General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Toyota Yaris Review: Small is scary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Toyota Yaris Review: Small is scary?

Yaris gets great mileage, feels small on the road
Gas-sipping Toyota, which replaces the Echo, triggers bully instinct in giant SUV drivers.
Anita Lienert / Special to The Detroit News

ANN ARBOR -- When the 2006 Detroit News Automotive Consumer panel toured the auto show recently, all 10 members said they hated the new slate of small, fuel-efficient cars that were the talk of the show.
"We're Americans," explained Andrew Hetletvedt, a 31-year-old architect who lives in Detroit. "We like big cars."
So what if gas prices are high and money is tight? The panel, which ranges in age from 17 to 53, preferred big boats like the Chrysler Imperial concept.
So with their negativity about upcoming subcompacts such as the 2007 Nissan Versa and the 2007 Honda Fit fresh in my mind, I was eager to spend a week in the new 2007 Toyota Yaris, if only to gather enough ammunition to prove them wrong and convince them that "small is big," as a number of automakers are fond of saying this year.
The Yaris will replace the tiny Echo in Toyota's U.S. lineup when it debuts in April in three-door liftback and four-door sedan configurations. I drove both versions late last year in Atlanta and then got back into the Yaris sedan for a longer test-drive here in February.
The Yaris rides on a longer wheelbase than the Echo, which left the lineup after the 2005 model year, and the Yaris likely will be a bit more expensive than the car it replaces.
Toyota has yet to announce Yaris prices, but it says both models will be "well under $13,000." A base Echo retailed for around $11,525, including destination, while the Chevrolet Aveo sedan starts at under $10,000.
The Yaris, now the littlest Toyota, is impressive because it will save you quite a bit of cash at the pump. The sedan version equipped with a five-speed manual transmission should return 34 mpg in city driving and 40 mpg on the highway, according to an EPA estimate. The Yaris liftback with a four-speed automatic transmission is estimated to return 34/39 mpg in city and highway driving.
In the past, those kinds of fuel-economy numbers were a signal that your vehicle was the Lenten special of the auto world -- a virtual hair shirt that was designed to feel like punishment. In other words, a vehicle with a cramped interior constructed out of cheap-yet-cheerful-looking materials that was bound to serve as a constant reminder of your paltry income and loser status.
But the five-passenger Yaris sedan makes you feel a bit more like a master of the universe -- at least while you're parked in the garage or sitting in the driveway.
The cabin feels relatively roomy and looks somewhat upscale, with such touches as a center console that is painted silver to mimic the trendy matte metal in so many luxury cars and decent upholstery in an unusual '70s-looking pattern. The sedan's trunk is deep and roomy. And while the standard rear seats in the sedan are fixed, you can order 60/40 split seats that improve the vehicle's flexibility. Toyota engineers say they even worked on the "door slam sound" to make sure it sounded "heavy" and not too tinny.
And while the liftback is the cuter of the two models, with an almost huggable countenance, the Yaris sedan has a pleasing exterior, with a snub-nosed front end and a conservative, yet timeless-looking silhouette.
My main problem with the Yaris has nothing to do with the car itself.
My concern is that this small Toyota -- which slots in underneath the Corolla in size -- seems to trigger the bully instinct in other drivers, most notably those behind the wheel of pickup trucks or giant SUVs. I don't know whether it was a function of driving a Japanese car around the Detroit area during a time when so many autoworkers were being laid-off and plants were being shut down, but the Yaris brought out the worst in people.
Even though I'm a notoriously conservative driver, I felt myself being extra careful in the Yaris -- never quite sure if other drivers didn't see me or actually were out to get me. The tailgate-happy Dodge Ram drivers seemed to be the worst in this case.
"Small is scary," I thought.
I was struck by this sensation, given the fact that the Yaris sedan is more than 19 inches longer than its liftback counterpart. It also has one of the longest wheelbases in its segment, longer than the Aveo and the Fit, making it one of the bigger cars in its class.
I did not encounter the same reaction on the earlier Georgia drive, but that circuit did not include freeway driving and was limited to a primarily residential route that rarely took the vehicles over 40 mph.
My other concern about the Yaris sedan is its center-mounted instrument cluster, which includes critical information such as the speedometer and fuel gauge. It is distracting and forces you to take your eyes off the road momentarily to check it. But that setup is a function of the Yaris being a global car, built to serve a number of markets, including those which require right-hand-drive vehicles.
Both the Yaris sedan and the liftback are powered by a 1.5-liter DOHC four-cylinder engine, the same one that is found in the Prius and the Scion xA and xB. It makes 106 horsepower and 103 pounds-feet of torque. It can feel a bit underpowered in some situations, such as merging and passing on the freeway, and it is noisy at higher speeds. The standard transmission is a five-speed manual.
The Yaris sedan was easy to maneuver and park, thanks in part to its electric rack-and-pinion power steering. The turning circle is a tight 32.6 feet.
Expect to pay extra for most safety features on the Yaris, including antilock brakes, front side air bags and side curtain air bags that protect all outboard passengers.
The Aveo, a chief competitor to the Yaris, has standard front side bags for 2006. The 2007 Honda Fit will trump the Aveo and the Yaris when it comes out this spring, with standard antilock brakes, front side bags and side curtain air bags. You can't get stability control on the Yaris, either.
The base Yaris sedan includes such standard features as air conditioning, a tilt steering column, intermittent wipers and two unusual cupholders that fold down out of the instrument panel. But it doesn't include items such as lighted vanity mirrors, and the rear seat is short on amenities and feels as hard as a picnic bench. And you can't get a rear-seat entertainment system in the Yaris.
The uplevel Yaris S sedan includes an AM/FM/CD player with MP3 capability, a rear defroster and 15-inch wheels.
The Yaris is covered by a 3-year/36,000-mile basic warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
Looking back on my week in the Yaris -- which is supposedly named for the Greek god of health, according to Toyota -- I have mixed feelings. If everyone on the road drove pint-sized cars, this would be an excellent choice -- at the top of the pack.
I'm beginning to see the wisdom of the panel in its desire to shy away from the subcompacts that are being widely promoted by the domestic and Asian manufacturers. The new small cars like the Yaris may have their merits, but I just like to be surrounded by a bit more metal as I jockey for position on my daily commute.
Small may be big, but it is going to require an adjustment.

Do any of you who drive small cars experience this type of bullying behavior by drivers in larger vehicles where you live?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I used to drive a red 1990 Civic Si hb to work (120km round trip commute). I never had a feeling of anyone trying to run me off the road, either intensinally or by accident.

My green 1992 Integra GS-R is a different story, people walk in front of me, and I get cut off constantly. And this car is bigger than the Civic, and IMO a brighter colour.

The Fit will be fine in my area, especially a bright coloured one.

Last edited by b17gsr; 03-02-2006 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I think the bullying says a lot about the drivers of said vehicles.

Don't experience it around here and I drive a small enough vehicle on a daily basis that I think I would (Miata).

(as a side note, the writer apparently has mastered the trick of glancing at a standard instrument panel while somehow not taking her eyes off the road? Impressive. My guess is that you're just more conscious of glancing when the instruments aren't in the same place as normal).

Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 AM
I'm currently driving a Mazda 323 hatchback, abut the same length as the NA Fit, but 4 inches shorter and a few inches narrower. I've been bullied a few times - 6 or less - over the last 25 years in Northern California.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Talking Me firsters vs. Jap-lovin' tree huggers?

I prefer smaller vehicles due to their innate efficiency and overall maneuvrability. I've never been bullied while driving my first generation Miata, but have had a few (less than 10) "incidents" while driving my '91 Civic cx over the last decade. They usually involved people in SUV's. I should point out that I am by and large a safe, responsible and defensive driver - but I will always take advantage of a passing opportunity that presents itself, but only so long at it is a "clean" pass. I'm of the oppinion that it has mostly to do with the "type" of character behind an SUV's steering wheel. But then again, drivers of Mercs and Bimmers seem to be cut from the same cloth, ie: they don't necessarily like sharing the road. Curiously, my wife has had a few incidents in her Mini Cooper as well, yet I find that people will let me get away with much more when I'm driving her car. Maybe its toy-like aspect (chili red with white top, mirrors & wheels) inclines some drivers to be more accepting of their place on the totem pole: your position in moving traffic should be inversely proportional to your size!

Old 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Aveo

I drove a rental Aveo in Miami. It actually felt bigger than I expected. Didn't notice that drivers behaved worse than normal, which is pretty bad. (Being a pedestrian is even worse. They honk at you when you are in a crosswalk and have the right of way.)

I don't see that the reviewer said what color the Yaris was. Here in Toronto, my wife went from a red civic to a silver one and it seemed like the car was invisible. I drive a red Matrix, and don't have the same issues with people pulling out in front of me. OTOH people in expensive cars and suvs seem to have a sense of entitlement that won't quit. I don't think that is about my car.

Also I think tailgating is just something some (stupid) people do.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM
So true. As much as I love silver and grey, it makes a car, especially a small one, blend in too much with the pavement.

There was a huge accident in my town a few years back with a bus. The driver rear ended a broken down silver Sebring that was parked in a bus lane. He said he never noticed the car...

Old 03-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Exclamation

Once again living too far north must cause misperceptions because of the sun's angle.

http://channels.netscape.com/autos/p...color/carcolor

Silver is one of the SAFEST COLORS!!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
Once again living too far north must cause misperceptions because of the sun's angle.

http://channels.netscape.com/autos/p...color/carcolor

Silver is one of the SAFEST COLORS!!!!
Well that changes everything! My next car was going to be white, and silver was my second choice.

Silver looks good.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Wow, thanks for the great input.

Are you also going to inform us that all toilets flush clockwise? I'd like to know how relevant that research is to other countries.

Silver is not a colour that stands out, so why is it considered safer? Does it magically stand out in the fog, at dusk, in the snow? Is it because it's more popular for more expensive cars, cars driven by older people with more experience?

http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/CarColorAndSafety.pdf

This article says otherwise.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:28 PM
"We're Americans," explained Andrew Hetletvedt, a 31-year-old architect who lives in Detroit. "We like big cars."

i can't believe an architect said that - he most not be a good architect since the rest of us are concerned about design, innovation, efficiency and the environment. plus i don't care how american you are giant cars (specially if you are an architect and not a contractor) or simply bad taste.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
Wow, thanks for the great input.

Are you also going to inform us that all toilets flush clockwise? I'd like to know how relevant that research is to other countries.

Silver is not a colour that stands out, so why is it considered safer? Does it magically stand out in the fog, at dusk, in the snow? Is it because it's more popular for more expensive cars, cars driven by older people with more experience?

http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/CarColorAndSafety.pdf

This article says otherwise.
b17gsr: You might want to hold the sarcasm and actually read the article you cited. It cites the same study Jonniedee linked. It only mentions anecdotes regarding the supposed invisibility of of silver cars, and closes with, "...the bottome line is that there is presently no scientific evidence supporting the selection of one particular vehicle color as the unambiguous best choice for safety,"

The oldest excuse in the book is, "I just didn't see him." Whether they weren't paying attention, or are just plain lying, it doesn't really matter what color your car is, because it is smashed.

In times of reduced visibility, I would suggest turning on your lights.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I read it. And the findings are more realistic in this white paper IMO. My "says otherwise" = no real proof about one colour being safer than others.

Aren't all new cars in North America equipped with daytime running lights? Still doesn't mean the person at the wheel will turn on the lights at night. I'm blown away by the number of cars I see driving around with the day time running lights, no dash lights, and no tail lights when its pitch black. They are definately a danger to everyone.

I saw the silver car before the accident. I testified against the bus driver. I was extremely ticked off when he was found not guilty of rear ending that parked car, killing a 18 month old boy, paralising the father and seriously injuring the mother.

Old 03-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, the Foundation's 4-page summary does not necessarily properly distinguish between "high visibility" and "safe" vehicle colours. In our (UQAM Department of Design - Transport Design) studies on the impact of specific colour choices when accounting for the visually impaired, we found that bright yellow was the easiest to distinguish when superimposed against most backrounds, and remained highly visible during dusk and under very low light conditions.

Red became almost invisible under low light conditions and (just as in the Foundation's conclusion) was also difficult to discern via peripheral vision.

Silver-grey was less visible under low to very low light conditions, and especially so when the relative angle of light (according to the given position of the sun relative the horizon) was smaller rather than greater, as is the case in winter when one lives above the 49th parallel. However, a silver-grey form is not any more difficult to discern than is green or black.

Black, an absorber of the visual light spectrum is extremely difficult to discern against a bright backround at great distances - hence its use by air forces around the world as the colour of choice for their high-flying spy planes.

Since no scientific studies (correctly stated by the Foundation) in the English language have been published correlating safety, accident rates and choice of vehicle colour, due to the lack of uniformity of compiled information (and the impossibility of setting up a control group for this type of study/testing), I feel that one should consider the degree of visibility that they'd like to confer on their vehicle. If you want to speed around in a Q-ship, then silver-grey is not such a bad choice -especially since it's so common nowadays! If you want to be a defensive driver who wants to increase his/her visibility vis-à-vis the surounding backround, then by all means pick bright yellow. Just know that this will also mean that you will be increasing your chances of being pulled over when driving over the speed limit or committing various moving violations.

Sorry about the long-winded sentences. I hope that this has clarified matters.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:30 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by Green Lightning
Silver-grey was less visible under low to very low light conditions, and especially so when the relative angle of light (according to the given position of the sun relative the horizon) was smaller rather than greater, as is the case in winter when one lives above the 49th parallel.
Hence my reference to the angle of the sun up in Canada - no offense intended
I am actually jealous of Canadian's and their open minded / realistic take on the world compared to some other North American country....

Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by BKKJack

The oldest excuse in the book is, "I just didn't see him." Whether they weren't paying attention, or are just plain lying, it doesn't really matter what color your car is, because it is smashed.

In times of reduced visibility, I would suggest turning on your lights.
As a motorcyclist that excuse is trotted out so many times. All bikes in Oz are wired with the headlight always on to increase visability. Most of us now ride round with fluro glow in the dark vests over the full riding gear (boots, gloves, full helmets, armour plated pants, armour plated jackets and armadillos - spine protectors) and still the cages don't see us.

Doesn't matter what colour your car, lights on lights off, people with tunnel vision aren't going to see you.

A new rider once asked me how did you know when a car is going to change lanes when it fails to signal. My reply "because when most car drivers turn their head they turn the wheel at the same time. They more often lack the co-ordination to do one without the other. They aren't trained to do head checks like riders." You have to drive and ride for the other road users and always assume the worst to stay alive.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by vividjazz
All bikes in Oz are wired with the headlight always on to increase visability.
Same here state - side ! I also ride with my scooter with the high beams on during the day...and a thumb on the horn button at all times in traffic.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:47 PM
and a thumb on the horn button at all times in traffic.
hehehe!

My father once told me about his 80cc motorcycle. He got fed up of getting cut off, so he installed an air horn with a mini compressor. All the cars that cut him off got a goot honking, and a few probably crapped their pants thinking they cut off a big truck.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I found this article to be disappointing.

"We're Americans; we like big cars." Well, you certainly can't judge the entire population by a smattering of 10 people at an autoshow, can you.

Americans aren't offered a choice of a "pint-sized" car other than the Aveo, xA/xB and now, the Fit. Just because small cars didn't sell well 10-15 years ago doesn't mean they won't sell now. The Scions have been very successful.

I hope this whole segment explodes with popularity. So far, the Aveo is the best-selling economy car in the U.S. It's inexpensive, gets halfways-decent milage and it's (kinda) good looking. Now take those qualities and add manufacturuers such as Toyota and Honda and now you have well-built cars that are inexpensive, fuel-efficant and halfways good looking.

My point is Americans need to get over this "We're Americans; we like big cars" attitude. It doesn't take a ton of people to change the way people think. Hopefully, the Yaris, Fit, xA, xB, Aveo and other B-market cars can make people think twice about buying a Suburban to drive to work everyday by themselves.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Amen brother!

Quick Reply: Toyota Yaris Review: Small is scary?