General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

heater problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 AM
5 Year Member
heater problems

well got in my 08 fit sport tonight the first time ive driven it in cool weather and the heater doesn't work. i'm so pissed its not funny the blower motor works and everything else works. i'm at a loss for what it could be the antifreeze level is ok no fuses blown just when i turn the knob to heat it only blows cold air anyone else had this problem? oh it has the stock head unit too i'm going to try and get it to the stealership in the morning and i hope they don't have to tear apart my dash to fix it. edit: the a/c button is off.

Last edited by peg_leg; 10-21-2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
might be a dumb question, but do you have your have your A/C button on?

Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 AM
5 Year Member
no i don't i forgot to say that in my original post and no its not a dumb question thanks for reminding me to post that.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Might be a dumb question but are your windows down? It is kinda cool outside this time of year.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
lol nah they where up and update they fixed it the linkage came off so i'm glade it was a simple fix.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by peg_leg
well got in my 08 fit sport tonight the first time ive driven it in cool weather and the heater doesn't work. i'm so pissed its not funny the blower motor works and everything else works. i'm at a loss for what it could be the antifreeze level is ok no fuses blown just when i turn the knob to heat it only blows cold air anyone else had this problem? oh it has the stock head unit too i'm going to try and get it to the stealership in the morning and i hope they don't have to tear apart my dash to fix it. edit: the a/c button is off.
OK- I bite - did you wait for the engine (actually, for the engine coolant) to heat up? Probably 3-5 minutes?

Old 10-22-2008, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
sure did i drove it for about 35 minutes went to pick up my wife from work but the stealership found the problem and fixed it. i'm glad i know the service manager.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:23 AM
Yeah, if you didn't know the service manager you'd never have gotten it fixed.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
i don't know, the dealership is called west side honda and its a real good dealer ive never had any problems with them.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Noticing the same thing. Started a thread here for some input: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post480612

See you went to a Honda dealership and they fixed the problem. Can you elaborate on EXACTLY what was the issue? I'm booking an appointment for this week and it would help alot if I knew what was fixed on your car. Thanks!

Last edited by FitCanada_Girl; 11-03-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
ski
5 Year Member
sure did i drove it for about 35 minutes went to pick up my wife from work but the stealership found the problem and fixed it. i'm glad i know the service manager.
What caused the problem?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
it was a linkage that switched the a/c or cold air to hot air they said it was a simple fix hope that helps fitcanada girl.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:55 AM
it was a linkage that switched the a/c or cold air to hot air they said it was a simple fix hope that helps fitcanada girl.
Thanks! I've got a couple of plausible explanations but end result is I should book my car in ASAP! Calling now. +Rep to you. Hopefully this IS a quick/simple fix. Just 6 weeks on my car now....

Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the linkage pegleg is talking about is the linkage us stereo folks undo when we
remove the stock HU. i was about to post 'check linkage' but noticed he already
got the problem solved.

the linkage problems does not appear to be consistent with fitcanadagirl's
because she's getting heat, but it dissapates sitting idle.

if the linkage was broken i think she would either get heat or no heat or just
no control of the heat.

i think it has something to do with the coolant level/cooling system for her.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM
M4psycho offered the following: "
I was just doing some investigation myself on the web, since I wasn't 100% convinced about the thermostat being the culprit. It looks like this is a common issue if there is air in your coolant system/not enough coolant fluid. This prevents good circulation while you're idling 'cause either air is blocking the way or there's not enough fluid to flow through the heater core (when you're idling). This isn't a problem when you're moving because everything is forced through quite nicely. To remedy this you can bleed out the cooling line while topping it off while the car is idling. (Open the rad cap, idle the car for 5-10 minutes and keep topping up the rad fluid until it doesn't drop anymore).

Of course the thermostat can be an issue too if it's "sticking"....but apparently that would cause a cycle of hot-warm-hot-warm rather than cold, 'cause your engine shouldn't cool off *that* quickly when idling.

Things are starting to make a bit more sense! I can't guarantee that all of the above is 100% true but that's all I've got right now. "

I'm booked tomorrow at 2h30 PM at my Honda dealership so will let them do the fiddling. I'll update everyone once they figure out the problem/resolution....

Originally Posted by kenchan
the linkage pegleg is talking about is the linkage us stereo folks undo when we
remove the stock HU. i was about to post 'check linkage' but noticed he already
got the problem solved.

the linkage problems does not appear to be consistent with fitcanadagirl's
because she's getting heat, but it dissapates sitting idle.

if the linkage was broken i think she would either get heat or no heat or just
no control of the heat.

i think it has something to do with the coolant level/cooling system for her.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
^^ sounds good. i think it could be a combination of both...the low coolant level and the thermostat. keep us posted wat the root cause was.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Problem (maybe) resolved!

Ok, just got back from 2 hours sitting at the Honda dealership. I explained my exact issue with the heating system. They ended up "bleeding" the block heater. Exact words on my invoice are:
OPS10 BLEED THE SYSTEM ALL OK
4ITECH 1.20
,,,,,4191 no heat repaired b.h added new a/f

So, end result was an issue with my freaken block heater! For back story, the first remote starter they installed ended up being defective and I went 5 DAYS without my car (driving an '09 LX loaner) while they ordered/installed a second unit. Not having much luck with darn accessories!

Small consolation that it was NOT a problem with the car itself or the coolant system...phew! Can't test today since it is freakishly hot around here and will be so for the rest of the week. I'll report back if the problem is REALLY fixed once we get back to normal temps around here...

Old 11-04-2008, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
Way to work up your posting #s with the dual posts!!

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
I'll follow in your treadmarks.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I have NO idea what you're talking about. Oh look, I'm at rep 17 (vs. say rep 13 which is oh, 4 LESS!)

Quick Reply: heater problems