General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Condensation Probelm!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Condensation Probelm!!!

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. When it is cold out around 30 degrees (Farenheit) there is a thick sheen of water on the inside of my wind sheild. There are large droplets of water that collect on the windshield inside the car. This has happened to me three times now. I took it to the dealer today and at first they told me there was nothing wrong with the car I told them that there was indeed something wrong, they eventually agreed to keep the car over night to see if they could duplicate he problem. So has any one else had problems with water on the inside of their car ?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
I did before ... do you use the winshield defroster setting of air ??

If so, the AC is on by default on the two air settings that involve the winshield. My windows kept getting frozen from inside but when i remove the AC from the two settings, the ice stopped comming.

This also happens to me during winter, if i put the ac on on the winshield, and then i take it off .. condensation starts to build up really fast and i have to use ac to keep it away..

For me, ac in the winshield is like a syntetic oil that , once you use, you cannot get rid off.

Dunno if this helps.

There are some posts on the forum that will help you remove the "automatic" ac setting using the two winshield defrosting air modes (winshield and foot, winshield only)

Old 12-13-2007, 01:07 AM
That happened to me a couple of years ago in my 01 civic coupe, me and my GF were in the car (no hanky panky this time) and we feel asleep talking when we woke up it was like the car had a wet dream! turns out (well from what I could tell from subsequent times) our body heat mixed with the heater being on before we stopped and our breath kept foging up the car till it looked like it was raining on the inside of the car, like the roof was having a little tinkle. It also happened to be a very cold night. It never got that pronounced again but we could tell that it could when we would talk for hours in the car at night, things would fog up and just get some fringe condensing of droplet formations.

In all honesty I think you are OK. I would check to see though if you had any water in the car like a spill in the back or excessivley damp fabrics and or something previously hot in the car.

K... now that I think about it the only bad thing I can think of is if your heater has a puncture and moisture is accumulating and releasing. (I dont even know if that is possible though, I dont know that much about automotive plumbing so to speak)

Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
there's no problem with your car, it's just happens because of condensation...just turn on the defroster and turn up the heat, and open the vents. if you keep the air cold it'll eventually make water condense on the outside of your windshield, so just don't blast cold air onto the windshield either.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 AM
C_O
odd, i have the same problem but not with the windshield. I don't mean to thread-jack but I get a good amount of condensation on the dashboard above the passenger airbag. anyone else have this problem? is it worth taking my car to the dealer and having them look at it?

-Charlie

Old 12-13-2007, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by C_O
odd, i have the same problem but not with the windshield. I don't mean to thread-jack but I get a good amount of condensation on the dashboard above the passenger airbag. anyone else have this problem? is it worth taking my car to the dealer and having them look at it?

-Charlie
check all the carpet to see if it is damp anywhere. If damp, you may have a leak, or your HVAC is not draining OUT of the car correctly. Too much condensation is abnormal. If your carpet is dry, you are most likely ok.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:26 AM
i also have this problem. don't have A/C so someone told me to always use heat in my car.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I get way more ice on the inside windshield than I did in my previous car. I think it's a combination of the big windows letting the sun heat up the interior more during the day, and the fact that it's closer to air-tight than the old beater I drove previously.

I've been meaning to try some anti-fog coating on it, see if that helps.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
first make sure the air is not in the re-circulate setting.

im pretty sure what is causing that is the heat from the engine
venting out the defrost vents after you shut off the car.

wat i do is after i park, set the vent selector to the upper vent
and then shut off the car. ive not had condensation or fog freezing
up on the Fit's glass yet. if you use a remote starter, then
after shutting off the engine in the upper vent selector, just move
the vent selector back to defrost. as soon as you start the car
next time, it will change to the defrost setting.

my 06 civic use to get condensation and my LegacyWgn's inside
windshield use to freeze before i did this.

not sure if it'll help your case, but worth a try.

Last edited by kenchan; 12-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
also, Honda's are known for fogging up alot and needing to use the defrost during temp variations. the way around that is to install some vent visors and crack the window a little. it keeps the car nice and vented inside.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by El Chupacabura
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. When it is cold out around 30 degrees (Farenheit) there is a thick sheen of water on the inside of my wind sheild. There are large droplets of water that collect on the windshield inside the car. This has happened to me three times now. I took it to the dealer today and at first they told me there was nothing wrong with the car I told them that there was indeed something wrong, they eventually agreed to keep the car over night to see if they could duplicate he problem. So has any one else had problems with water on the inside of their car ?

Thanks for all the help !
I guess I forgot to mention one crucial aspect though. This only happens when it is very cold and the car has not been operated for many hours. For example upon returing from a 2 day trip, in which my car stayed at home and was outside the entire time there was LOTS of water on the inside of the windshield when I retured from the trip. The amount of water that collects on the inside of the windshield is comparable to when you go out to your car in the mornings and on top of the car there is a sheen of water and lots of water droplets. This is not just the normal fogging up of the windows. The water on the inside of the windshield has happened to me two times the aforementioned time when the car was stationary for two days and another time when the car was only parked for 4 hours. once again this only happens when it is cold outside, around 30 degrees. What confuses me is that to have moisture inside the car wouldnt you need heat ? This only happens when it is cold out and when the car has ben sedinatry for a couple of hours, so it can't be from excess engine heat when the car is parked. Sorry about being unclear the first time any help is still very much appreciated.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
sunlight can generate heat inside your car.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
^ True... the sun is very hot, but this has only happened to my car at night.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
humm... try running the a/c while driving and after you shut off the car,
see if it makes a difference in reciculate mode.

i noticed new cars are shipped with the vent set on recirculate.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Like it was mentioned before, if you have mostiure on the inside of the car then there is mositure in it already. The mositure is evaporating from inside the car. Check for any spilled water or some snow thats melting in your car that you track in. You might as well leave your window open a crack too.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
As someone else said:
NEVER EVER put the slider on RECIRCULATE except when it is very hot in the summer and you are using the AC.

ALWAYS keep the slider to the right on FRESH AIR!