General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Condensation On Middle AC Vents???

Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Condensation On Middle AC Vents???

Greetings again Fit Freaks!!!

This time I'm shifting from transmission questions to a question about my AC system. I normally open the vents to fresh air when I first start the car, and let things cool down before switching to recirc mode. This afternoon however, I left it in fresh air mode, and when I pulled into the driveway at home, I noticed some condensation on the fins behind the outer vent grills. There was also some condensation just below the middle AC vents on the flat plastic area just above the CD player opening.

My cabin air filter looks fine, and the AC drain tube is fine and spilling out water as it normally does. It is sort of humid today and fairly hot, but even on hotter, more humid days earlier this Summer I've never experienced this. Then again, those days were always met with the AC on recirc at all times.

Has anyone else had this issue come up for them? My Fit is a two and half month old 5MT Sport with less than 3500 miles on it so far.

Any help on this would be great!!!

DAN

Last edited by 7red7; 08-25-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
This happens on my Fit too, although I never really considered it a problem. I guess the cold air blowing over the plastic cools it down and causes the water in the air to condense on it, much like on a cold glass.

I can't think of anything you could really do about it, though.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I noticed condensation when i was using my a/c, then shut it off before i went to park and by the time i was ready to shut the car off condensation had already built up on that area you spoke of. Condensation is pretty normal and i've seen it on all the cars i've been in before, but none have ever had a platform like the fit - esp since part of the vent is below that platform when you have it set so the air blows directly at you.

It shouldn't be an issue.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
I questioned this too right after I got my Fit. Not really anything you an do. To lessen it push those vents all the way up, but even then it still happens. My only concern is the amount of moisture that is obviously in the vents causing mold and milder to grow in there faster than it does on other cars, since I've never seen this happen on any other car I have ever had.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:33 AM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
my fit does this everytime i use the ac on hi... found it cool i like to take the condensation water and splash my passengers lol

Old 08-25-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
It's heat from the CDplayer/radio, it stopped when I replaced the OEM head unit with a tiny sony aftermarket one.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Ah the OE HU heat would make a lot of sense.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
it's just condensation don't sweat it

Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
ahh that's weird the HU basically makes it do that.

hmm..
i LOVE the way the OEM head unit looks though
**** it, i'd deal with the condensation

Old 08-25-2008, 03:10 AM
5 Year Member
so would i....

if you like the look, condensation doesn't matter too much.

If you want that to stop, insulate the ducts inside, not much room , but it's well worth it if you hate the water, and you love the setup.

I am thinking of getting some sort of AC duct insulation for the car. after I relocate my batter.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
ive had it happen too i wasn't going to worry about it much but imo a new car shouldn't do this. i started worrying when i got a cd error and couldn't get the cd out for 10 minutes and when i got it out the cd was wet. this is my 3rd honda with this problem i had a 07 accord se that did it so bad it would get stuff in the glove box wet

Old 08-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
onoez, if the cd get's wet :/
that's not good at all

Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Head unit getting wet is def not good, but I highly doubt the head unit has anything to do with the condensation.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:40 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by doctordoom
it's just condensation don't sweat it
Its not really a problem but it can be a problem. I know with all this rain around my area the humidity has been extreme.

Anytime I opened my door from an kind of commute. My AC vents would just drip with water instantly.
My CD player screen actually fogged up real bad for 3 days. Did it twice.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 PM
It had to be th humidity yesterday because there's nothing on the vents this time around. I have to remember to get it into recirc asap

Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Only happens to me when I shut of the A/C and leave the cold vent on. If it gets bad I wipe it with my microfiber...

Even though it's not off long b/c it's usually heating up or getting humid enough to turn the A/C back on!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 7red7
Greetings again Fit Freaks!!!

This time I'm shifting from transmission questions to a question about my AC system. I normally open the vents to fresh air when I first start the car, and let things cool down before switching to recirc mode. This afternoon however, I left it in fresh air mode, and when I pulled into the driveway at home, I noticed some condensation on the fins behind the outer vent grills. There was also some condensation just below the middle AC vents on the flat plastic area just above the CD player opening.

My cabin air filter looks fine, and the AC drain tube is fine and spilling out water as it normally does. It is sort of humid today and fairly hot, but even on hotter, more humid days earlier this Summer I've never experienced this. Then again, those days were always met with the AC on recirc at all times.

Has anyone else had this issue come up for them? My Fit is a two and half month old 5MT Sport with less than 3500 miles on it so far.

Any help on this would be great!!!

DAN

The condensation is coming from the hot humid air your A/C draws in when not in recirculation. It just means the fan speed is so high its carrying condensed water thru the vent.
Why not begin in recirc rather than 'fresh' as logically cooling just the cabin air is quicker than cooling the cabin and outside air. And if you want the fastest cooldown its more likely to open the windows for a few seconds to drive out the cabin hot air and close them to gain the A/C.
good luck.