownage
Wow, that is exactly (without the tie-downs) what I wanted to do with the Fit - build a fork mount with a rail and put my road and tri bikes in the back like that. I don't really like the external racks and wish I could have a set-up like some guys do in their minivans. They have it all set up like a team support vehicle inside.

Since I'm sure the wheelbase of a downhill bike is a lot longer than my road bikes, I was wondering how much the rear tire protrudes into the front seat area? My tri bike measures 52" or so with the front wheel taken off.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Any thoughts on upgrading rear shocks to meet the additional weight of the Hitch?

Also anyone do a roof rack and speak to the areodynamics of each method of bike rack? (roof vs hitch)

I would prefer a roof rack, but am concerned about how the car would handle.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by morty
Any thoughts on upgrading rear shocks to meet the additional weight of the Hitch?
Shock absorbers do not carry any weight, they only dampen the motion of the suspension. The springs do carry the weight of the vehicle and can be upgraded, but I am only aware of stiffer springs that also lower the car. I don't know if you can find stock height spings that are a higher spring rate.

Eric

Old 06-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Also, do the bikes in back obscure the Brake lights at all?

Quick Reply: Thule 917 T2 bike rack with Hidden Hitch??